Passport Renewal

forgap

Our passports didn't expire until June '22 either but with the nightmare stories, we figured why wait. Our next cruise is Feb '22 to Caribbean then Mia to Montreal in May '22.  We just went ahead and did it feeling better to be safe than face anxiety. It's good for another 10 years.

You might consider expediting the renewal. Or as DaveFr suggested, make the call to find out how Regent will handle it.

Your TA might have the name of someone who expedites the passport renewal. 

And yes, Regent will probably have control of your passport and that is to make it efficient to show the passports to immigration for the ports that are being visited.  Some ports want to see them and some ports will accept a list from Regent.

19 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Our passports didn't expire until June '22 either but with the nightmare stories, we figured why wait. Our next cruise is Feb '22 to Caribbean then Mia to Montreal in May '22.  We just went ahead and did it feeling better to be safe than face anxiety. It's good for another 10 years.

You might consider expediting the renewal. Or as DaveFr suggested, make the call to find out how Regent will handle it.

Thanks to Chucktown and DaveFR for your collective thoughts.  I appreciate it!  I coincidentally got a message from Regent over the weekend (by way of my TA) that "the omnipotent Regent database" (specifically, DW's customer information profile) wasn't "accepting the fact" that Mary's passport (although still valid throughout the entire cruise, which begins and ends in the U.S.) did not have at least 6 full months left on it (only 5 months) before completing our upcoming Mariner cruise.  Apparently, software programs don't like to be argued or reasoned with!

So with much trepidation, I stuffed her "good" passport (Gulp!), a renewal application, a new/updated picture, and a huge/obscene amount of money (for "Expedited Handling and return service") into an "Express mail envelope" (which now has become "far less Express" than it used to be), drove to our local Post Office on Sunday, and dropped it into the outgoing mail chute, and "waved goodbye to it"!

It's now in the "most capable hands of our ever-efficient government system" to crank out a new passport for Mary and get it back into her anxiously waiting hands within the next 10 weeks, before we're "supposed to" arrive in Miami and hopefully walk onboard "Mariner"....And that assumes of course, that we don't "blow positive" at pier-side from a last minute/unexpected Covid "break-through" test!

I wish this whole "cruising thing" hadn't become so "stressful" lately.  Cruising is supposed to be "fun and relaxing"....Right?  😬  I'll update this thread when/if the new passport actually arrives!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

We're not having to fly into any foreign country and won't be "showing them" to any immigration officials in the 5 foreign countries we will be stopping in (Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Nicaragua) ........  The ship "holds" our passports on the ship the whole time during the cruise (we never take them into town with us).

Our understanding is that Reception holds everyone's passports so that they are available for inspection, if required, by immigration officials who will board the vessel in each country in order to 'clear' the vessel for its visit 

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

I'll update this thread when/if the new passport actually arrives!

Fingers crossed for you 🤞.

Hope to meet you on board Mariner ......................... you need a passport; we need permission to enter the U.S.A. 🤯. Promised for early November but no details yet ☹️

Also the UK Government is still warning against 'all but essential travel' to Costa Rica, Nicaragua & Guatemala

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

I wish this whole "cruising thing" hadn't become so "stressful" lately.  Cruising is supposed to be "fun and relaxing"....Right?

+1

But it will be worth it when we are relaxing on board 😎 🍹

Edited by flossie009

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Hope to meet you on board Mariner ......................... you need a passport; we need permission to enter the U.S.A. 🤯. Promised for early November but no details yet ☹️

Also the UK Government is still warning against 'all but essential travel' to Costa Rica, Nicaragua & Guatemala.

Flossie - We can all just "stay onboard" when docked in those 3 countries, sit on the pool deck with "adult beverages" in hand, and propose a respectful "toast" to each of those 3 countries...than get on with the important business at hand of deciding what we'll order for dinner that evening!  😜 

• Like 2

Ok, here’s my question…

I have a current passport book and I want to get a passbook card to use as back up and additional ID.

Working on the application for the card, they say I have to send in my current book with the application.  I have upcoming travel that I need my book for and to be honest, I really don’t want to put my passport book in the mail.

Anyway I can get a card without sending in my book?  I’ve searched the gov website with no clear answer.

I know Guatemala requires at least 6 months on any passport from the date of entry. Many other countries have the same. The ship must have all passports meet that requirement, hence the ship wide rule for 6 months. Personal checks are avoided this way and passengers can travel more freely between ship and shore if it is known that all are in compliance. 

I hope your renewal comes back really quick!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cwms said:

Ok, here’s my question…

I have a current passport book and I want to get a passbook card to use as back up and additional ID.

Working on the application for the card, they say I have to send in my current book with the application.  I have upcoming travel that I need my book for and to be honest, I really don’t want to put my passport book in the mail.

Anyway I can get a card without sending in my book?  I’ve searched the gov website with no clear answer.

If you can apply "in person" at a local passport agency, you'll be using form DS-11 and will present a verification document (like your current passport, drivers license, military ID, etc.) on site and can get your Passport Card without having to mail off your passport.  Otherwise, if you're applying for a card remotely (not personally going to a passport agency), it appears that you'll have to submit (i.e., mail off) a form DS-82, which also requires that you mail in your current passport, along with the application, in order to get the card.  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

I'm on the Splendor now, having embarked in Southampton September 22.  Regent did NOT collect passports as they have in the past.  We've had them, and still have them.  Keep them locked in the safe except when required to carry them ashore.  The shore excursions in Italy require you to carry your suite key card and Covid vaccination card.  Had to show the Covid card before entering a cathedral in Orvieto and at restaurants.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cwbegg said:

I'm on the Splendor now, having embarked in Southampton September 22.  Regent did NOT collect passports as they have in the past.  We've had them, and still have them.  Keep them locked in the safe except when required to carry them ashore.  The shore excursions in Italy require you to carry your suite key card and Covid vaccination card.  Had to show the Covid card before entering a cathedral in Orvieto and at restaurants.

Thanks a lot for the info!  I really appreciate you taking the time while on your cruise to "reach out" to the rest of us.  As you can imagine, all of us cruise lovers are "thirsty" for any information or experiences you can pass along, while you're lucky enough to be onboard Splendor!  Best Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, cwbegg said:

Addendum: Regent collected passports after the last port in Italy. Still  required to carry the  Covid card ashore and the suite key card.

Firstly we are from the UK, but my wife passport required renewing very early 2023, and we got 115 nights booked on Regent next year (mostly held over from previous years because of Covid), so we because of this thread I checked up on the UK passport website and they said allow 8 to 12 weeks to renew, basically we didn’t have a gap to renew other than before the first of four cruises in late February. We filled in all the documentation on line last Sunday and just got notification that it’s being delivered tomorrow that’s a turn round of 8 days, can anyone beat that? 😀😀

7 hours ago, charltonkerry said:

Firstly we are from the UK, but my wife passport required renewing very early 2023, and we got 115 nights booked on Regent next year (mostly held over from previous years because of Covid), so we because of this thread I checked up on the UK passport website and they said allow 8 to 12 weeks to renew, basically we didn’t have a gap to renew other than before the first of four cruises in late February. We filled in all the documentation on line last Sunday and just got notification that it’s being delivered tomorrow that’s a turn round of 8 days, can anyone beat that? 😀😀

Wow - That's "lightening fast"!  That certainly wouldn't normally happen here (U.S.) that fast unless somebody's Senator got involved!  Although admittedly, we do have many more millions of people (travelers) in the US than UK probably does, too!

An update on DW's passport renewal application is that I put it into "Express Mail" to the Passport Processing Center located in Philadelphia, PA on Sunday, 10 Oct.  It took 3 days  to arrive in Philly on the morning of Thursday, Oct 14.  On Monday, Oct 18, I had online acknowledgement from the passport service that they had received the renewal application and money, and that the new passport is now "being processed".  My bank account showed that my check payment had "cleared" my account.  So they've now had the application for about 1-1/2 weeks.  Their website says that "expedited handling" should take "no more than 10 weeks"... max, until we actually receive the new passport in hand.  Our flight to Miami, to board Mariner (on the 18th), will be on Friday, Dec 17.  On that travel day, it will be the end of "the 10th week".

The Passport Center's online message gave me a special "customer service" phone number to contact them, along with a unique "case number" to reference, if we haven't received the new passport back by 2 weeks prior to our actual travel date.  They would presumably than "track it down" and provide "really expedited service" to their processing service...."Fingers Crossed"!

I am somewhat heartened/hopeful by some of the above posted responses of others, who actually received their new passports back in half the 10-week time.  Again, "fingers crossed".  The  Passport Office website also said they would notify me (Email) when the DW's new passport leaves their office and is heading back to me (by expedited delivery service).  I'll keep you all posted.  Regards. 

A note on the

• 4 weeks later...

A "nerve-wracking" update on our situation (as promised).  It's now "just" 4 weeks and 2 days left before we're "supposed" to be flying to Miami and boarding the Mariner Panama Canal cruise.  We paid for "expedited service" for the new passport.

DW's passport renewal application was received at the U.S. Passport Processing Center on October 14 - Five weeks ago.  We know from they're website that  "they have it" and are supposedly "working on it" (our check payment to them was immediately deposited/cashed).  You can't actually "talk" to anyone when you call the listed phone number on the website...you just get a canned recording and you can't even get an actual "status" of when they're going to actually send the new passport to us. Welcome to the 21st century!

We have left messages with our Senator's and Congresswoman's office this morning - again, you can't/don't actually "talk" to any live human being in any office anymore - just another damn recorde message!  Until we're holding an actual passport in our hand (with new number/expiration date), we can't update the "passenger information" section on our Regent booking page.  And until/unless we update that "passenger information" section, we won't be able to complete the "pre-boarding" check-in page on Regent's website and of course, won't receive an Emailed "Boarding Document".

So at this particular moment (maybe/hopefully it will change) I can't say that we're even the least bit excited about this cruise at the moment!  With all the pre-testing procedures, security checks, masks, social distancing, all the other new procedures, etc., etc., I'm now wishing we had just cancelled this cruise months ago, just like others on this board have!  And I'm also not in anyway looking forward to our next two booked Regent cruises, either!

Hopefully, we'll get that new passport in the next couple of days and our mood might "change"....at least a little bit.  But right now,  we feel that our mood, along with a whole bunch of money, is going "right down the drain".  Regards.

30 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Several years ago we had a similar situation. We needed our passports for two trips two months apart. We realized that we might not have the ability to renew them between trips. So, we had to cancel the second trip. 
I hope you will have them in time for your trip. 🤞🤞🤞

sheila

Thanks, Sheila

A little bit of "encouraging hope" received in the past 3 hours.....I reached out to our Congresswoman's Office and asked for a "bit of help" on the matter.  We explained our "problem" on the phone (needing to get DW's passport back in hand before our cruise) to one of the "staffers" in her Office and that assistant was most gracious and most happy to collect all the information surrounding our application for the new passport.

The staffer directed us to the Congresswoman's homepage online, and we found the place on that site where we could provide all the written details surrounding our "problem" and gave "written permission" to the Congresswoman's Office to act on our behalf in "reaching out' to the State Department to make a "formal inquiry" on the matter, and then get back to us with some solid information regarding "when" we could expect to receive Mary's new passport.

Within an hour of our online request, we received an Email back from the Congresswoman's Office, stating that they had provided all the information (along with our "Passport Case Number") to the State Department, and as soon as they "knew something", the staff would immediately get back to us with it.  So for now at least, I've become slightly more optimistic.  I'm also keeping our TA and Regent's Customer Service Dept. informed, as well.  Regards.

• Like 2

This reminds me of our panic attack in 2019 when I stumbled upon the fact that we needed a Chinese visa for our post cruise in Xian.  This was about 6 weeks before departure and required sending our US passport to the Chinese embassy.  The application had to be precisely correct, as well.  Regent had stumbled by not informing us we needed the visa and we assumed the tour had a group visa.  We had to go through a third party agency too.  Long story short, we got our visa, our passports, and a mesmerizing tour of the Terra cotta warriors with two weeks to spare before our flight to Asia.   Our tour was small as some passengers did not make the short window once we were informed!  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

A "nerve-wracking" update on our situation (as promised).  It's now "just" 4 weeks and 2 days left before we're "supposed" to be flying to Miami and boarding the Mariner Panama Canal cruise.  We paid for "expedited service" for the new passport.

DW's passport renewal application was received at the U.S. Passport Processing Center on October 14 - Five weeks ago.  We know from they're website that  "they have it" and are supposedly "working on it" (our check payment to them was immediately deposited/cashed).  You can't actually "talk" to anyone when you call the listed phone number on the website...you just get a canned recording and you can't even get an actual "status" of when they're going to actually send the new passport to us. Welcome to the 21st century!

We have left messages with our Senator's and Congresswoman's office this morning - again, you can't/don't actually "talk" to any live human being in any office anymore - just another damn recorde message!  Until we're holding an actual passport in our hand (with new number/expiration date), we can't update the "passenger information" section on our Regent booking page.  And until/unless we update that "passenger information" section, we won't be able to complete the "pre-boarding" check-in page on Regent's website and of course, won't receive an Emailed "Boarding Document".

So at this particular moment (maybe/hopefully it will change) I can't say that we're even the least bit excited about this cruise at the moment!  With all the pre-testing procedures, security checks, masks, social distancing, all the other new procedures, etc., etc., I'm now wishing we had just cancelled this cruise months ago, just like others on this board have!  And I'm also not in anyway looking forward to our next two booked Regent cruises, either!

Hopefully, we'll get that new passport in the next couple of days and our mood might "change"....at least a little bit.  But right now,  we feel that our mood, along with a whole bunch of money, is going "right down the drain".  Regards.

Ten weeks and counting for "expedited" passport service? No one answering phones?  But you can bet they are getting full salary plus their scheduled big annual inflation-related COLA ( the biggest since the 1970's), and full civil service benefits.  Perhaps workers were fired for not being immunized?  I'm pretty sure they are not all  dead of Covid, and almost all are still "working" at home.

We had to wait almost two years to get a mid-five figure income tax refund back -- and it came without  any interest, of course, after hours of phone torture and confusion,  in a year the market index was earning 40%.  We are getting banana republic service from almost every government agency lately ( and it's not much better with the big phone and internet services, not to mention pseudo-private health care).  Mortuaries do answer the phone in person, however.

I will shortly be in the same dilemma you are, with a passport expiring five months after a SB cruise is supposed to start.  

• Thanks 1