OFF Britannia now

sandancer

2 hours ago, Glide said:

59 next month, but we really enjoy being around youngere families and their children. Perish the thought that we end up not valuing that children are our future. They stop us being miserable old gits.

In my experience, it is the parents that are the problem, not the children.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 1:55 PM, picsa said:

Smaller ships have fewer facilities, less choice of entertainment, and frequently has a significantly older passenger demographic.

Which is why some of us prefer them - even if we are not in a significantly older demographic...🙂

• Like 3

On 9/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, terrierjohn said:

Passenger space ratio can be a very inaccurate way of determining how much room you have. I prefer the bigger ships with a multiplicity of varied indoor and outdoor spaces.

I found the limited number of venues on Aurora made it feel very claustrophobic, far more so than Azura/Ventura, Emerald and Sapphire Princess, Britannia, Navigator & Indepenence OTS and Celebrity Eclipse, which all felt spacious and roomy, but of course only my opinion.

Sailed twice on Azura, outside school holidays - and on both occasions felt she was terribly overcrowded - much moreso than on any of my cruises aboard Oriana, Aurora or Arcadia...

On 9/6/2021 at 3:20 PM, wowzz said:

Arcadia has by far the best passenger space ratio of any P&O ship. And if you look at the Saga figures, the ratio for their ships is even greater. 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

If you have a look at the numbers quoted for other Vista class vessels (QE or QV for example) they have a much higher quoted passenger number and therefore lower passenger space ratio. 

Therefore I would question if the numbers are correct on that website.  

We’re on board at the moment and have been very lucky with the weather. Very warm from Sunday to yesterday, though still pleasant yesterday despite the odd shower. 

She feels very different to our last experience on her with only 1500 on board at present, at times the atmosphere is lacking a bit in the evenings.

Do miss the lack of a proper prom deck on her, but we knew that when we booked. 

Just spending today in Liverpool chilling on the balcony. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, picsa said:

You like having fewer facilities and less choice of entertainment…

Absolutely. Aurora in particular gives me everything I need. She has a theatre, a large show-lounge and also has musical entertainment regularly in the Crows Nest and Champions plus a lovely quiet bar, so plenty of choice. With regard to eating, she has mdr, Sindhu, Glass House and the buffet, which is also plenty of choice for me.

She has a choice of three pools and a lovely wraparound Promenade. And all these facilities for fewer than 2000 pax.

On top of that, I can usually easily find seats in all venues and don't feel I'm constantly walking miles around the ship just to reach them.

Arcadia is very similar in terms of facilities but the show-lounge (The Globe) is quite small.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Absolutely. Aurora in particular gives me everything I need. She has a theatre, a large show-lounge and also has musical entertainment regularly in the Crows Nest and Champions plus a lovely quiet bar, so plenty of choice. With regard to eating, she has mdr, Sindhu, Glass House and the buffet, which is also plenty of choice for me.

She has a choice of three pools and a lovely wraparound Promenade. And all these facilities for fewer than 2000 pax.

On top of that, I can usually easily find seats in all venues and don't feel I'm constantly walking miles around the ship just to reach them.

Arcadia is very similar in terms of facilities but the show-lounge (The Globe) is quite small.

Totally agree, Britboys.  Whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our seven day trip on Iona and an earlier four day one on Britannia, our ship of choice remains Aurora.  Yes, we may miss the abundance of restaurants, particularly on Iona, but for us those sailings were an opportunity not only to cruise again but to try the larger ships whilst there was reduced capacity.  So next year it's back to Aurora!

• Like 3

Just off Britannia (1st time onboard) and although Aurora has been our favourite this has been our best ship cruise so far (ignoring ports and focusing on just ship  facilities). This was mainly due to lucky circumstances of good weather; lots of great entertainment and facilities but with low passenger numbers so you could guarantee to get in and do almost whatever you fancied. There were a few things that you couldn't do do to COVID rules but the extra space on board made up for that this week. 

Would love to go back on board but am sure will be disappointed as it will be completely different with regular numbers (based on comments I have read about trying to access areas like live lounge and limelight club etc...) but will probably give it a try anyway as loved the ship (except those middle lifts). Either way, can always go back to Aurora that we know and love even when full. Still 1 Britannia seacation left I believe and I would urge anyone still deliberating to go for it.

• Like 2

I’d agree with bouncing wheel, having just got home it was lovely to have so much room on Britannia, but having said that the atmosphere in the venues was a bit lacking due to the low no’s. I heard 1500 passengers last week. No issues with dining though and the venues, though we skipped the theatre not wanting to wear a face mask for the show.

We were in an aft suite and I have to admit the traipse in warm weather with face mask to the epicurean and  back was a bit of a palaver. 

We had a lovely week though and made the most of our suite, and the amazing weather.

It was great to be away enjoying a cruise again, but after 7 days and not getting off in Liverpool we were ready for home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Everyone will be in that 'group' sooner or later if they're lucky.

Avril

Let's face it, the moment we are born, we enter the waiting room. It's just that we don't know the time of our appointment!

• Like 6

On 9/9/2021 at 10:04 AM, Bgees said:

Here here!  We have had great holidays on smaller ships and great holidays on huge ships.

Brittany ferries are quite enjoyable as well. Free parking at Gunwharf for a precruise dinner, a bit of entertainment and an acceptable cabin. I just wish they would clean the cabin windows. Big ship, small ship, new ship, old ship. We enjoy them all.

• Like 2