Visiting Naples from Rome?

Magiemae41

Hi, we are staying a few days in Rome prior to our cruise.  Since we have visited Rome several times we would like to take the train down to Naples (this is not one of our cruise stops) and visit Pompeii and possibly Naples itself.  I have no idea on what is the best way to do this. 

Does anyone know of any tour companies that would pick us up from the train station?  Or possibly from Rome and travel down to Naples?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mae and Kirk

I can't offer help on tour companies.  However, if you chose to do it on your own, it's not that difficult since you're apparently already comfortable with taking a train from Rome to Naples.

A fast train from Rome Termini station to Naples Central station takes just about 75 minutes or so.  After you exit the train at Naples Central, you would then change trains on to the regional Circumvesuviana train system.  The Circumvesuviana trains is a commuter train, very similar to a subway train.  The Circumvesuviana train actually starts its run one station prior to Naples Central at its own starting station.  But there is a stop at Naples Central where you can get on.  I believe its in the lower level of the Naples station, but you I'm not certain.  You should easily be able to find signs pointing you to the Circumvesuviana.  You would need to locate the ticket booths for that line and purchase your tickets to Pompeii before boarding. 

Some of the Circumvesuviana trains stop at all the interim stops and some are more express and skip some stops.  I believe that all of them stop at the Pompeii Scavi station, which is the one you want.  But you need to check that to be sure.  Definitely find one that stops at that station.  Since these trains are commuter trains, there are no assigned seats.  And they can be crowded during rush hours.  You may need to stand for a while.  The Pompeii Scavi stop is right at the entrance to Pompeii.   Guard your valuables.  Locals are known to target tourists on the trains.

On your return back from Pompeii, just reverse your trip on the Circumvesuviana.  I would get off at the same station you started with, Naples Centrale because from there, you can get on the Yellow Metro subway line to go into the tourist area of Naples.  There is a Blue Line as well, so depending on specifically what you wish to see in Naples, you may want to use it.

If you're comfortable with trains and subways in Rome, you should be fine doing this trip too.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I will agree with others that it is pretty easy to get yourself from Rome to central Naples, and I would take euro cruiser's advice to get to Pompeii.

If you want a guided tour, you can find licensed guides at the main Pompeii entrance where you purchase tickets. They usually try to gather a group of 8-10 together but that may have changed in COVID times....  I would take some kind of guidebook or audio guide with me (or in my case copious notes, LOL). Rick Steves has both for a relatively rapid walk through the most important sections.

What are you thinking of doing in Naples?  I can highly recommend the Archaeological Museum there as a complement to your time in Pompeii. In Pompeii you'll see the structures but in the museum you'll see the frescoes, mosaics, statues and all of the rescued objects of daily living like furniture, plates, jewelry, etc.

Thank you all so much for the detailed suggestions.  I think we would be quite comfortable taking the train on our own.  We plan on a day trip.  I've seen Pompeii but hubby has not so we definitely want to do that.  And my grandparents are originally from the Napes area so I'd love to be able to roam around for a little while. 

Do you think there will be tour guides near Pompeii offering to take you into Naples? 

We are so used to arranging things from the port that I wasn't sure how to go about it from the sites. 

Mae

21 hours ago, Magiemae41 said:

Thank you all so much for the detailed suggestions.  I think we would be quite comfortable taking the train on our own.  We plan on a day trip.  I've seen Pompeii but hubby has not so we definitely want to do that.  And my grandparents are originally from the Napes area so I'd love to be able to roam around for a little while. 

Do you think there will be tour guides near Pompeii offering to take you into Naples? 

We are so used to arranging things from the port that I wasn't sure how to go about it from the sites. 

Mae

I'm not sure about finding guides at Pompeii to take you into Naples. Most of the guides at Pompeii work at the site and are looking to take people through it. Others are probably prebooked in advance. 

Do you know what you want to do in Naples?  Rick Steves has an interesting walk through some of the iconic streets/areas. Using the metro (once you return to the city after Pompeii) and then walking about is pretty straightforward without a guide.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 2:54 PM, Magiemae41 said:

Mae

I cannot imagine you would find any tour guides at Pompeii other then those licensed to take groups into the ruins.  But  I am a little confused by your post since you indicate your DW would not want to even go to Pompeii.  When you take the train to Naples you will be in Naples....not Pompeii.  You can simply walk out of the train station and start to enjoy Naples (at least for those that do enjoy Naples).  While you might be able to stumble on a guide at the train station we would never suggest hiring anyone at the train station (you have no clue what you are getting).  If you want a tour guide in Naples you might want to look into "Tours by Locals" or seek out some tour recommendations on Tripadvisor's dedicated Forum for Naples Italy (note that Tripadvisor is a sister company of CC).   If you do go to Pompeii you could easily take the Circumvesuviania Line train back to Naples and then spend some time in that city.

Naples can also be toured on one's own and you can get lots of help from a decent guide book such as the Rick Steves guide.  

• 2 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:18 PM, Hlitner said:

I cannot imagine you would find any tour guides at Pompeii other then those licensed to take groups into the ruins.  But  I am a little confused by your post since you indicate your DW would not want to even go to Pompeii.  When you take the train to Naples you will be in Naples....not Pompeii.  You can simply walk out of the train station and start to enjoy Naples (at least for those that do enjoy Naples).  While you might be able to stumble on a guide at the train station we would never suggest hiring anyone at the train station (you have no clue what you are getting).  If you want a tour guide in Naples you might want to look into "Tours by Locals" or seek out some tour recommendations on Tripadvisor's dedicated Forum for Naples Italy (note that Tripadvisor is a sister company of CC).   If you do go to Pompeii you could easily take the Circumvesuviania Line train back to Naples and then spend some time in that city.

Naples can also be toured on one's own and you can get lots of help from a decent guide book such as the Rick Steves guide.  

Thank you so much.  This is definitely helpful to know we can see Pompeii and then take a train to Naples.  That gives me a good starting place.