Effect of CDC and other government travel recommendations.

Robjame

This is not meant to be a rehash of other threads but...

The recent CDC recommendation against cruise travel has coincided with a number of cancellations in our March 2022 roll call - previously a fully booked cruise. As well, Oceania lowered the cost of suites by $450 pp for a concierge stateroom.

Not that I would object to reduced capacity sailings, but at what point (probably after the penalties begin)  does Oceania pull the plug on a cruse?

BTW - as a Canadian, the government advisory against all cruise travel, has resulted in our group travel insurance no longer covering cruise travel.

29 minutes ago, Robjame said:

This is not meant to be a rehash of other threads but...

The recent CDC recommendation against cruise travel has coincided with a number of cancellations in our March 2022 roll call - previously a fully booked cruise. As well, Oceania lowered the cost of suites by $450 pp for a concierge stateroom.

Not that I would object to reduced capacity sailings, but at what point (probably after the penalties begin)  does Oceania pull the plug on a cruse?

BTW - as a Canadian, the government advisory against all cruise travel, has resulted in our group travel insurance no longer covering cruise travel.

Cancelations for 2021-22 cruises will not be a problem for O. There are still many outstanding FCC holders (with “cruise by” deadlines now later than 12/31/21) still looking for cabin availability.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are still many outstanding FCC holders (with “cruise by” deadlines now later than 12/31/21) still looking for cabin availability.

Thanks. So do you mean these FCC holders are just kicking the can down the road?

If this were the case, why lower the price for a formally fully cruise by $900 per suite?

I believe what the CDC advisory stated was “people with underlying health conditions should not sail”. That’s different from saying no one should go on a cruise ship, imo. 

The CDC didn’t go into detail on what those underlying conditions might be, but it doesn’t take a lot of imagination based upon what’s already been printed on the matter. Of course, on this board one will be attacked for questioning whether one with congestive heart failure should be on a cruise ship in the best of times, so the CDC stayed PC with it.

From reading the Celebrity board it appears the management perceived "pent up demand" and overflow of FCCs, is not really filling the ships they have back in operation to even 50%. Even if they wanted to go more they don't seem to have the bookings to do it. There are other factors, going always included, big price increases, boring itineraries, too many hoops to jump through to sail, etc. 

I just hope for Oceania's sake they don't experience the same situation once they actually start back. 

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I believe what the CDC advisory stated was “people with underlying health conditions should not sail”. That’s different from saying no one should go on a cruise ship, imo. 

The CDC didn’t go into detail on what those underlying conditions might be, but it doesn’t take a lot of imagination based upon what’s already been printed on the matter. Of course, on this board one will be attacked for questioning whether one with congestive heart failure should be on a cruise ship in the best of times, so the CDC stayed PC with it.

There is a difference in what the CDC says and the Canada Government says. Our insurance follows the rules of the Canadian Government not the CDC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I just hope for Oceania's sake they don't experience the same situation once they actually start back. 

The 3 replacement cruises in French Polynesia on Regatta in February have availability in all categories apart from a Suite on 2 cruises.

Edited by Tranquility Base

I am with you Jan, in fact we just had a group of friends add a Caribbean cruise in March 2022 and give me about three weeks, we will be booking two or three cruises in 2023-24 on Vista.  
I would bet the Vista introduction on September 15 will be a BOOMING day on the O reservation line. 
Gerry 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Tranquility Base said:

The 3 replacement cruises in French Polynesia on Regatta in February have availability in all categories apart from a Suite on 2 cruises.

That may not be a good option. French Polynesia has closed down again. Windstar ship was ordered to return to Tahiti. Nobody can leave the ship until they arrange air out of there.    We are still on the fence about future cruising.  We have future bookings. For now we wait and hope for safer times.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

That may not be a good option.

Absolutely.

It appears many of the recently released replacement cruises for both Regatta and Nautica have wide availability.

People are being cautious regarding first half 2022 bookings as travel restrictions and requirements continuously evolve.