Onboard Quest's first cruise

Huntingdon1701

37 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Although, I've just read the Govt guidance again and it seems as if '3 days before' is actually 4 days before:

"When to take your test

You can take the test any time in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you could take a test any time on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The test result must be available for boarding."

So recalculating, Azamara will test on Thursday and my flight is on Sunday. So that timeline works. Despite running counter to all other testing guidance. 

Would that work for you too?

Very possibly- our flight is 1530 sunday... although I was under the impression the test had to be taken with 72hrs of departure? Really appreciate your help here, new to Azamara so no idea where to ask, their social media team just refers to FAQs.

28 minutes ago, QM2 fan said:

Very possibly- our flight is 1530 sunday... although I was under the impression the test had to be taken with 72hrs of departure? Really appreciate your help here, new to Azamara so no idea where to ask, their social media team just refers to FAQs.

I thought it was 72 hours too, but that quote is direct from the Government guidance so is the only authoritative source.

Sounds like you're doing the same pattern of flights as me. If I get impounded at Heathrow, I'll let you know, but I now plan on trying to use tomorrow's test to get back. 

I didn't get very far with their help team either. The pre-cruise preparation was guessing in the dark. Practical experience is probably our best bet. 

3 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Crete today - the reason I picked this cruise. Knossos palace has been on my wishlist for a long time. The tour includes the palace, the archaeological museum, a brief town tour and free time. Very hot and quite a lot of walking. 

IMG_20210901_141719.jpg

IMG_20210901_135954.jpg

IMG_20210901_135839.jpg

IMG_20210901_121617.jpg

IMG_20210901_121825.jpg

IMG_20210901_120152.jpg

Fabulous pictures that remind me how interesting that site is.

Was Knossos accessed through the port of Heraklion or one further away?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I thought it was 72 hours too, but that quote is direct from the Government guidance so is the only authoritative source.

Sounds like you're doing the same pattern of flights as me. If I get impounded at Heathrow, I'll let you know, but I now plan on trying to use tomorrow's test to get back. 

I didn't get very far with their help team either. The pre-cruise preparation was guessing in the dark. Practical experience is probably our best bet. 

Maybe Gov.uk have changed the wording- I'm sure it said 72hrs when we went to Mallorca last month- yes, please do let me know how you get on.. flying on BA to LHR?

13 minutes ago, nordski said:

Fabulous pictures that remind me how interesting that site is.

Was Knossos accessed through the port of Heraklion or one further away?

Through Heraklion. It's a new port for Azamara. Most companies use Chania, which you can do Knossos from but it's a lot longer. It's only 15 minutes drive from Heraklion. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the pictures and posts about Knossos Palace! We dock in Agios Nikolaus, Crete on Journey in October. It’s a 2 hour bus ride each way to Knossos. I would love to see it, but wondering if you or others think it’s worth 4 hours on a bus. Thank you!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Teach2255 said:

Thanks for the pictures and posts about Knossos Palace! We dock in Agios Nikolaus, Crete on Journey in October. It’s a 2 hour bus ride each way to Knossos. I would love to see it, but wondering if you or others think it’s worth 4 hours on a bus. Thank you!

Not the OP, but my question would be how keen are you to research and then “experience” Minoan culture? How interested are you in looking for links to Greek mythology?

We were fortunate that we visited it without experiencing that long ride, but, personally, I would still do it.

If you are reluctant to commit that time, and your cruise also visits Santorini, I would recommend taking the tour of Akrotiri which is a fabulous excavation/recreation from approximately the same period without some of the “romance” attached to the Knossos Palace and a much shorter bus ride.

If the itinerary also eventually includes Nafplion then you may have a chance to visit Mycenae. 

Those three sites are an an amazing trifecta to me, others will probably disagree.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Teach2255 said:

That is a long trip, and the palace only takes an hour. You would need to include the museum as well for it to be worth it. 

If there is another excursion that appeals to you, it would be worth giving it serious consideration. If not, then go for the palace. It was good to see. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nordski said:

If you are reluctant to commit that time, and your cruise also visits Santorini, I would recommend taking the tour of Akrotiri which is a fabulous excavation/recreation from approximately the same period without some of the “romance” attached to the Knossos Palace and a much shorter bus ride.

If the itinerary also eventually includes Nafplion then you may have a chance to visit Mycenae. 

Those three sites are an an amazing trifecta to me, others will probably disagree.

Would absolutely agree on Akrotiri. It is really impressive and the frescoes are more complete than at Knossos, with some in situ. Our Knossos guide actually used several photos from Akrotiri to illustrate things you couldn't see at Knossos, including the advanced toilet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Can you provide any information about the Explorers’ Dinner? Are there wine pairings?

I don't think I asked the right person as they were reluctant to share the menu. I did get confirmation that they pair the wines with it and explain why. Also, this leaflet. There was more info on the interactive TV too, but it disappears once the event has happened. 

IMG_20210901_202939.jpg

Good morning from Santorini. 

Today is testing day, set up in the Living Room. I went up five minutes early and was out three minutes later, so not time consuming. It's the basic swab up the nostril unless you request a PCR test. 

You NEED to keep the QR code they give you when you register for the pre-boarding terminal testing. It's the same code that carries over. 

A lot of people hadn't kept it and couldn't access the internet to get it quickly. That slowed them down, and not sure how they got round it if they couldn't get a code (although there must be a solution). 

IMG_20210902_072142.jpg

IMG_20210902_072146.jpg

• Like 2

It's my fourth time to Santorini. If it's your first, I recommend Akrotiri and Oia, in that order. 

This time I decided on a sail around the calderra on one of their traditional boats - which now has awning, toilet, snacks and bar (some are included as part of the excursion).

It was really relaxing, but also great to get a sense of the geology of the place and how the volcano created it over time. 

Pretty calm for most of the way, bar one bit as you cross the open sea. I had a seasickness pill before as I'm a bad traveller on small boats, and had no issues.

The local snacks, wine and ouzo were delicious. A very pleasant excursion after the exertions in previous ports. Also, because you're a small group outside and with a breeze, they were relaxed about mask wearing. We're all double vaccinated and had been tested 20 minutes before so virtually zero risk. 

IMG_20210902_080815.jpg

IMG_20210902_085045.jpg

IMG_20210902_091226.jpg

IMG_20210902_093019.jpg

IMG_20210902_094721.jpg

IMG_20210902_095155.jpg

IMG_20210902_101135.jpg

IMG_20210902_101411.jpg

IMG_20210902_102231.jpg

IMG_20210902_102905.jpg

IMG_20210902_103200.jpg

IMG_20210902_104010.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, LauraBee2 said:

Thank you for your most informative posts. You've really helped us think through some things, especially around tours. So, just to be clear, no White Night? Replaced by Quest Fest? Thanks again!

You're welcome. Good to hear they're being useful. 

It's still branded as White Night overall but spread through different venues. Quest Fest seems to be how they're linking them together.

Given the very small number of passengers on board, I don't see it as being very atmospheric this cruise. The past two nights there have only been four of us listening to the band in the Living Room.

As they increase capacity in future cruises, it should work better. 

• Thanks 1

Let's hope we can all get back to traditional White Nights.  Spread throughout the ships and with little more than 200 guests Quest Fest is just not the same, but at least they are making an effort rather than just cancelling the evening all together.  Let us know what you think.  The traditional White Nights on the Pool Deck were always fun .  I'm sure this being the first sailing they will see how it goes.  

Phil

• Like 4

I looked at what was being offered and thought it a great compromise.  The buffet was always going to be a no no and a lot of people like to dine elsewhere then enjoy the deck dancing.  They have created a great menu which will not have the level of wastage buffets have and of course is safe to serve.  Hopefully there can be an atmosphere on deck if most people head there whilst the ship has such low numbers onboard.

• Like 3

Again, Huntingdon1701, I must thank you for the photos and posts.  Your Santorini sailing excursion looks like something we'd very much enjoy, having visited the island several times in the past.  Well done!

But, the "Recommended Attire:  Sparkles & Glitter" for the deck party would leave me pondering my packing choices - 

• Like 3