Silversea beds

Tuscany4

Wondered if we could get a review of the comfort of the beds. We are regular Seabourn cruisers but find their beds to be too hard and uncomfortable. We always specify a topper which masks the problem for about 30 minutes, but after that the firmness problems come back. We are looking at booking a 10 night Silversea and would be grateful for opinions even though I appreciate it is very subjective.

Can’t do with back and hip ache for 10 nights. Many Thanks.

I find the Silversea beds just about the best I have slept in on any cruise or in any hotel. In fact I am finding my sleep number bed at home a disappointment after just getting back from an Alaska cruise on Muse.

• Like 2

I LOVE the Silversea beds too!!!!!!!!!!!  So comfy!!!! I don't have a sleep number but I agree with CJ.......I think that my SS bed is better than what I have now---and I actually got a new bed in July!

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Since SS uses separate beds pushed together as one, it’s easy for the steward to flip just one mattress over as I prefer a firm one while Silver Queen prefers a soft one.  Whatever mattress brand SS uses, we find it comfortable.

They do? Why did my bed feel like it was ONE mattress?  The Muse mattress was really good--the Moon was OUT OF THIS WORLD😀👍

17 minutes ago, Lois R said:

They do? Why did my bed feel like it was ONE mattress?  

Perhaps you were in a top end suite where, as I recall, there is a single king mattress.

There are two mattresses in most suites so that the bedding can be adjusted from one queen/king to two twins, depending upon guest desires.  I recall having seen a long device, about 18" wide, that is put under the mattress pad between the two beds in king/queen formation to make it feel like a single mattress.

Hi, I have never been in a top end suite.........normally I am in a regular balcony. Muse I was in a Panorama--window. No balcony.  I just know it never felt like 2 beds.  Maybe I am just losing my mind😲

I seem to recall reading that Silverseas (and probably others) has mattresses made that are softer on one side and firmer on the other.  They can flip them to suit your pleasure.  I've always been impressed with comfort of their beds, and hardly ever see any bed bugs!  Of course, crawling into bed after a night of wining and dining, falling to sleep is not a problem; that, and we sleep with the door to the balcony open, so we have the sound of the ship ploughing through the bounding main all night to lull us to sleep.  Jeepers - I can't wait to get back on a ship again!!  

I like a reasonably firm mattress (not a super firm one) and find Silversea beds just right. Perhaps if you like a really soft mattress it might be a bit firm, but I'm sure my butler told me last time that alternatives were available if it wasn't right for me.

Edited by Clodia

On 9/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, Tuscany4 said:

Wondered if we could get a review of the comfort of the beds. We are regular Seabourn cruisers but find their beds to be too hard and uncomfortable. We always specify a topper which masks the problem for about 30 minutes, but after that the firmness problems come back. We are looking at booking a 10 night Silversea and would be grateful for opinions even though I appreciate it is very subjective.

Can’t do with back and hip ache for 10 nights. Many Thanks.

SB beds are, as you say, hard ( as is the  ridiculous sofa in the veranda suites) .  I always need a topper.  SS beds ( last I was on) were consistently wonderful.  I have major musculoskeletal sensitivities.  DH equated  my mattress fussing with "princess and the pea" until he also started having trouble.  No fussing on SS .

One more question about beds…..we will be taking our first SS cruise next year on Whisper.  In filling out our on line passenger details, we came upon our bed configuration preferences - queen or single.  We have taken the most cruises on Regent with king size beds.  At home, we have a California king placed sideways so it is extra wide.  I doubt that my husband and I can fit into a queen bed.  He is cocooned in 5 pillows and I toss and turn all night.  Is a single configuration our best option?   

2 hours ago, forgap said:

I doubt that my husband and I can fit into a queen bed.  He is cocooned in 5 pillows and I toss and turn all night.  Is a single configuration our best option?

We sleep in a king bed normally, and while we can tolerate a queen bed, sometimes it doesn't make for a good night's sleep. So on many cruises we have opted for separating the beds rather than having them together in the roughly queen size format. One thing to note is that they can change this easily, so if you have it set up one way initially and would prefer the alternate, you can have it changed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

We sleep in a king bed normally, and while we can tolerate a queen bed, sometimes it doesn't make for a good night's sleep. So on many cruises we have opted for separating the beds rather than having them together in the roughly queen size format. One thing to note is that they can change this easily, so if you have it set up one way initially and would prefer the alternate, you can have it changed.

We also have a king and adjust to a queen for our cruises that are typically a couple of weeks long.   Since we favor port intensive cruises we’re typically ready for bed so maybe that has helped.   We have never opted for the single bed arrangement.   

• 11 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 10:24 PM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I seem to recall reading that Silverseas (and probably others) has mattresses made that are softer on one side and firmer on the other.  They can flip them to suit your pleasure.  I've always been impressed with comfort of their beds, and hardly ever see any bed bugs!  Of course, crawling into bed after a night of wining and dining, falling to sleep is not a problem; that, and we sleep with the door to the balcony open, so we have the sound of the ship ploughing through the bounding main all night to lull us to sleep.  Jeepers - I can't wait to get back on a ship again!!  

"and HARDLY EVER see any bed bugs!"??? This makes me very nervous!

2 hours ago, lindsay_claire said:

I think that might have been said in jest. For the record, I have never seen them And I love their mattresses😀. I would not be nervous about it at all.

Sorry to raise the alarm.  I was strictly kidding about the bed bugs.  We have never seen any, and would not expect to encounter them on a high end cruise line.  However, I'm sure every line has a policy to control them, as they can be brought in on luggage.  We have longstanding policy to never put luggage or clothes on the floor in hotels, no matter how nice they are.  I know some people keep luggage in the tub in hotels, for this reason.  It is a buggy world out there.  Again, I didn't mean to plant any seeds of doubt amongst other readers of this forum.  My bad.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lindsay_claire said:

Reminds me of staying at Lizard Island in Queensland. I asked if it was safe to swim in the sea because we had been warned of the danger of saltwater crocodiles. The answer?  "Don't worry, we almost never see them this far out"

Silversea refers to them as queen size beds, but we found when they pushed the two single beds together in our Deluxe Veranda suite aboard the Moon, it felt more like the king we sleep in at home.  Since we didn't pack a tape measure (who does?), we couldn't confirm the exact size, but it was definitely bigger than the queen bed we have in our guest bedroom.  The mattress, along with those fabulous sheets, made for a good night's sleep.