Shower/Tub combo vs glass shower only - Mariner

macmarsue

I am currently booked in a regular veranda cabin F cat. on Mariner Jan 2024 and in the past I have had a glassed in shower only on that same ship. The only cabin available at the moment is a shower / tub combo. Even the concierge cat shows only tub/shower combo available.  Does anyone have any photos of what the combo looks like? Has anyone stayed in this cat cabin on the Mariner and do you have an opinion on the tub/shower combo? Is it a regular tub or are there any steps leading into the tub? I did see the combo briefly while on board and I seem to remember that the ceiling above the tub seemed low. 

The last time I stayed in a Mariner cabin with a tub was 2005, but I remember it all too well. At that time, all the regular verandah cabins had those tubs.  There's a reason that, over the years, they've been gradually tearing out the tubs and replacing them with showers.

There are several problems with them. First, the tub is elevated so that it's a high step up into it and a high step back out again. And the elevation also results in the ceiling being low. 

The other problem is the way that the tub abuts the sink. If you have any kind of leg or knee problem, the old trick of sitting on the edge of the tub and swinging your leg in won't work because the sink is in the way.

I am not tall, and had no knee problems back then, but even I found the tub awkward. But it was tolerable. It was a real problem for others on the ship, however, to the point that some showered in the gym.

I agree with the post above. The tub bottom is almost 10” higher than the bathroom floor, there is less than 6’2” headroom in the tub, and the tub is rather narrow. It is a very awkward set-up. Even though I am only 5’7” tall, I continually banged my hands on the ceiling when washing my hair.  This info is from our first Mariner cruise some time ago, and yes, I measured. On more recent Mariner cruises, we have made sure we get a shower - only suite.

• Like 1

That is what I was afraid of.

We had the glass shower on a previous cruise and when we booked this World Cruise for 2024 all that was available were a few staterooms with the tub/shower combo. I am hoping something will open up closer to the sail date that we can move to.

I'm trying to stay positive and think about how lucky I am to get to go on a World Cruise and not worry to much about the shower. Thanks again for your input on this.

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

Is the tub replacement part of the refit dry dock? We are on the sister ship Voyager next year in an F suite # 758. How do I find out what the bathroom layout is for that suite?

As you've seen, all suites on Voyager have both.  The standard suite is also roomier on Voyager.  The trade-off is that Mariner public areas are bigger.  And that shower stall in the Voyager standard suites are quite small (large enough, just not like the ones on Mariner which are the footprint of the former bathtubs.)

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

All suites on Voyager have a bathtub and a separate shower cubicle.

Hate the tub/shower combo. There is a large height difference between the tub floor and bathroom floor which makes getting in and out cumbersome and ungainly. Many people have fallen and injured. 

On my first Mariner cruise in 2001 the ship was new and everyone complained about the tub, which led to the eventual remodeling of most of them into the shower only configuration.  

J

mrstanley, yes, it is hard for people with short legs to enter and exit the Mariner tub. And if you are 6’2” tall or more, you have zero headroom. And people with large bodies will find the tub width insufficient.

Aloha, Regent has slowly replaced the tub/shower situation on the Mariner since the first dry dock. Very slowly. So I don’t think we can expect a massive conversion on the next dry dock.

All, the Mariner Suites are are the same size from category H up to concierge, and they are much smaller than the Voyager suites in the same categories. For us, Mariner suites in these categories a suitable for only fairly short cruises, even if the tub/shower has been replaced by a shower only

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I agree about the tub/shower combo being a potential fall issue. I try to avoid tubs like the plague. It's been 6 years and a lot of cruises since I was on Voyager and I could not recall what the bathroom layout was.

Edited by Aloha 1