Coming back to Quest - any questions you want answering (plus some things we have learned about travelling nowadays)

uktog

We were told that the Aqualina breakfast and the grab and go boxes from the living room were to give more options to spread people in readiness for forthcoming cruises with a lot more guests. There are lots of tables blocked off at present which isn’t a problem with 160 on board but these new options will help to take the pressure off windows and Discoveries as they prepare to welcome more guests on board and still keep distance. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ok a report on an Azamara excursion from Heraklion to the deserted former leper’s colony The Island of Spinalonga and a snack lunch at Plaka. It was a five hour trip. 
The good

There were only six on the trip, the bus was socially very distanced 

The guide was very good 

The less good 

Forget social distancing on the boat but we’d been asked to wear masks so some mitigation - the instructions on boarding were wear masks and stay 1.5 feet apart. Mask wearing wasn’t enforced and distancing was impossible- at least we were outdoors!

At lunch we were all required to sit at one table indoors no alternative- that seemed wrong after all we’ve been through on the ship. But the platter was delicious! 
So if you can cope with the less good and are traveling soon it’s a good trip to do, very interesting history the island has had from Venetian times. It’s being slowly restored. 

9F03812E-97FB-4221-85BA-19E17B4EAD41.jpeg

855A24B7-C7BE-446F-A72D-F7EA4B0385CB.jpeg

F99E92F9-8F98-41D5-B0B4-335BA20F0DFF.jpeg

5E75A416-9AE4-4C4A-8D03-1A15D576BA20.jpeg

9BF5E8B9-6EE4-42F9-B006-F4681F57E55D.jpeg

16E1F091-1029-4F81-8445-F921E3A7DBBC.jpeg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

Ok a report on an Azamara excursion from Heraklion to the deserted former leper’s colony The Island of Spinalonga and a snack lunch at Plaka. It was a five hour trip. 
The good

There were only six on the trip, the bus was socially very distanced 

The guide was very good 

The less good 

Forget social distancing on the boat but we’d been asked to wear masks so some mitigation - the instructions on boarding were wear masks and stay 1.5 feet apart. Mask wearing wasn’t enforced and distancing was impossible- at least we were outdoors!

At lunch we were all required to sit at one table indoors no alternative- that seemed wrong after all we’ve been through on the ship. But the platter was delicious! 
So if you can cope with the less good and are traveling soon it’s a good trip to do, very interesting history the island has had from Venetian times. 

A good read after this excursion would be Victoria Hislop’s «The Island» 😎

• Like 2

Thanks, uktog, for your reports.   We had been wondering about the new ownership wrt food and entertainment...sounds great!

I was wondering about the fitness centre....do you need to sign up for a time?  Are classes offered (stretch, pilates, zumba)?  

We're on the Dec 23 cruise, and are optimistic about it sailing!

22 minutes ago, airhose said:

Thanks, uktog, for your reports.   We had been wondering about the new ownership wrt food and entertainment...sounds great!

I was wondering about the fitness centre....do you need to sign up for a time?  Are classes offered (stretch, pilates, zumba)?  

We're on the Dec 23 cruise, and are optimistic about it sailing!

Yes classes are offered and other gym kit is free to use without booking. DH has been in and enjoyed socially distanced exercise 

• Like 2

Thanks to Huntingdon we took the boat trip around the caldera shore excursion. If he had not spoken about it we would not have realised what a good trip it was so huge thanks. 
It was excellent covid secure they expected us to wear masks all the time but we are ok with that. 
Here are some pictures 

1CC58923-F966-459A-AFFF-7E9F56FC08A2.jpeg

0F18AE33-09BA-4C01-9F17-0F6F0AFE72C1.jpeg

2638171E-E96E-4AA1-88C3-3268BC3D49CC.jpeg

8AE18E98-B5C2-489D-89F1-800FB8F03D32.jpeg

• Like 4

An update on disembarkation testing. 
This week it is being done in Mykonos (one day later, the Friday.). Good news for anyone staying overnight in Athens it probably now gets them home but for us flying home on the day of disembarkation it’s now wiping out tomorrow night in terms of then doing all the other locator forms and submit to Verifly which we need confirmation of before we can do online check in. The results in a format we can use for forms will not arrive until late afternoon at the earliest. Really big let down for us 

The ships WiFi is so slow it’s very difficult to get logged into the UK government PLF site and then the connections drop so you have to log back in, get more text authentication codes and hope you don’t get kicked out ……

So my big advice is at present DO NOT if at all possible fly home on disembarkation day. Take that day in a hotel and decent WiFi to sort things out even if it means another tests - sounds like all the hotels have connections and even some set up taxis to local test centres. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, uktog said:

This week it is being done in Mykonos (one day later, the Friday.). Good news for anyone staying overnight in Athens it probably now gets them home but for us flying home on the day of disembarkation it’s now wiping out tomorrow night in terms of then doing all the other locator forms and submit to Verifly which we need confirmation of before we can do online check in. The results in a format we can use for forms will not arrive until late afternoon at the earliest. Really big let down for us 

The ships WiFi is so slow it’s very difficult to get logged into the UK government PLF site and then the connections drop so you have to log back in, get more text authentication codes and hope you don’t get kicked out ……

So my big advice is at present DO NOT if at all possible fly home on disembarkation day. Take that day in a hotel and decent WiFi to sort things out even if it means another tests - sounds like all the hotels have connections and even some set up taxis to local test centres. 

.uktog, thanks for all your posts, I’m so glad you have enjoyed it up to now and things look positive, apart from the tonic! 😤 We have taken onboard your comments re flying home on the day of disembarkation, as you may remember we are trying for an 11:20 am flight from Barcelona on disembarkation day. We are going to keep an eye on things as our cruise ends on 2nd April, but as we got a good deal by booking the flight early we will transfer it to the day after if we need to and book a hotel. Wishing you a safe journey home, with no problems! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uktog said:

This will not affect EU and Schengen. We don’t need PLF or tests before flying home. The Corona Certificate is valid for travel.

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed the tour!

Testing on the last day sounds better to me. There would possibly be a cost implication for some, but I found using my phone for roaming worked really well and I could do everything on that quite quickly, rather than wait for the ships wifi (which I could never get to work). 

• Like 2

“White Nights” - ok it’s not what it used to be but it’s a great evening. They are serving the same reduced set menu in Windows and Discoveries. I’ve posted it below - the salmon is to die for and the lemon tart is so lemony, it’s a star. Socially distanced chairs on deck but given the ship is only a quarter full the dance floor is busy. They are also coming round and round with lots of nibbles but I’m too well fed from dinner! 
Santorini is a lovely spot for such an evening and we are really enjoying it! 

4BE2A0A9-B1B2-401F-8282-1C19305C477D.jpeg

52AEB44F-F60D-4B37-89B3-8955FD75DAA4.jpeg

F9A6EB2F-93E8-4675-B669-9E3C66F903AA.jpeg

5E4360EC-08D8-419D-AB6D-8F8F085B7B2B.jpeg

53993705-A29E-4A72-9AD9-5833DC0143AC.jpeg

1965E624-DB7F-4153-A81E-0AA75A310D71.jpeg

FCB103BA-A3BC-49FB-BEE3-485430918ED3.jpeg

• Like 9

Ok uktog and Huntingdon1701 I am blaming you both!  With the phenomenal reports and photos you have provided my longing to be aboard an Azamara ship has gotten the best of me.  We are already booked to sail B2B2B next July but just can not wait that long.  Happy to report I just called and booked for January 18, 2022 aboard the Journey!  Sooòo looking forward to once again walk up that gangplank to enjoy another fantastic Azamara adventure.  Thank you for all your wonderful posts - safe travels.   💕💕💕

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, Work in to Cruise 2023 said:

Ok uktog and Huntingdon1701 I am blaming you both!  With the phenomenal reports and photos you have provided my longing to be aboard an Azamara ship has gotten the best of me.  We are already booked to sail B2B2B next July but just can not wait that long.  Happy to report I just called and booked for January 18, 2022 aboard the Journey!  Sooòo looking forward to once again walk up that gangplank to enjoy another fantastic Azamara adventure.  Thank you for all your wonderful posts - safe travels.   💕💕💕

See you there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Work in to Cruise 2023 said:

Happy to report I just called and booked for January 18, 2022 aboard the Journey!  Sooòo looking forward to once again walk up that gangplank to enjoy another fantastic Azamara adventure.  Thank you for all your wonderful posts - safe travels.   💕💕💕

Awesome! So glad to hear that.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, uktog said:

Hoping for an announcement later by the government that double jabbed in England will not need PCR tests on return to the UK. This should simplify the whole proce. 

Phil 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hoping for an announcement later by the government that double jabbed in England will not need PCR tests on return to the UK. This should simplify the whole proce. 

Phil 

So hope it changes- all we can say is we hope to have the trailblazer badge of honour for forms and testing!😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It’s lovely for all the hard working crew, three live cruises and one test cruise and zero positive covid cases. So pleased for them!  

The ship provides you with a hard copy of your results but if you registered pre check in on the site link sent with the embarkation papers you can see your results online much quicker which helped us complete Verifly so hopefully it will be very straightforward with BA from here on in. 

• Like 7

Verifly has worked! We have all our papers checked got the green ticks and our boarding passes are in our iPhone wallets - phew. Mind I’ve also printed paper copies of our accepted UK PLF our Greek PLF and of course the hardcopy of the test result the ship provided. Of course all this for uk guests will soon be a thing of the past but we have our badge of honour for mastering it 😀

Now this may or may not excite some guests. We believe this roll out had started pre pandemic but two changes in the shower/en-suite. 

A handy nightlight

(and not that the predecessor bothered us) 

A very different definitely non cling shower curtain of a weave fabric is with us.  

BA7D6314-0D9C-4385-800C-863FE81C3E88.jpeg

634ADE29-B7B0-4465-B39D-443B11AA2314.jpeg

504C3D8C-517A-4067-8FEC-9E57C47575A7.jpeg

• Like 6