Current passport issue turnaround time

matymil

I know there's been a ton of stories in the news lately about passports taking crazy long periods of time to get processed. I dont know if its because of our state but my wife sent away for her passport in July, maybe the second to last week, and just got it back today. We live in NJ so maybe its faster here but the process took 5 weeks tops.

40 minutes ago, matymil said:

I know there's been a ton of stories in the news lately about passports taking crazy long periods of time to get processed. I dont know if its because of our state but my wife sent away for her passport in July, maybe the second to last week, and just got it back today. We live in NJ so maybe its faster here but the process took 5 weeks tops.

Did you use the expedited service?

Sent mine off end of June and the check cleared two weeks later. When I check the status it says they are processing and reviewing my information.  The website states average time is 16 weeks including shipping.  I didn't pay for expedited service. So hopefully by November. We were planning on sailing November 15 on the Valor out of New Orleans but with the new CDC guidelines we are postponing to a later date. 

37 minutes ago, Loritd said:

Sent mine off end of June and the check cleared two weeks later. When I check the status it says they are processing and reviewing my information.  The website states average time is 16 weeks including shipping.  I didn't pay for expedited service. So hopefully by November. We were planning on sailing November 15 on the Valor out of New Orleans but with the new CDC guidelines we are postponing to a later date. 

I think you'll get yours back in time. I mailed mine in for renewal May 21st, and received it back 2 days ago. I did not have it expedited, and my check took a while month to clear.. So, about 3 months to the day, from AZ. to PA.

Happy cruising!

4 hours ago, matymil said:

Hi,

I noticed our sons Passport was expiring during his work Contract with Carnival.  He hustled and got it taken care of, paid the extra $$ and received it in 1 month. We live in a suburb of Los Angeles. 

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

4 minutes ago, highcorral25 said:

I mailed my passport for renewal on 7/8, and just received it today, 8/26.

7/8 Mailed out

8/2 Status: In Process

8/23 Status: Approved

8/26 Received new passport

7 weeks total

Wow! That's impressive!😁

They received my renewal on June 10th and the last e-mail I received said that it has been sent and  I should get it in the mail on August 30th.  That was with regular processing.  First e-mail from them said it might take 12-16 weeks.

The renewal application asks when you are planning to leave the country. For those posting their turnaround times, was the date you received it close to the date you stated you would be leaving the U.S.? If so, that suggests they are using that date to prioritize.

23 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

The renewal application asks when you are planning to leave the country. For those posting their turnaround times, was the date you received it close to the date you stated you would be leaving the U.S.? If so, that suggests they are using that date to prioritize.

When I submitted my renewal (7/8) I put travel date of 11/13 which according to the 12+ week guideline would have been tight.  Also I did not request expedited service.

14 hours ago, matymil said:

Did you expedite?  It's only going to Philly so even regular mail is 2 days, tops, from Florence, but if you paid for expediting it is even quicker.  We renewed ours just before Covid and I think it was 3 weeks (expedited), but same thing - being this close to Philly helps with the mailing time.  

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

No. I put 12-31-2021, so I don't think they use that date to prioritize imo.

Can any of you who recently received your passport returned to you, recall if the envelope indicted not being able to be forwarded?  I’m asking because my DS’s needs to be renewed but we are in 2 different states every 6 mo. With such varied turn around times I don’t want it returned to sender and making a big muckety mess of it all. Thanks in advance. 

On 8/28/2021 at 3:08 PM, silvercrikhix said:

Can any of you who recently received your passport returned to you, recall if the envelope indicted not being able to be forwarded?  I’m asking because my DS’s needs to be renewed but we are in 2 different states every 6 mo. With such varied turn around times I don’t want it returned to sender and making a big muckety mess of it all. Thanks in advance. 

(AFAIK) no one has to wait to renew their passport so maybe HE should do it as soon as he gets to his new location.

Quote clo==

I asked if the envelope had a no forwarding mark on the envelope! 

I can wait until fall when we change climates, but it still must have our summer address as it’s more of our home base. All legal documents use that address. I know there is no wait to send the app in. 

FYI:  My son is 29 years old and has a high functioning form of autism called Asperger Syndrome. I’m also his guardian and conservator, so I take care of his legal documents, etc…. What  I can’t figure out is why you felt the need to comment with the ‘HE’ should do it?  This is also the 2nd post in as many days that you’ve quoted me in such a snide/near venomous tone!  May you find Peace & Joy in your life…

Edited by silvercrikhix

On 8/28/2021 at 6:08 PM, silvercrikhix said:

silvercrikhix - Do you have instructions for USPS to forward your mail using the weekly Premium Forwarding Service?  If so, they should do forward the passport automatically.  We didn't have to use it with our passport renewals but we have done it the past few election years with our absentee ballots.  Your local mail facility should tell you if passports are handled any differently.

I don't know if this will help you avoid the potential mess but there are two address forms on the renewal application (https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds82.pdf).

At the top of the form is the mailing address.

At the bottom of the form is the permanent address (if it differs from the mailing address).

Good luck!

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, capriccio said:

silvercrikhix - Do you have instructions for USPS to forward your mail using the weekly Premium Forwarding Service?  If so, they should do forward the passport automatically.  We didn't have to use it with our passport renewals but we have done it the past few election years with our absentee ballots.  Your local mail facility should tell you if passports are handled any differently.

I don't know if this will help you avoid the potential mess but there are two address forms on the renewal application (https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds82.pdf).

At the top of the form is the mailing address.

At the bottom of the form is the permanent address (if it differs from the mailing address).

Good luck!

Thank you, capri, for your input. I’ll call our post office guy and ask him  if they are forwarded or have do not forward stamp on them. 

While I signed up for email updates, I have received NONE.  Mailed passport for renewal on June 11, check was cashed on July 13th.  Did not request Expedited service.  In looking it up, it is:  "In Process". 

I initially had a trip booked & noted for September 19th...have since cancelled that plan so it made no difference in receiving my renewal (which I unfortunately thought would take less time...)

I have another flight booked for December 5 (2021) w/ a cruise beginning December 7th...

Would be nice to get an update...

Edited by ljones
addition