Dawn November inaugural cruise cancelled?

bitob

14 minutes ago, bitob said:

See my post  Moon substituted for Dawn -- letter to my TA from Silversea

Apologies bitob, finger trouble as I was referring to the below posted previous message;

Asia is canceled, although not officially yet.  The Moon is going to South America taking over the Dawn itinerary. 

I know people booked on various cruises want answers about what is or isn't canceled, or if ships are being changed; I would be avidly seeking that information were I booked on one of those cruises, too.

But... trying to get confirmations before a cruise line is ready to confirm cancellations or changes is really problematic. Should they "announce" the cancellation on a forum like this, or in a reply to someone on a Facebook post in a private group? Should a senior executive confirm to a passenger they know about an upcoming change, and have that passenger start spreading the word to other passengers who will immediately call SS about refunds or transferring to other cruises? Doing so creates animosity from  many other passengers who learn of the cancellation via the grapevine/social media, rather than hearing it from the cruise line directly. So instead, they try to get all their ducks in a row, and then send cancellation notices to passengers and travel agents at the same time. And keep in mind that part of announcing cancellation is having future cruises to propose to passengers; in these crazy times, that may entail adjusting cruise itineraries for 2022 or 2023 so there are direct substitutes for the canceled 2021 cruises. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mayflower1 said:

It looks as if those who purport to have ' Friends ' in high places have no better information than anyone else ? - Silversea, like all Lines will do what is best for them and will advise Guests at a time they decide. However its always nice to receive ' Inside ' Information but dont take it too seriously.

Well said Mayflower

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bitob said:

I think the letter from Silversea to my TA likely went out to ALL TAs.  Public information at this point.

Yup, I have been informed  today that my Amazon cruise will now be on the Moon and not Silver Dawn. Same itinerary, same suite just a different ship.

3 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

That would be a bizarre inaugural embarkation port.

Hi I thought so too. I actually thought she would just stay in Europe and have her Inaugural on April 1 from Lisbon😃sailing to Barcelona as scheduled

Hi Jolly, that sailing (along with all the other ones for Dawn) were not there yesterday......today it is back on the site.....who knows if it is correct or not. From what everyone is saying and via emails, The Moon is replacing the Dawn on these sailings.......maybe they have not completed updates on the website.

14 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

I really hope so because at the moment there are no Moon cruises replacing South American Dawn cruises on SS website

I glad I didn't drink the cool aid. Silversea is doing a bad job.

7 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

Who knows? We shall see. I do not blame SS. The situation is so complicated. Must be a nightmare for any cruise line. 

I agree the situation is terrible, but how hard is it to at least put the Moon's new South America cruises on the website? That's the reason for my bad job comment.

4 hours ago, seaver said:

I agree the situation is terrible, but how hard is it to at least put the Moon's new South America cruises on the website? That's the reason for my bad job comment.

My answer would be that updating the website is more complicated than one might think. They still haven't updated the Antarctica trips on the website, either, and that was announced two weeks earlier -- so that's 17 other cruises awaiting updates. Keep in mind that it's not just the website. Changing a cruise ship/itinerary has to also be updated on all booked passengers' itineraries, invoices, and documents. In the case of the Dawn/Moon ship swap, shore excursions, dining reservations, and spa appointments must be transferred for each cruise. I'm sure that their computer systems were not built with "transfer everything from one ship to a different ship" capabilities, so all these steps take time. And that all must be done while removing the Moon's previous itineraries from the website, canceling all those cruises, processing refund requests, etc. 

"How hard is it to at least put the Moon's new South America cruises on the website?"  I'd say it's not easy with the wave of changes that they are dealing with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruiseej said:

My answer would be that updating the website is more complicated than one might think. They still haven't updated the Antarctica trips on the website, either, and that was announced two weeks earlier -- so that's 17 other cruises awaiting updates. Keep in mind that it's not just the website. Changing a cruise ship/itinerary has to also be updated on all booked passengers' itineraries, invoices, and documents. In the case of the Dawn/Moon ship swap, shore excursions, dining reservations, and spa appointments must be transferred for each cruise. I'm sure that their computer systems were not built with "transfer everything from one ship to a different ship" capabilities, so all these steps take time. And that all must be done while removing the Moon's previous itineraries from the website, canceling all those cruises, processing refund requests, etc. 

"How hard is it to at least put the Moon's new South America cruises on the website?"  I'd say it's not easy with the wave of changes that they are dealing with. 

Agreed, most things are usually more complicated than people think.  It's more than just pushing a few buttons.

• Like 1