When do you reserve sun loungers?

Nataly1982

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

YES this too. Like I get it, we all want a prime seat, but have some dignity. One time in observation deck, my husband got up to go to the bathroom, lady comes over to me and says "Is this seat saved"...so I said nooo you can sit here...have to practice what I preach after all. When my husband came back, he's like "WHAT" and I'm like "we can't be chair hogs" and I got up and said "Lets do something else or find two seats available together" 

The worst is trying to get a seat in the atrium for those small venue shows. You almost have to hog chairs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

YES this too. Like I get it, we all want a prime seat, but have some dignity. One time in observation deck, my husband got up to go to the bathroom, lady comes over to me and says "Is this seat saved"...so I said nooo you can sit here...have to practice what I preach after all. When my husband came back, he's like "WHAT" and I'm like "we can't be chair hogs" and I got up and said "Lets do something else or find two seats available together" 

I was a bit tongue in cheek. The Mexico thing was really like everyone (like little kids) had their spot. I agree about not saving whole rows, but if your partner is gone a few, I don’t have a problem. I don’t like to see smelly feet on the upholstered furniture, though.

When I was at Ibiza, I got back to the hotel at 4AM after a night at privilege, every sun lounger had a towel on them, not for long, every one was in the pool with rapture from the balconies. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I want to hear stories from some bold people who just tossed the hogs' crap and took over the seat.  I'm sure that has happened. 😈

oh yeah I've moved a chair hogs items before, to another chair. Nothing super valuable tho. When they came back, they looked at me, looked at the chair next to me, looked back I me, I shrugged and that was that lol

*btw, they were gone for hours

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I want to hear stories from some bold people who just tossed the hogs' crap and took over the seat.  I'm sure that has happened. 😈

Have a friend who notes the time a HOG has left beds unattended.  Then when the acceptable time has lapsed, has the deck stewards remove the beds complete with leavings to a far flung location and stewards replace them with new.

His take is, the HOG has reserved the bed, but not the position.😀 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Stewards
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, trivimp said:

These threads always make me glad that I am melanin-challenged & never got into the habit of sunbathing.  I'll be enjoying my blender cocktail over there in the shade 🍹😊

I grew  up in Southern Oklahoma where chairs in the shade were considered far more valuable than those in the sun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, I have done it.

I was on a cruise that had a friends and family group on it for a girls' hockey team from Ontario, Canada. Members of the group would go up on deck at the crack of dawn and save deck chairs in the prime location around the pool and an equal number in a shady location. Tee shirts bearing the team name were stretched over the back of the loungers and towels  placed on the seats.

When we decided to go to the pool deck at midday, we simply walked to the vacant loungers, removed the tee shirts and towels and sat down.

Of course the group watch dog stared screaming the chairs were saved. I pointed out that the chairs had been saved and empty when I went to breakfast at seven in the morning and now, four hours later, were still empty and obviously never occupied.

I actually started a mini rebellion as I pointed out to other guests looking for chairs that the reserved loungers were not in use and that the tee shirts and towels could be removed.

While the deck staff would not remove items from saved chairs, they very rapidly came over to be handed the shirts and towels being removed from the chairs.

Approximately twenty of the chairs were being used within a few minutes and passengers pointed out the reserved chairs to passengers as being up for grabs. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

yes you are, no seat saving good grief

Also, since we are talking about CHAIR HOGGING, chair hogging isn't exclusive to the pool deck. I cannot tell you how many times my husband and I have gone to the theatre and had people saving whole rows of seats. This is also hogging. If there is no body present in the chair or an official NCL "reserved" sign on it, I have the right to sit there. And if someone has the audacity to tell me the whole row is saved, I'm getting an NCL employee to help EXPLAIN to this person that unless you are in the Haven or some sort of VIP,  if a butt isn't in the chair, it isn't "Saved" 

Also in the spa, never again we booked the spa only once on the Dawn for Bermuda. Same group of folk's daily and it didn't matter how early we went they would each have two chairs one at the window and a heated chair. Worse part was they would come by save their seats and go to breakfast or lunch, one lady told me her and hubby went to lunch on shore but wanted their  seats when they returned.

Return trip to Boston I went early and could see nobody was there, great thought I. Nope every chair was saved. Staff was no help she said they must be in the showers :(.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Also in the spa, never again we booked the spa only once on the Dawn for Bermuda. Same group of folk's daily and it didn't matter how early we went they would each have two chairs one at the window and a heated chair. Worse part was they would come by save their seats and go to breakfast or lunch, one lady told me her and hubby went to lunch on shore but wanted their  seats when they returned.

Return trip to Boston I went early and could see nobody was there, great thought I. Nope every chair was saved. Staff was no help she said they must be in the showers :(.

That is when you start moving stuff and just shrug when they come back. What are they gonna do, punch you or something and risk getting kicked off ship? 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

That is when you start moving stuff and just shrug when they come back. What are they gonna do, punch you or something and risk getting kicked off ship? 

Let the Deck Stewards do the moving, after all they’re paid to do it and it’s part of their job description.  Strike a Ship’s employee and it’s a full Brand refuse to sail for life.

1 hour ago, aubreyc1988 said:

You "chair de-hoggers" are my heroes!

Can somebody refresh my memory?  How does the pool towel thing work.  Do you show your room key to get a towel and then get charged if it doesn't come back?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Let the Deck Stewards do the moving, after all they’re paid to do it and it’s part of their job description.  Strike a Ship’s employee and it’s a full Brand refuse to sail for life.

I've certainly have asked a deck steward and have had them shrug. when i meant 'they', i meant chair hog and 'you', meaning person who moved their stuff to another chair. it's not like im stealing their stuff, but if a deck person or employee wont move it aside, then I will, i doubt the passenger will assault me for it

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

lol me too, i haven't gotten to that stage yet. I'll move a towel, a kindle/phone to another chair tho, no sweating that. Also who just leaves such valuables on a chair? I have accidentally left my sunglasses on a chair and never found them again

22 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

I've certainly have asked a deck steward and have had them shrug. when i meant 'they', i meant chair hog and 'you', meaning person who moved their stuff to another chair. it's not like im stealing their stuff, but if a deck person or employee wont move it aside, then I will, i doubt the passenger will assault me for it

I have moved things at the pool once. Saw a woman put 6 chairs together at the pool edge with books, slippers, towels etc. on each then leave. It was around 7 AM as I was going through a few hours later these chairs were still empty :(. Told the person at the pool he said just move which one I wanted so I gave him everything :). I swear I wasn't even done walking back and each chair was taken, one lady thanked me for freeing up seats for her.

I was spoken to about this later in the week and did it again, each day for the last 6 days of our 2 week trip.

My issue was with the spa they would save one of each chair then not be there. I paid good money to use the spa with my husband, bad enough they told us we could find seats in the shower area. These were not co-ed, why would I want to sit in a changing/shower area alone :(.

• Like 1

The chair hogs always make me laugh. And some are so bold, it's a little disturbing.

My typical routine on a cruise is to go to the gym at 6am (almost) every morning and I do like to walk across the pool deck to get there or the deck above the pool. I have seen, even at that early time, many chairs already reserved with not a person in sight. I mean that is dedication to your craft. Lol.

After the gym I'll take a shower and go right up to the pool. Actually, we prefer the deck overlooking the pool.

Now, it's about 7:15 am when I go up there and those chairs by the pool and even more by then, are still unoccupied and I'll pay attention to see when any of these people arrive. 

Some aren't there for hours, which is just crazy to me.

TBH, some of you might classify me as a chair hog.

When I go up and pick a place to sit, I take a chair for myself, my wife and my daughter.

My wife and daughter may not show until 9am or later, but I will save chairs for them. The deck above the pool deck is not quite the prime real estate that the area around the pool is. It's one of the reasons we go up there. I never get any slack from anyone that I'm reserving chairs.

It may or may not be a grey area but I believe that as long as I don't leave, it's ok to save these 2 chairs for my immediate family. And the only time I leave my chair is to go in a whirlpool or get a drink at the bar. Bloody Mary's begin at 8:30 for me on a cruise ship.

I'm sailing the Joy in January and this will be my plan for that trip too, although I'm hopeful we will be sailing at a less than 100% capacity and this won't be an issue, even in the OL.

Happy cruising!!