HERE IT IS. TESTING 2 days before

RoePost

3 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Be careful. SDM is doing rapid antigen screening, which the faq's on their website state that screening is not testing. I know people who have flown to the US with the SDM test but none were boarding a cruise so I don't know if it would be accepted (I suspect not since even SDM says it's not the same as an antigen test).

All antigen tests are “screenings” just due to the nature of the type of test it is. 

9 hours ago, karylrocks said:

Very specific question for those familiar with options in SF, where can we get free rapid tests near the pier? We are flying in 3 days prior and will need to be tested on Sunday or Monday, staying in Fisherman's Wharf area with no car. We have never been tested so the whole process is new to us.

Since youre flying into SF.,

I posted on another covid test thread, you could get tested at SFO.  Results in 2 hours.

I haven't googled their info, but think its similar to what were having done at Oakland airport.

I have a flight out of Oakland next Sat., and plan to scope out whats involved then....

Appears their Not real busy as theres virtually any time of day Open for testing appts.

But their hours are limited to like 6am to 3pm, etc.

Will have more firsthand details after next weekend.

In the meantime, check out San Francisco Int'l airport for covid testing for travel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lizabu said:

All antigen tests are “screenings” just due to the nature of the type of test it is. 

I did not know that! SDM just threw me because they are the only place I've seen that specifies in their faq's that screening is not testing. I looked at a few other pharmacies in town that are doing antigen testing and their websites didn't say anything about screening. I even phoned the one I ended up booking at to inquire and the lady said no, we're doing testing. Just makes me wonder why SDM would mention it on their website.

11 hours ago, dog said:

So you are flying from Montreal to Florida for the cruise 

Shoppers provide different tests. Make sure to clarify which one is required- they do call the $40 rapid antigen screening test 

hopefully Someone on here can say which one they used successfully 

for return you need a negative test whether you fly or drive. 

wonder if you test positive at the pier if they detain you or just let you leave? 

These bring up a couple of interesting questions. If someone tests + in the US they can't fly into Canada, no airline will accept them. If you drive up to the Canadian border, I would find it hard to accept that the border guards would refuse you entry to your own country. Of course you would absolutely have to to quarantine once you arrived home.

As to testing + at disembarkation, the Princess FAQs seem pretty clear that they will pay for your quarantine and basic expenses, probably at the Motel 6/Denny's level. You'd be stuck in your little room for a few weeks with little flexibility of movement. As to exactly HOW they detain you, that's an interesting point.  If I was a snowbird and had my car at the pier and was planning on driving back and quarantining at home for example, would they stop me and prevent me from leaving?

41 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

These bring up a couple of interesting questions. If someone tests + in the US they can't fly into Canada, no airline will accept them. If you drive up to the Canadian border, I would find it hard to accept that the border guards would refuse you entry to your own country. Of course you would absolutely have to to quarantine once you arrived home.

As to testing + at disembarkation, the Princess FAQs seem pretty clear that they will pay for your quarantine and basic expenses, probably at the Motel 6/Denny's level. You'd be stuck in your little room for a few weeks with little flexibility of movement. As to exactly HOW they detain you, that's an interesting point.  If I was a snowbird and had my car at the pier and was planning on driving back and quarantining at home for example, would they stop me and prevent me from leaving?

If you are concerned about being allowed back into the US, just enter from the south.  They'll even fly you from there to the city of your choice for free. (sarcasm alert)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I wonder if Steelers knows?

22 minutes ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

Can anyone tell me how far in advance you can book a test at Walgreens? I know CVS is 2 weeks but couldn't find anything on our Walgreens site? Thank you.

Most Walgreens are 3 days in advance. 

My  BinaxNow Antigen Card 19 tests  arrived today from Emed.

They arrived Fed Ex and it took just a few days (over a holiday) 6 individual boxes and

all are monitored.

I downloaded the App this morning and filled in my info, each box has it's own QR code.

Seems very straight forward for anyone still on the fence or looking to not spend $200 a test.

The six pack cost $165 with shipping.

These are also good for international travel back into the US, obviously not out that is governed by the country you are flying into. They are very compact and will fit easily into your carry on luggage so you can travel with your own test and not need to scramble to find one.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

My  BinaxNow Antigen Card 19 tests  arrived today from Emed.

They arrived Fed Ex and it took just a few days (over a holiday) 6 individual boxes and

all are monitored.

I downloaded the App this morning and filled in my info, each box has it's own QR code.

Seems very straight forward for anyone still on the fence or looking to not spend $200 a test.

The six pack cost $165 with shipping.

These are also good for international travel back into the US, obviously not out that is governed by the country you are flying into. They are very compact and will fit easily into your carry on luggage so you can travel with your own test and not need to scramble to find one.

Happy Cruising!

Could you tell me what the expiration date is on your tests? I'm leaning towards ordering them to have on hand and also for a trip we have to Europe in February. Thanks! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TinaLee said:

Could you tell me what the expiration date is on your tests? I'm leaning towards ordering them to have on hand and also for a trip we have to Europe in February. Thanks! 

The tests I received Expire 1/5/22, including the extension period.

(We have  trips booked for that period so they won't go to waste but it's not that long of a span otherwise) 

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rules change hourly, but we did a b2b on Celebrity Equinox in August. They tested us onboard on the last sea day. If we would have been positive, we would have been able to pack up our own stuff. If negative, we could leave our stuff in the stateroom, however, we did have to disembark. All b2b people disembarked as a group, went through facial recognition, then embarked as a group. Took maybe an hour in total - Really pretty painless. I would hope Princess would do something similar.

• Like 2

I spoke with a Princess rep today about the B2B situation via chat.  His points (my words, not precise quotes) were:

1.  Yes, B2B folks will have to disembark to be tested.

2.  Whether B2B folks will have to pack up is a ship level decision and we will be advised when we are on the ship.

3.  This is as of today.  We should closely monitor the Princess web site for any changes.

• Like 2

I've been doing a LOT of research regarding COVID testing.  Here are a few things to think about.

Cruising:  

Rapid PCR/NAAT tests

Rapid Antigen tests

Results back in minutes to hours.  Best solution to meet 2 day requirement.  Other tests need at least 24 hours in the lab (once received...dependent on pick up/delivery/overnight shipping...etc)

Airlines:

Most large airports have rapid tests

Most airlines/countries prefer PCR/NAAT.  Some will accept antigen testing.

Best to check with your airlines/countries

Be aware that NOT all Walgreens/CVS/Rite Aid provide testing.  

Pharmacies conduct most testing via drive through

Very few offer a rapid testing.

Both Antigen/PCR/NAAT testing is nasal swabbing

The difference between Antigen and PCR/NAAT testing is the machine they use to get results

Of all the testing, PCR is the most reliable

It seems as though Princess is constantly changing their policies.  This is not helpful toward planning.  Not all representatives seem to have the same information.  Princess needs to fix their internal communications to match their printed.

Good luck all.  Though times to cruise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

AFAIK, a Canadian citizen cannot be denied re-entry to Canada, whether healthy or ill.

That would be my understanding as well. In any case, in the very unlikely event of testing positive coming off a cruise out of Florida, there are a number of options available to get across the border and get home, enough to put our mind at ease. Worst case I know we can rent a car at FLL and drive all the way back to our home airport, but VERY $$$. Much cheaper would be to do a series of single day, much shorter rentals each day to minimize the drop-off charges. Easiest would be to fly from FLL to either of two airports in upstate New York, rent there and drive the rental car across the border, much less costly and much easier, home the same day getting off the ship.  That assumes that US airlines would accept COVID positive passengers for internal flights, which I would think would be problematic, so the loooong multi-day drive would be the most likely option

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

That would be my understanding as well. In any case, in the very unlikely event of testing positive coming off a cruise out of Florida, there are a number of options available to get across the border and get home, enough to put our mind at ease. Worst case I know we can rent a car at FLL and drive all the way back to our home airport, but VERY $$$. Much cheaper would be to do a series of single day, much shorter rentals each day to minimize the drop-off charges. Easiest would be to fly from FLL to either of two airports in upstate New York, rent there and drive the rental car across the border, much less costly and much easier, home the same day getting off the ship.  That assumes that US airlines would accept COVID positive passengers for internal flights, which I would think would be problematic, so the loooong multi-day drive would be the most likely option

Would the cruise line be reporting you as positive and detain you?  I don’t know how that is handled 

1 hour ago, dog said:

Would the cruise line be reporting you as positive and detain you?  I don’t know how that is handled 

Good point. I have to admit I don't know the answer to a basic question: does the US gvt require all returning cruise passengers to be tested, or does the  mandatory testing requirement only apply at embarkation?  Is the disembarkation testing Princess are now offering off the ship at the pier (instead of on the ship the day before arrival) voluntarily only for those of us who need it for onward international air travel? If so, I can't imagine they can justify detaining some COVID positive pax but releasing others who might be positive but didn't bother getting tested.

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Good point. I have to admit I don't know the answer to a basic question: does the US gvt require all returning cruise passengers to be tested, or does the  mandatory testing requirement only apply at embarkation?  Is the disembarkation testing Princess are now offering off the ship at the pier (instead of on the ship the day before arrival) voluntarily only for those of us who need it for onward international air travel? If so, I can't imagine they can justify detaining some COVID positive pax but releasing others who might be positive but didn't bother getting tested.

If you become ill and get tested ie: third day of cruise how will Princess handle it? 

if I had to think of these things I would not cruise until virus, testing lets up 

• Like 1

Seems only those flying to other countries has to test upon disembarkation.

Hopefully you all test Negative.

Theres no way I could get on a flight home if I tested positive.

How does someone do that with a clear conscience?  Put a flight full of people at risk?🙁

As for us, were only cruising from piers close to home for our next several cruises.😷

Not taking chances.  We could drive home, or rent a car & drive if need be.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dog said:

If you become ill and get tested ie: third day of cruise how will Princess handle it? 

if I had to think of these things I would not cruise until virus, testing lets up 

That's the reason I'm only doing 3 or 4-day cruise.  I drive home when I get off if I am tested +ve because of contact tracing due to exposure.  Now with the 2-day testing pre-board, I am thinking I'm done after my 1st cruise...cancel the rest.