Name change question regarding proof of vaccination

mrak

We are sailing in November and it is looking more and more likely proof of vaccination will be required. A family member was married recently and their passport does not have their new name, but Carnival told them their booking name just needs to match their travel documentation, so she used her maiden name for the booking and problem was solved. Now, Carnival is requiring your vaccination document to match your travel documentation so she now has a problem, as she likely wouldn't get a new passport in time for the cruise. Anyone had experience with this? Would carnival allow a marriage certificate to make the link? We are going to call Carnival to inquire but I was wondering if anyone on here has possibly dealt with this scenario. TIA!

11 minutes ago, mrak said:

We are sailing in November and it is looking more and more likely proof of vaccination will be required. A family member was married recently and their passport does not have their new name, but Carnival told them their booking name just needs to match their travel documentation, so she used her maiden name for the booking and problem was solved. Now, Carnival is requiring your vaccination document to match your travel documentation so she now has a problem, as she likely wouldn't get a new passport in time for the cruise. Anyone had experience with this? Would carnival allow a marriage certificate to make the link? We are going to call Carnival to inquire but I was wondering if anyone on here has possibly dealt with this scenario. TIA!

My daughter is in the exact same situation. My PVP just said to make sure there is a tracking for the name, such as the marriage license. 

• Like 1

Have her contact Carnival, have the information noted on the reservation. Bring all copies of the legal notice to change names, marriage license, etc. As long as all of the pieces of the puzzle match, she should be fine. It may just take a few minutes longer to check things out.

Use her birth certificate and an ID instead of the passport. Bring the passport also for any unforeseen situations.  They have name changes all the time with married women. Marriage certificate is always helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jb8162 said:

Use her birth certificate and an ID instead of the passport. Bring the passport also for any unforeseen situations.  They have name changes all the time with married women. Marriage certificate is always helpful.

Birth cert and ID and Passport all have her maiden name, so she booked under her maiden name, but vaccine card has married name. We plan on calling Carnival to figure it out. 

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The marriage license can be a bridge document between the birth name and name change.

Of course, the smartest solution is to maintain one's birth name  to avoid documentation problems for the rest of one's life.

Changing your name is a PIA. But once it's done it's done. As long as you have a social security card, DL, and passport in your new name; there's no longer documentation problems. I wouldn't not change to a married name over it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Changing your name is a PIA. But once it's done it's done. As long as you have a social security card, DL, and passport in your new name; there's no longer documentation problems. I wouldn't not change to a married name over it. 

As many states change to Real ID driver's licenses, it has been a big problem for women.

Here, in Florida, where the documentation is strict and carefully reviewed, there are many women that have been scrambling to document their serial monogamy change of names over the years to match their birth certificates to their present surname.

I have been very glad over the years that I have never used any other name then the one I was born with. While I am still on my "starter" marriage of 45 years, it differently has been easier over the years at times to have no question of my identity.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I have been very glad over the years that I have never used any other name then the one I was born with. While I am still on my "starter" marriage of 45 years, it differently has been easier over the years at times to have no question of my identity.  

Same here, @Homosassa, although I am only coming up on 30 years for my first one. 

• Like 1

In Wisconsin we have a state registry of vaccines. Like, after I received my COVID shots at Walgreens notification was sent into the vaccine registry and I am able to print off a copy. The registry keeps track through social security numbers. If possible, I would bring everything else already mentioned and this.

55 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Get it in writing via e-mail. If it's not in writing it was never said.

We talked to our PVP today and he confirmed what @tytanbrisaid. Just bring passport, DL, vaccine card, and marriage license and we are good to go. Just has to be traceable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The marriage license can be a bridge document between the birth name and name change.

Of course, the smartest solution is to maintain one's birth name  to avoid documentation problems for the rest of one's life.

A friend of mine who kept her birth name told me that she has frequently encountered complications when traveling with her son, who has her ex husband's last name.  I don't know if this is common but apparently it can happen.

20 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

A friend of mine who kept her birth name told me that she has frequently encountered complications when traveling with her son, who has her ex husband's last name.  I don't know if this is common but apparently it can happen.

I never had a problem with my daughter when she was young (she is now 27). We have been all over Europe as well as the Caribbean and Central America. It still does bother my husband, though😁

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

As many states change to Real ID driver's licenses, it has been a big problem for women.

Here, in Florida, where the documentation is strict and carefully reviewed, there are many women that have been scrambling to document their serial monogamy change of names over the years to match their birth certificates to their present surname.

Once you have a passport you don't really ever need to use a birth certificate again. Your passport proves your citizenship. So, I standby my post that once you have a social security card and passport in your new name it fails to be an issue anymore. All I needed for my real ID was my old DL, social security card, passport, and some bills in my name. All were in my married name. No issues. 

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I am not sure why it's a scramble since a marriage certificate has the maiden name on it.  It shouldn't be difficult for a person to have a birth certificate and a marriage certificate.

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I am not sure why it's a scramble since a marriage certificate has the maiden name on it.  It shouldn't be difficult for a person to have a birth certificate and a marriage certificate.

Agreed. I'm confused about this as well. Do people just routinely not keep track of critical documents like birth certificates and marriage certificates?? I've always had a fire safe in my house where I kept my passport, car titles, personal documents, spare care keys, etc. It's not hard to keep track of this stuff.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zzdoug said:

My daughter was also given my husband's (father's ) name. I have never had a problem traveling with her.  If we were crossing country borders, her birth certificate gave proof of her parents.

27 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The problem arises for women who didn't restore their name after a divorce and went to new owner's name to new owner's name in their serial monogamy.

Now, several marriages and aliases later, they are scrambling for the documentation linking their identity back to their birth name. 

They obviously didn't keep copies of their legal documents.

Even sadder are those women of the generation where they ceased to exist as an entity upon marriage. They were born at a time when birth certificates may or may not exist.  They were known as Mrs Husband's First and last name, never worked outside the home, and never had a social security number in their own name (living off the man's benefits).

And now, in their eighties and nineties, they do not have any of the most basic documentation of their identity.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

My daughter was also given my husband's (father's ) name. I have never had a problem traveling with her.  If we were crossing country borders, her birth certificate gave proof of her parents.

The problem arises for women who didn't restore their name after a divorce and went to new owner's name to new owner's name in their serial monogamy.

Now, several marriages and aliases later, they are scrambling for the documentation linking their identity back to their birth name. 

Even sadder are those women of the generation where they ceased to exist as an entity upon marriage. They were born at a time when birth certificates may or may not exist.  They were known as Mrs Husband's First and last name, never worked outside the home, and never had a social security number in their own name (living off the man's benefits).

And now, in their eighties and nineties, they do not have any of the most basic documentation of their identity.

You need to get over yourself. I took my husband's name and he doesn't "own" me anymore than my father "owned" me when I was born and had his last name. Most women who want to have kids take their husband's name because they want to have the same name as their kids.

Yes, the situation you a describing of women born 80-100 years ago is sad. But now a days everyone born in the US gets a birth certificate and social security card. There's no excuse for people to not hang onto these items. 

I spent 10 years living with my now husband. It was far more complicated to deal with bills and finances when me and my partner had different last names than it was to change my name when I got married. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

The marriage certificate has the woman's MAIDEN name on it.  Even if it's the 10th certificate, it will still have their maiden name on it.  So, a person only needs the latest marriage certificate, their birth certificate, and a government ID.  They don't need every document they ever had.