Dawn November inaugural cruise cancelled?

bitob

1 minute ago, bitob said:

Thanks -- I wonder where that rumor came from . . . The Crystal folks said passengers on another SS ship were informed of the cancellation 2 days ago.

Also read some of the items below.

Strangely, I am unable to get a response from my SS contacts. I was calling today anyway to ask the question for the Dawns South America season, but this has reminded me. Usually when they are in another call or unable to answer, it goes to answerphone. For the first time ever, its just ringing.

Hopefully, nothing to be alarmed about, but strange coincidence!!!

@ls37b If you look at the top of the Silversea web page, it says they are experiencing problems with their phone system. (I also haven't ben able to get into My Silversea today; don't know if it's related or a separate problem.) 

35 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@ls37b If you look at the top of the Silversea web page, it says they are experiencing problems with their phone system. (I also haven't ben able to get into My Silversea today; don't know if it's related or a separate problem.) 

Ok many thanks. I'd not looked on their website... I did say hopefully nothing to be alarmed about. First time in 7 years I've not been answered or voice messaged.

• Like 1

I'm on the Manaus to FLL segment in March next year. Think I have until end of October for the 100% refund cancellation.  Can't see SS taking any decisions by then then so its going to come down to gut feeling and at the moment its not feeling good😒

12 minutes ago, Reef Knot said:

I'm on the Manaus to FLL segment in March next year. Think I have until end of October for the 100% refund cancellation.  Can't see SS taking any decisions by then then so its going to come down to gut feeling and at the moment its not feeling good😒

Or just let SS drive and if they cancel you get 100% refund or 110% future cruise credit.

And by the way we are on the same cruise!

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Ok many thanks. I'd not looked on their website... I did say hopefully nothing to be alarmed about. First time in 7 years I've not been answered or voice messaged.

One of my friends rang in a bit of a panic a short while ago, she had been trying all day!

I spoke to my TA (very connected) who of course could not get through to Silversea.

He did express concern that the ship is supposed to go to South America after the TA.  I looked at those following itineraries and they do not seem too problematic to me but who knows.

13 hours ago, seaver said:

Or just let SS drive and if they cancel you get 100% refund or 110% future cruise credit.

And by the way we are on the same cruise!

Fair point Seaver, I'll probably let it ride. Hopefully see you in Manaus. 

15 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

As of Sunday, according to Colonel Wes's SS contacts at the Fincantieri shipyard, he was told the Dawn remains on schedule and that the crossing from Lisbon to FLL "will be great".

I wonder who will be sailing on if if the restrictions on "foreign arrival ships" quarantine is still in place and non US citizens still not able to sail to the US? I've a feeling that tourist restriction which was allegedly going to happen in October isn't going to happen. The whole day by day checking for restriction changes is getting tedious now. Ive got another UK seacation this weekend, which I'm confident will happen (and will be my third), but my first "proper" cruise is in 28 days time from Malta sailing to Montenegro and then Croatia. Since booking, the no cruise restriction got lifted and the "quarantine for 10 days" on return from Amber countries removed, so all looked like it was going well..... But this week, Montenegro is possibly going to red. If that happens, no one will go (or very few) because of the 10 day hotel quarantine bill..... and I suspect the next port of call wont accept you either. (I guess viking will have a sea day instead to avoid.) 

The prospects of the Dawn sailing beyond FLL to South America just isn't going to happen. The sooner SS come clean on this and their plans for the ship, the better IMHO. Of course, that suggestion is an opinion - but I'll wager anyone its right. When the itineraries for the Moon doing this a year previous were scuppered, I got the info direct from a SS VP, they would look for alternatives and the Caribbean would be the likely outcome. I see nothing that would change this scenario and suspect, this is being done in the background right now for the Dawn.

That said, I noticed some the Caribbean Islands are now red. Maybe bookings will become magical mystery tours decided a day or so before arriving!

Edited by les37b

4 hours ago, les37b said:

I wonder who will be sailing on if if the restrictions on "foreign arrival ships" quarantine is still in place and non US citizens still not able to sail to the US? I've a feeling that tourist restriction which was allegedly going to happen in October isn't going to happen. The whole day by day checking for restriction changes is getting tedious now. Ive got another UK seacation this weekend, which I'm confident will happen (and will be my third), but my first "proper" cruise is in 28 days time from Malta sailing to Montenegro and then Croatia. Since booking, the no cruise restriction got lifted and the "quarantine for 10 days" on return from Amber countries removed, so all looked like it was going well..... But this week, Montenegro is possibly going to red. If that happens, no one will go (or very few) because of the 10 day hotel quarantine bill..... and I suspect the next port of call wont accept you either. (I guess viking will have a sea day instead to avoid.) 

The prospects of the Dawn sailing beyond FLL to South America just isn't going to happen. The sooner SS come clean on this and their plans for the ship, the better IMHO. Of course, that suggestion is an opinion - but I'll wager anyone its right. When the itineraries for the Moon doing this a year previous were scuppered, I got the info direct from a SS VP, they would look for alternatives and the Caribbean would be the likely outcome. I see nothing that would change this scenario and suspect, this is being done in the background right now for the Dawn.

That said, I noticed some the Caribbean Islands are now red. Maybe bookings will become magical mystery tours decided a day or so before arriving!

That's the other issue I have , if SS were to go ahead but I can't travel due to coming from a restricted country would I get refunded?. I would be staring and finishing my trip from Africa, will there be any restrictions in place to enter Brazil,  Caribbean countries, flying back from Miami to London and then onto Africa etc. 

7 hours ago, les37b said:

I see nothing that would change this scenario and suspect, this is being done in the background right now for the Dawn.

I bet you are right.

If I were SS and the world isn’t going to open up, I’d just substitute the Moon for the Dawn and keep her in the Caribbean.

Now another complication for this sailing.  Plenty of news articles on this.

European Union "reconsidering" whether to allow US citizens to enter given our poor track record with Covid.  The ship may sail without us!

2 hours ago, bitob said:

European Union "reconsidering" whether to allow US citizens to enter given our poor track record with Covid.

Nothing more than an idle threat in order to create a bargaining chip with U.S. authorities to open our borders to the UK and most Europeans who are unable to travel here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Nothing more than an idle threat in order to create a bargaining chip with U.S. authorities to open our borders to the UK and most Europeans who are unable to travel here.

Hope you are correct!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I wouldn't be so sure. They are more than happy to cut their noses off to spite their faces. (To clarify, I am not talking about the UK here!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1