Alaska cruising in late September

Thorswife59

Hi. We have cruised Alaska before in mid summer but are considering a late September last minute cruise. Everything I read says the weather will be cold and rainy, lots of fog, rough seas ... Is this truly the norm?  Obviously  I know with weather you never know what you’re going to get but I’m just really concerned about it being as bad as they say and is it worth doing. We love cruising of course,  all the great food, entertainment and all the great amenities.  But I also would at least like to be able to get out on deck sometimes, maybe use the hot tub and enjoy a port or two that wasn’t out in pouring rain. Thanks for any input and experience. 

We have had multiple mid- to late-September AK cruises.  I can't say that we have ever hit a major storm, but drizzly rain or fog can happen--both at sea and in ports.  On one trip it was so clear and warm in Ketchikan (yes, rainforest Ketchikan) that I was sunburned.  We have hit bright sunny days in Glacier Bay and we have hit gray overcast days in Glacier Bay,  

As you can see from the various "Live from. . . ." posts since Alaska cruising resumed in August, the weather reports have varied.  The fact that we have never hit a major September storm means nothing if it turns out that you do hit one.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Interestingly, the biggest storm I have ever experienced on a cruise ship was in early August in the Gulf of Alaska.  That was a real E Ticket ride.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

We have had multiple mid- to late-September AK cruises.  I can't say that we have ever hit a major storm, but drizzly rain or fog can happen--both at sea and in ports.  On one trip it was so clear and warm in Ketchikan (yes, rainforest Ketchikan) that I was sunburned.  We have hit bright sunny days in Glacier Bay and we have hit gray overcast days in Glacier Bay,  

As you can see from the various "Live from. . . ." posts since Alaska cruising resumed in August, the weather reports have varied.  The fact that we have never hit a major September storm means nothing if it turns out that you do hit one.  You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Interestingly, the biggest storm I have ever experienced on a cruise ship was in early August in the Gulf of Alaska.  That was a real E Ticket ride.

Thanks so much for the input. Yes, roughest ride we ever had was in July on an Alaskan cruise.  That was my first experience with Sea Bands, which saved my life! 😄

My last Alaska September cruise was battered with 100 mph winds from the west while exposed to the open ocean, predictable by the Captain so things could be tied down, but the rest of the cruise was calm.  I survived and enjoyed Alaska during that cruise.

I recently booked Alaska again in mid-September 2022.  It will be the same temps as my normal May Alaska cruises, much shorter days, and a bit more rain.  Planning for the worst and being thrilled with good weather is my focus for every Alaska cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thorswife59 said:

Hi. We have cruised Alaska before in mid summer but are considering a late September last minute cruise. Everything I read says the weather will be cold and rainy, lots of fog, rough seas ... Is this truly the norm?  Obviously  I know with weather you never know what you’re going to get but I’m just really concerned about it being as bad as they say and is it worth doing. We love cruising of course,  all the great food, entertainment and all the great amenities.  But I also would at least like to be able to get out on deck sometimes, maybe use the hot tub and enjoy a port or two that wasn’t out in pouring rain. Thanks for any input and experience. 

Our first cruise to Alaska was Sep 18-25.  Our second was in early June.

I found the weather pretty comparable.  Drizzly, but not "rain".  Cool, in the high 50s - mid 60s.  We did have one night of rough seas when we crossed into the inside passage on the Sep cruise, but only that one night.  Daylight lasted longer on the June cruise than Sep.  The September cruise we were the last cruise ship for the season (from all lines) and found some places already closed up for winter, but those that were open had great sales (including onboard).  

I'd do either one again.

• Like 1

We cruised in late September a few years ago and late July this year and we had equivalent weather both trips. Some sunny warm days and a few cooler cloudy days. We did have all our air excursions cancelled on the September cruise.  I think the weather is variable enough that it doesn’t matter when you go. Our September cruise was from San Francisco and I don’t remember any rough seas. Enjoy!

Bob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rwmiller said:

We cruised in late September a few years ago and late July this year and we had equivalent weather both trips. Some sunny warm days and a few cooler cloudy days. We did have all our air excursions cancelled on the September cruise.  I think the weather is variable enough that it doesn’t matter when you go. Our September cruise was from San Francisco and I don’t remember any rough seas. Enjoy!

Bob

Thanks so much! We’ve decided to go for it!

• Like 1

The weather is always unpredictable in this part of the world.  I have cruised Alaska 4 times in September, other times in May and July.   Until a few years ago, the Alaska cruise season began one week later and finished on week earlier.  I honestly think they should return to finishing earlier again as late September can be rocky and weather miserable.

4 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

The weather is always unpredictable in this part of the world.  I have cruised Alaska 4 times in September, other times in May and July.   Until a few years ago, the Alaska cruise season began one week later and finished on week earlier.  I honestly think they should return to finishing earlier again as late September can be rocky and weather miserable.

I agree just look at PTZ web cam for Juneau and every other day is rainy and miserable. Poor NCL Encore goes in every Wed and it is the same weather.  then a few days later, another ship might have a nice day.  the best time is May and June when the snow is still in the mountains and make for nice photos.  Hardly anything in Sept that looks like classic Alaska.