Lisbon Hotel Choice

Hi,

I'm looking at the Hotel Lisboa Plaza and the Ferraria XVL FLH Hotels for a 2 day post stay next October.  The Hotel Lisboa is a heritage hotel, assuming there is some historic nature to the building? It is on Avd.  Libertine, San Antonio.  The Ferraria is a newer hotel I think, on Sapaterois, Santa Maria Maior.  The pricing is similar and they both have good reviews.  Has anyone had any experience with either of these and if so, where you happy with your stay.  Also, is one in a better location to sight, restaurants, airport?  Location is a important factor for us.

Hi

I think we are on the same cruise

We are staying in Lisbon for 2 days of sightseeing after the cruise

I started out using booking.com but found too many full up notices

That's when I realizes it was early to book

I wanted to be farther down the hill than the location you are considering

We also like larger than double beds

I ended up emailing this small hotel/ guesthouse which looks lovely

Alecrim ao Chiado

We are paying 170 euro pernight with breakfast and a small balcony

It is refundable so if I change my mind there's no problem

I also looked at Avenida Palace but I thought it fel too elegant for my low key DH

Yes, Riff 😀 We are on the same Roll Call. I'm going to look into your place.  It is early but some places seem to be booked up already too.  Hotel Lisboa seems to be a short walk to many attractions: Barro Alto 12 mins, Chiado 6 mins, Rossio Square for tours, 4 mins, Alfama 13 mins.    However, from past experience, we know that times listed on booking specs can be misleading!  Hoping we get some info from a local or traveller who has been to Lisbon.  Looking forward to chatting with you again, we can compare tour options too.

2 minutes ago, cleobella said:

Hi Just correcting myself.  In another post I see that you and several others note that "sold out" just means the hotel is  not booking so far ahead.  Thanks and will keep an eye out for the Avendia Palace bookings 

Hi, I am staying at Avenida Palace next month. Will post about my experience upon my return🙂

• Like 2

@cleobella

Your hotel gets great reviews on Trip Advisor

All say the location is great!

I didn't mean to seem negative about it!

DH is a little claustrophobic so I try to find rooms that have larger beds and a balcony if possible

I don't know why but when I travel I just get feelings about certain areas on the map

I first looked at Memmo Alfama to be totally different

T h ey wouldn't book early so I started moving the map around and just found

Alecrim

I may change my mind as time goes on

No worries Riff, its great to be able to share info. I booked a Terrace room which seems to be a large balcony. My experience in Europe is that sometimes Double Bed actually means King, or Queen. But the hotel does seem to be in the middle of a shopping neighborhood, which could be good or bad. Still, I'm encouraged by the reviews as you mentioned.Looking forward to hearing about the Avenida Palace from Lois. Glad we have lots of time to plan!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to throw this out there....we flew to Lisbon from Barcelona for three days after our cruise in 2019.  Instead of a hotel we booked with VRBO and got an amazing apartment right on R. Augusta and it cost less than a hotel. I'm not sure how much Covid has changed things but that might also be something to look into. Enjoy! 

Edited by erby2283

15 hours ago, cleobella said:

Actually VRBO is a great idea, if we stay longer then just a couple of days I think I’ll check it out. Thanks Erby!

You’re very welcome. I looked to see if the apartment we had was listed but it wasn’t. I definitely would have recommended it. Here’s a picture of us on the balcony watching the street artists below and a picture of what is cost - just to help give you an idea of pricing versus a hotel (340 euros for 3 nights after refundable deposit was returned). 

D0DA135C-5E63-4908-B3A1-97DD7328ADBA.jpeg

CDFD2161-B53D-4A1E-AB23-1ACBFFDAA9D6.png

• 4 weeks later...

We just spent three nights pre-cruise at Hotel Bairro Alto and loved it. Pricey but gorgeous room and bathroom and a beautiful rooftop terrace to enjoy the views at breakfast. Loved the location for touring and restaurants. 

I am sitting in The Hotel Avenida Palace right now........absolutely beautiful😀 and wonderful location. I paid 202 Euros which includes breakfast tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Flora Chiado apartments are highly rated, well located, spacious and rates include breakfast delivered each morning and one-way airport transport.  There is a front desk with concierge service and they can arrange restaurant and tour reservations.  Next Sept. we’ll be staying there between 2 cruises so it will be nice to spread out, go to the food hall down the street to gather provisions and relax.  I’ve spoken to people who have stayed there and they rave about it.  I think there are a lot of great options in Lisbon.  

Edited by Gourmet Gal

On 10/20/2021 at 9:47 PM, riffatsea said:

Thanks for reporting back Lois

W h at sightseeing are you planning from that location?

Hi, I just got home from my trip last night about 1am😲

I walked down to the water and just strolled along, found a lovely place for lunch, then I took a "trolley car" ride around the city......20 Euros for about 75-80 minutes.....nice easy way to see things. I left the hotel around 11:30 am and got back about 3:30pm.......so was out for the afternoon. I took a nap and then went to dinner at a local place recommended by the hotel. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, cleobella said:

Thanks for your feedback Lois.  Hope you enjoyed your trip! Was the breakfast good at the Av. Palace?

Thanks!

Hi,🙂 it was fantastic actually............it was a buffet and they had TONS of items to choose from🙂. Everything was beautifully set up too. It was quite elegant to be honest with you. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Lois R Thanks for reporting on the Avenida Palace.  I had it booked for a pre cruise stay in June 2020, but.............

I'm now starting to put together a trip to Lisbon and beyond next year and will once again plan on the Avenida Palace.  Since my cancellation in 2020 they have sent me regular updates on the hotel and enticements to "return"!  Thanks for the first hand report!

~Nancy

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2021 at 3:34 AM, oakridger said:

@Lois R Thanks for reporting on the Avenida Palace.  I had it booked for a pre cruise stay in June 2020, but.............

I'm now starting to put together a trip to Lisbon and beyond next year and will once again plan on the Avenida Palace.  Since my cancellation in 2020 they have sent me regular updates on the hotel and enticements to "return"!  Thanks for the first hand report!

~Nancy

HI Nancy, I am sailing out of Lisbon again in April😃,,,,,,,,if you are still lurking around, when are you going?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Lois R!  I have pushed back the Portugal trip until the pandemic "settles down" again.  The good thing is I'm flexible on timing so when I feel the time is ripe I can jump on it pretty quickly!    I was thinking of maybe trying again to cruise out of Lisbon next spring but schedules are still in flux....I may instead do a land trip if a cruise doesn't fit.  I'm so ready!!!!

What sailing will you be on in April?  Please let us know how it is.  I have been reading your posts for a couple of years and appreciate the information, especially from the solo cruiser perspective.  Thanks!

~Nancy

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hi @Lois R!  I have pushed back the Portugal trip until the pandemic "settles down" again.  The good thing is I'm flexible on timing so when I feel the time is ripe I can jump on it pretty quickly!    I was thinking of maybe trying again to cruise out of Lisbon next spring but schedules are still in flux....I may instead do a land trip if a cruise doesn't fit.  I'm so ready!!!!

What sailing will you be on in April?  Please let us know how it is.  I have been reading your posts for a couple of years and appreciate the information, especially from the solo cruiser perspective.  Thanks!

~Nancy

Hi Nancy, thanks for the kind words🙂.  My trip is supposed to be a b2b.......flying to Lisbon on March 30th.......one night pre cruise.....then 7 nights from Lisbon to Barcelona followed by 10 nights Barcelona to Rome.  It is a waiting game now.........