Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

2 minutes ago, rd_cruise said:

Wow. Thanks for sharing. 

The “wow” is that Explora did not get ahead of this; they did not study Crisis Communications 101 (or their partner ELH Business School does not teach it).  Really sad for their months of great lead up to the launch being diminished/trashed by non-existent communications on this major issue.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

The “wow” is that Explora did not get ahead of this; they did not study Crisis Communications 101 (or their partner ELH Business School does not teach it).  Really sad for their months of great lead up to the launch being diminished/trashed by non-existent communications on this major issue.  

I appreciate that their message to TA's was a bit forthcoming and would rather they delay delivery than try to push anything unsafe forward. 

Interesting that the Euribia is called out, and presumably the Seascape (they mention that another MSC ship, built by Fincantieri, used the same panels, and I'm guessing it's the Seascape since it was produced around the same time).

Also mentioned Meyer Werft, so I even wonder if other recent launched ships like the Disney Wish are impacted. And then if they are impacted, would we expect them all to be taken out of service for a few weeks?

3 hours ago, nrc said:

My travel agent just called to tell me that my Explora 1 8/8-15 cruise from Iceland to Denmark has been cancelled.  She's trying to find out how they plan to compensate the passengers.  For me, it means cancelling 3 flights and two hotel reservations, and figuring out how to spend the time before we fly home on 8/26.  I really do know better than to book a maiden voyage....

I would check with your travel agent again as mine told me the new cruise is on August 1. I also called Explora and they told me the same. 

Edited by Ljames23
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, peder said:

Interesting that the Euribia is called out, and presumably the Seascape (they mention that another MSC ship, built by Fincantieri, used the same panels, and I'm guessing it's the Seascape since it was produced around the same time).

Also mentioned Meyer Werft, so I even wonder if other recent launched ships like the Disney Wish are impacted. And then if they are impacted, would we expect them all to be taken out of service for a few weeks?

Hmm…maybe!

We're scheduled for Sept 2 thru Sept 9th. We've been super excited about this cruise hopefully they get this figured out. However, I have a few concerns like how many panels we talking about? I assume thousands. If that's the case and there's dozens of ships involved, it sounds like a supply chain nightmare. What's the lead-time on the replacement panels? Have they been ordered? Who gets first dibs.... Lots of unanswered questions....

Wasn't able to read the Ft article, was any this covered?

Hoping August 1st happens!

Edited by CB BOARDER
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CB BOARDER said:

We're scheduled for Sept 2 thru Sept 9th. We've been super excited about this cruise hopefully they get this figured out. However, I have a few concerns like how many panels we talking about? I assume thousands. If that's the case and there's dozens of ships involved, it sounds like a supply chain nightmare. What's the lead-time on the replacement panels? Have they been ordered? Who gets first dibs.... Lots of unanswered questions....

It may be a rolling problem – ships with valid licenses don't get reinspected until a certain timeframe.  It's unlikely the flag authorities will pull 15% of all passenger ships (45 out of fewer than 300, per the article) out of service until thousands of panels can be re-engineered, certified, manufactured, and installed.

The problem here is that Explora I hadn't gotten its certification and can't until this problem is resolved one way or another.  [In the old days, either asbestos or a bribe would have taken care of it.  😉]  Let's hope there is a small cache of panels from another manufacturer that can quickly be installed in this one ship.

3 hours ago, Ljames23 said:

I would check with your travel agent again as mine told me the new cruise is on August 1. I also called Explora and they told me the same. 

She called me this afternoon saying that she'd been contacted by her Explora agent with the news.  I will, of course, check again, but I'm not hopeful.

1 hour ago, CB BOARDER said:

Google “Financial Times”. At present, it’s the first article in the list.

I’m also interested in the status of cruise ships being renovated at the Fincantieri shipyard.

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It may be a rolling problem – ships with valid licenses don't get reinspected until a certain timeframe.  It's unlikely the flag authorities will pull 15% of all passenger ships (45 out of fewer than 300, per the article) out of service until thousands of panels can be re-engineered, certified, manufactured, and installed.

The problem here is that Explora I hadn't gotten its certification and can't until this problem is resolved one way or another.  [In the old days, either asbestos or a bribe would have taken care of it.  😉]  Let's hope there is a small cache of panels from another manufacturer that can quickly be installed in this one ship.

I do wonder though given the obvious safety concerns if a cruise line will feel comfortable relying on certification of products that’s withdrawn. Some might see that as corporate negligence that risks manslaughter charges if heaven forbid a fire broke out and there were fatalities.  In the UK, we still hurt from our Grenfell Tower disaster which was so bad because the cladding was not fire retardant to the correct standards. 

42 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

Just saw this on BBC news page. Think other cruise lines will also be impacted? 

The FT article appears to be suggesting that there are 45 'boats' in operation with the faulty panels. (The article is not particularly well written though).  

• Like 1

If you look at the panel suppliers website you get a sense of who is affected. It also involves other shipyards so includes Royal. You just wonder who were the last 45 ships to be built or have a major refurbishment. 

From what I’m hearing, in every other way, although running a little late they were ready for the inaugural which does give comfort to those of us who were told yesterday by some posters that we should have known better. I think I’d now rather be on a ship that’s panels are 100% compliant than one currently cruising with non compliant panels. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, saminina said:

Regarding major UK agencies.  We booked our Explora cruise with one.  Just made final payment and the name of agency is listed on the credit card charge, not Explora.

That is potentially bad news, as you have effectively booked with, and paid, a third party rather than the cruise line.

With our U.K. TA the payment always shows as direct to the cruise company.

During the pandemic, cancellation refunds that had to come via TAs were very slow, 

If the TA goes bust then there also could be a problem.
Finally, credit card companies are less willing to deal with disputes where payment was made to a third party.

With what is going on with Explora you are right to be concerned.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thanks. I can sleep a little easier knowing O-C is the manufacturer behind my payment in full the end of this month.

I feel your pain - we're in the same position!

As I told my agent, too late to cancel without penalty so we'll hope for the best and also hope that if it's a no go, we'll find out sooner than later.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

I am frankly shocked at their compensation offer - it's basically meaningless.

The bare minimum that they should be offering is a full refund and a free cruise for the number of days that this one was.  Travel agents were already reluctant because of MSC's reputation and this will only serve to seal the deal.  If you don't have luxury agents on your side, it's game over.

They have cancelled other cruises and have not offered a free cruise as compensation. It is like it is. In this case is a safety issue. In my case the cancellation was because apparently of popular demand they decided to stay in the Caribbean.

I was not a happy cruiser trying to find another itinerary to rebook and realizing that their “generous offer” was diminished by price increases.

Ivi

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I am not sure that it was Explora who did not get the certification. According to the article in the financial times it was a provider of certain panels, the one who did not pass the exams. Since other cruise lines are also using those panels, is not a problem from Explora alone. 
Ivi

• Like 1