CocoCay - Wave Jet Tour - for beginners?

Pretty impossible to tip it over unless you're really trying to -- they're like a snowmobile, short and wide.

If you somehow manage to fall off, you're wearing a life jacket, so you float around.  You also have a lanyard that connects you to the machine... when the lanyard gets yanked out (when you fall off), the machine turns off, so it can't drive away without you.

They also have an employee at the front of the line and the back of the line, so you can't get left behind.

You can go at your own pace, just putt-putt-putt along, if you want.

• Like 3

This tour is really fun.  If you want to go fast, they let you go near the front.  It is follow the leader, and when others get too far behind, the ones in front have to stop and wait.  Communication is good, and with staff in the front and back, I felt safe.  And I agree, it would be difficult to tip one over or fall off.  

You are better off renting a jet ski from one of the vender on any public beach.

That way you can ride at your own leisure and don't have to play follow the leader with a group.

And you will most likely be less expensive..

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

I do NOT recommend a beginner rent on their own... you need someone to show you what to do and ensure you're doing okay before going off on your own.

Oh please. My boys were 15&16 on our last cruise and rented a jet ski in st Martin. It was their first time and they did just fine. It’s really not that hard

Edited by allie3490

52 minutes ago, allie3490 said:

Oh please. My boys were 15&16 on our last cruise and rented a jet ski in st Martin. It was their first time and they did just fine. It’s really not that hard

No, it's not that hard, but the OP sounds quite timid about the whole thing, whereas I'm going to hazard a guess that your teenage boys didn't have even the slightest niggling of a qualm over jumping on a machine and taking off.  (I know mine wouldn't have at an even younger age.)

Some people don't have the same confidence as others, and someone who feels insecure in the whole idea would be better off in a more controlled situation where they have attentive instructors nearby.  

• Like 3

I agree that this it is fine for beginners.  They give you a safety briefing and go over the operation of the machine.

While it is follow the leader, the leader runs pretty much flat out.  And they try to put people in a slot based on their experience and how fast they say they will go.  The beginners are put at the back.  I have done it several times, and run at full throttle the entire ride most every time.

Everyone is allowed to run at their own pace.  As said, there is a leader and a person at the back to assist and keep track of the slower riders.   The group stops every so often to allow the group to get back together.  And do things like check out star fish and such.  They will also re-order the group if someone near the front is running slower or someone at the back is running faster.  If you are being held up by the rider in front of you, tell the leader at the first stop and they will move you up the line.

If you fall off, the motor stops (kill lanyard), and you swim over (lifejackets are worn) and climb back on.  And the trail rider will stop and help if needed.  I don't think I have every seen someone fall off.  They are pretty stable.

If you rest from an private operator on the beach, watch the scams.  Search Thailand Wave Runner or Jet Ski Scams.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:46 AM, brillohead said:

I do NOT recommend a beginner rent on their own... you need someone to show you what to do and ensure you're doing okay before going off on your own.

Except they do train you, give you a safety lesson, and show you what to do.  How does a beginner start, without first starting?  You are not on your own, but a group of people, with at least 2 guides with you at all times.  Just let them know your skill level, and you will be placed in the back of the line.....until figure it out.  

Yes you can fall off, but the jet ski won't tip over, but it does lean, and you can catch some waves.  However, not very likely, and you do have a kill switch and life jacket.

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Except they do train you, give you a safety lesson, and show you what to do.  How does a beginner start, without first starting?  You are not on your own, but a group of people, with at least 2 guides with you at all times.  Just let them know your skill level, and you will be placed in the back of the line.....until figure it out.  

He was replying to someone who suggested just renting one from a operator at some beach.

NOT the Royal excursion.

A beach operator may not give you any instruction and there will be no guides.  And if you damage the vessel, you will have to pay for it.

13 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

Yes you can fall off, but the jet ski won't tip over, but it does lean, and you can catch some waves.  However, not very likely, and you do have a kill switch and life jacket.

Did you even read this thread?  🙄

My comment was referring to a timid beginner being told to go rent a machine from some random beach dude at another port rather than take the supervised Royal excursion at Coco Cay. 

If you had bothered to read my first post, I also mentioned everything you said, including the two guides, the kill switch, and the life jacket.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SRF said:

He was replying to someone who suggested just renting one from a operator at some beach.

NOT the Royal excursion.

A beach operator may not give you any instruction and there will be no guides.  And if you damage the vessel, you will have to pay for it.

Please note......I am replying to you specific......see how it shows up?  The poster is talking about a RCCL excursion at Coco Cay, and I responded to that.....but you seem not to know how these boards work.  By the way, you can't rent a jet ski at Coco Cay from someone else outside of RCCL.  

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

Did you even read this thread?  🙄

My comment was referring to a timid beginner being told to go rent a machine from some random beach dude at another port rather than take the supervised Royal excursion at Coco Cay. 

If you had bothered to read my first post, I also mentioned everything you said, including the two guides, the kill switch, and the life jacket.  

How would I know that?  You see I'm replying to your answer by quoting you.  Your response, not be quoted, is replying to the original post, and some after it.  No need to question my reading ability.  But this is a Coco Cay question, not anything else.

On 9/4/2021 at 5:30 PM, letscutitout said:

Hi~

Is this activity truly for beginners, as mentioned in the description?

Is it possible to tip it over? (Serious question) What happens if you were to fall off?

I'd love to try to it but that concerns me, as a beginner.

Thank you for your help.

Hello! I've read all of the answers here, which includes very good info! However, I will explain my personal experience as a first-timer to riding a jet ski. First off, I am in my late 60's and weigh 250#. My bucket list included riding a jet ski! Our ship docked at Labadee (not CocoCay) and hubby and I booked the ship's excursion. I, too, had some anxiety about it, mainly because, if I fell off, I was sure that I would be unable to get back on!

The instructors were great!! We watched the safety video and listened to our instructors carefully. They asked about our previous experience and placed ones who had ridden a jet ski before at the front of the pack. With no experience, we were placed somewhere in the middle.

Riding around the port area where the water was smooth was great and I was having a blast! Once we rode farther away from port, the water became pretty choppy and the jet ski was a little harder to handle. However, like our guides said, it is a fact that the ski is easier to control at a faster speed vs a slower speed. So, I drove as fast as I felt that I could without falling off! At one stop, I only demoted back one spot, so I was still in the middle of the line. After we finished our ride, the rider behind me exclaimed how well I did! She said, "Man, your butt was flying way up off of your seat but you hung in there a done a great job!" I believe she was surprised that I did that well, given my age/weight!

In summary, the instructors are great and I do not regret doing it! Would I do it again? Maybe on a smooth lake somewhere but never, ever again in the open ocean!! Been there, done that!! Go ahead and challenge yourself or you may always wonder, "what if?"

Have a great cruise!! Cheers!!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

How would I know that?  You see I'm replying to your answer by quoting you.  Your response, not be quoted, is replying to the original post, and some after it.  No need to question my reading ability.  But this is a Coco Cay question, not anything else.

And you still don't understand why we think you can't read.  Priceless!  🤣

• Like 1

If you are not "boat people" and have not had much experience on small craft I agree doing the excursion with RCCL is a great way to get the buck list item checked off and learn if you enjoy the sport. To the person who said "they aren't hard to ride" you are correct, they aren't hard to "ride" but knowing the ins and outs of boater safety might be something someone doesn't know about. My husband and I have owned boats since we were in our early 20's (almost 40 years now) and started boating on Lake Michigan- so you can bet we took a boaters safety course. This past year we have seen an explosion in boat sales. In Wisconsin you don't need to take a course if born before 1989. It shows. Some of the worst offenders are those on personal water craft. They are often "pulled over" as well by local law enforcement.

Please do not give anyone a hard time for wanting to go with a ship sponsored excursion to learn the basics. Who care's if it "follow the leader"- I bet you do "follow the leader" types of horseback riding excursions and not just say go rent a horse from the guy down the road and go do what you want.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As a beginner who had never been on one before I did the tour in Labadee and will never do it again!  They basically went as fast as humanly possible, told me since I was small and it was a bit rough I was going to get thrown around, and then nearly lost me because we had a bunch of experience people in our group going super fast and I didn't want to go as fast because I was getting really thrown around.  I actually agree with others in this thread that I would have felt more comfortable renting on my own, getting the basics, and then just doing my own thing. 

16 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

If you are not "boat people" and have not had much experience on small craft I agree doing the excursion with RCCL is a great way to get the buck list item checked off and learn if you enjoy the sport. To the person who said "they aren't hard to ride" you are correct, they aren't hard to "ride" but knowing the ins and outs of boater safety might be something someone doesn't know about. My husband and I have owned boats since we were in our early 20's (almost 40 years now) and started boating on Lake Michigan- so you can bet we took a boaters safety course. This past year we have seen an explosion in boat sales. In Wisconsin you don't need to take a course if born before 1989. It shows. Some of the worst offenders are those on personal water craft. They are often "pulled over" as well by local law enforcement.

Please do not give anyone a hard time for wanting to go with a ship sponsored excursion to learn the basics. Who care's if it "follow the leader"- I bet you do "follow the leader" types of horseback riding excursions and not just say go rent a horse from the guy down the road and go do what you want.

I totally agree with the need for boater safety knowledge, as well as horse safety knowledge! I am in my late 60's and have owned and ridden many horses for half of my years, and now live on a nice lake and have owned and driven many boats. It's a shame that many do not know or care to learn a darn thing about safety! Anyway, your comparison prompted to add one thought - at least, if you fall off of a jet ski, you'd land in water (unless you beach it), and not on hard ground or off of a cliff somewhere! Ouch! Haha!

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2021 at 12:53 PM, allie3490 said:

Teens have no fear!!  The rest of us maybe a bit more!   Glad they had a great time.  But accidents do happen.  In the case of a machine on water, pound wise is better than penny foolish.

• Like 1

SilkySal- true, but those on the water my fear is people running into us! We had a cluster yesterday just trying to get off the inland lake we live near now (we are trailer boaters). It went like this- 3:30 in the afternoon people like us ready to get off for the day, people wanting to get on, 3 lanes at the state park available. Dude with a $125,000 + MasterCraft launches- then decides to move his wakeboards off his tower and open the sunshade- in front of me who was waiting to dock. Group swimming, yes, swimming in one of the launch ramps (which my husband could have used to put the trailer in) when I said something about not swimming there I got a bunch of "we're looking for our car keys"- no joke. The MasterCraft then came and picked them up. I could go on about the stuff I have seen this summer- but most of it has been new boat owners just not paying any attention on the water. I haven't been on a horse for years, but my boss does 3 day eventing and I have been out on her farm and even if she would let me on her horses I would say no. Her and her husband have had some very interesting injuries!

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Wave Runners are very easy to ride.

You don't lessons, education, or long instruction

Basically get on and go.

I recommend renting your own at any beach every...

This isn't any beach.  It's at Coco Cay. RCL's private island.  I doubt you can self rent. Or if so probably not a lot of savings .  Also the water around Coco Cay can get choppy.  Lots of wind in the area. They cancel hot air ballooning often.

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

This isn't any beach.  It's at Coco Cay. RCL's private island.  I doubt you can self rent. Or if so probably not a lot of savings .  Also the water around Coco Cay can get choppy.  Lots of wind in the area. They cancel hot air ballooning often.

I am fully aware it is CocaCay and the way it is operated.

The advice I was given was to rent a waverunner at any other Caribbean beach.

That way you can ride as you please instead of being tied down to some group..

6 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

You would know that by actually reading the thread.  And reading what BrilloHead quoted in his message.

• Like 1