West Med Cruise in October

jac0871

Hi all 

I’ve got the chance to book Harmony of the Seas for October 17th on the Western Mediterranean cruise from Barcelona. As someone who is scared of the sea and also suffers with seasickness, what can I expect in all honesty? Will it most likely be choppy waters. My main fear is the idea of it being windy during the night and being stuck in the middle of the Mediterranean without any land in sight .. feeling scared and hating it. Equally - I really love the idea of a cruise - and all it has to offer - plus the ship looks spectacular and so does the itinerary. I know I’m a wimp but need some first hand advice from seasoned cruisers. Please 🙂 

If 40+ cruises qualifies as seasoned cruisers.....I can say that although we have occasionally been in some rough seas, that has never been a worry for us.  You mention that you have had seasickness.  Were you on a cruise?  Or?  Is there something worrying about not being able to see land, or being windy during the night?

From what I've seen of the link above, it is quite sensationalist, not what the average cruise is like at all.

Please tell us more about your concerns, as well as what does sound appealing to you.

I try to avoid doing things that I won't enjoy.  

If you really want to try, we find October the best time of the year for a Med cruise (Keep it hush hush 😀).   Weather is good (at least it has been for us) and we don't recall any severe storms, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.   Note that we do not suffer from motion sickness.   And in all fairness you should understand that there will be movement even in moderate seas.  

If you decide to go, I hope you have a great cruise experience.    

Edited by ldubs

On 9/8/2021 at 4:06 PM, jac0871 said:

.My main fear is the idea of it being windy during the night

I have the same problem.

My doctor says I should avoid using the buffet in the evenings. 😉

Western Med should be OK in October, the eastern Med is more risky because the season usually changes quite suddenly sometime in October.

A good big 'un is always more stable than a good little 'un, and they don't come much bigger than Harmony o t S.  The more likely problem at that time of year is that in inclement weather it's too chilly or too wet to make good use of the outside decks & facilities, particularly late in the day.

Prices should be keen in October 🙂

JB 🙂

• 1 month later...

We did the Mediterranean in November. The weather was absolutely wonderful. Except for one day, we had perfect, clear skies, and the temperature hovered in the 60’s during the days. It was blissful. 

After that experience, I now believe that cruising the Mediterranean in the fall is an underrated, hidden gem. Not only was the weather ideal to go ashore and sightsee (no scorching heat like during the summer), but there were considerably fewer tourists, meaning less lines and crowds. Finally, because we traveled “off season”, our cruise fare and airfare were substantially cheaper.