Coming back to Quest - any questions you want answering (plus some things we have learned about travelling nowadays)

uktog

Tried to 'like' the post about Verify success and new shower curtains, but the website won't even try.  [Don't know whether to blame Azamara or our Portsmouth hotel's wonky wifi.]  We will be taking our UK day 2 tests tomorrow and putting them in the Royal Mail just as we leave for Mallorca on Sunday – another bureaucratic oversight that cost us a lot of money and won't tell the UK government anything since by the time the tests are processed we will be long gone.  Hopefully this is another hoop that is about to be made redundant.

• Like 1

We are embarking on the 10/9 sailing. 

A few quick questions:

• I noticed a mention of "sparkly" clothes rather than "white" for what was the "White Night" celebration. How "dressy" are people for that evening? What is the current recommendation for dress that evening? 
  • How many women are wearing dresses/skirts to dinner in specialty dining; main dining room?

Thank you!

Diana

• Like 1

--another big thank you to Uktog!!!!  We are scheduled for 10/13 on the Journey. How did you find out that there has been no covid activity on any of the start-up Azamara cruises? (My husband is still wavering because of the pandemic).

5 hours ago, SBSQCAZ said:

--another big thank you to Uktog!!!!  We are scheduled for 10/13 on the Journey. How did you find out that there has been no covid activity on any of the start-up Azamara cruises? (My husband is still wavering because of the pandemic).

The captain told guests at his welcome party 

8 hours ago, Cruizer Diana said:

We are embarking on the 10/9 sailing. 

A few quick questions:

• I noticed a mention of "sparkly" clothes rather than "white" for what was the "White Night" celebration. How "dressy" are people for that evening? What is the current recommendation for dress that evening? 
  • How many women are wearing dresses/skirts to dinner in specialty dining; main dining room?

Thank you!

Diana

It was called Bright Night and most people were in white or colourful gear as the code was wear something bright. There was a mixture from very casual to very smart. No one was really concerned about what others wore! 
In the restaurants it’s no different from the past, a mix of dresses, skirts and smart trousers and pretty tops 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, uktog said:

It was called Bright Night and most people were in white or colourful gear as the code was wear something bright. There was a mixture from very casual to very smart. No one was really concerned about what others wore! 
In the restaurants it’s no different from the past, a mix of dresses, skirts and smart trousers and pretty tops 

Thank you, utog.

Diana

• Like 1

A few more things come to mind. Firstly we ate in Prime C on our last night. The combined menu is extensive and in addition there were other daily specials. Huntingdon posted the main menu I’m posting the dessert menu plus a few pictures sorry I forgot to do others. DH had the crab and lobster cakes and as a lover of the previous crab cakes declared the new incarnation even better. 

He had the steak Diane which he said the sauce was amazing and the steak just melted in the mouth. I had the new sea bass with a seafood risotto and a lemon cream sauce. I will certainly have it again. 

Two new desserts were absolute hits. The key lime cheesecake and the amaretto chocolate mousse. 

So although a couple of favourites had gone (no donuts) I could not establish if this was due to a permanent change or a reduced menu because only on restaurant was open. 

152178FE-76F3-42FF-9EA0-1DA51FB7B6A1.jpeg

687E03D5-296D-401D-83C7-8A3EA045114D.jpeg

0F913E3F-99DB-4D12-8DF9-A6B93BA4D306.jpeg

0E2F4212-77EA-4AEA-8BBE-91188227F6A8.jpeg

6AD69C5F-B578-483F-AEFE-BFFD78CC05EC.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

The combined menu is extensive and in addition there were other daily specials. Huntingdon posted the main menu I’m posting the dessert menu plus a few pictures sorry I forgot to do others. DH had the crab and lobster cakes and as a lover of the previous crab cakes declared the new incarnation even better. 

He had the steak Diane which he said the sauce was amazing and the steak just melted in the mouth. I had the new sea bass with a seafood risotto and a lemon cream sauce. I will certainly have it again. 

Two new desserts were absolute hits. The key lime cheesecake and the amaretto chocolate mousse. 

My mouth is watering!!

• Like 2

All I heard was they were working on a lot of plans for the rest of the year, nothing concrete.   I got the impression because things are changing all the time, whilst they have plans, they finish the detail a month ahead. It must be worrying for those booked to be onboard but I’m sure as soon as they can communicate they will.  

Thanks for the nice comments. I’ve a couple more updates to do but I have an extended appointment with the washing machine this morning. 

Yes documentation was a challenge but onboard it was a bonding experience for the Brits onboard!  The Europeans, many onboard as you can see, seemed to have it easy. 

That said, most of us were flying BA and once you cracked Verifly which wasn’t hard if you did not try and do it too early it made travel so easy. We were less than 10 minutes from checkin at the special BA Verifly lounge through passport control and security to the BA lounge. 

Likewise no need to drag out papers at UK border control they swiped our passports said “ah Verifly thank you so much have a safe flight”. 

Verifly app really opens doors! 

E98FDC78-DABB-4FBD-8362-3AE03F91ADE6.jpeg

• Like 3

For people interested in Azamara Circle, some updates 

Firstly, there was no welcome letter or information letter in our room, though there was an invitation to the Happy Hour cocktail that was on offer in two bars the next day.  As I indicated before, this was an additional drink (it was a kind of passion fruit and ouzo mix, quite pleasant) but the bars (Den and Living Room) were open to all.  Officers did circulate in both at that time and canapés were offered to everyone in the venues for a short time. Seemed a very good Covid times solution.  

Personally I would have preferred the welcome communication- I appreciate your Internet benefit is added to your account, but it would have been helpful to have clarification of our laundry benefit and how to use it.  I suddenly remembered we had that perk late on Day 4 so quickly sent a bag out, marked the slip Azamara Circle Member and it did come back free of charge.  As they were not busy, it was also back much quicker. 

The Top Cruiser event invites were for Discoverer Plus and above only.  This was due to distancing considerations.  It was in the usual format and included a nice little performance a song by Geoffrey Jones, a lovely dance piece and a song by Amanda Paulson. (See pictures) 

It transpired we were beneficiaries of the new way of calculating who is “top” and were top cruisers.  The couple who were second do not like the new way, they had a few more cruises than us but a few less days.  As they were back to back, they will get their recognition this cruise!  

Mind not that it ever concerns us, the gift is non existent.  We were told things were in transit, however when they told us what they’d be sending on, we had to nicely say, sorry we have that already in fact we have it with us (the passport holders).  It transpires for some reason they are trying to use up gift stock, but as we have (and I suspect most who are regulars) have had recognition along the years we’ve all had all the gifts. I suggest they should recognise third or fourth or randomly draw someone at the event if they need to use up stock!  We were given an Azamara or memory stick containing photos from Greece - I think maybe to make the white box it comes in look good in the photos and a bottle we later shared (at a distance) with another couple. 

45% of the guests were repeaters by the way, quite a low number compared to the past. I think travel challenges that continue will mean cruisers will come from countries near the point of embarkation so might bring more onboard. Unfortunately I did not see evidence for our cruise of the 55% booking again onboard.

39C3BEF3-AA30-4817-8A87-F18BE2F170C0.jpeg

B548E31B-30D9-46A7-A7A7-BF3DCDE8ABE9.jpeg

5E8E3E01-88FF-4498-9002-6123912390E1.jpeg

08DD77C4-9735-4C71-963C-A7EFABA29998.jpeg

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

Update on laundry

The laundry room appeared to be operational 

The very discounted fill a bag has been replaced by the laundry package. (This is in addition to suite or loyalty perks) 

25629712-5FCD-46F2-ADD5-584CB66A705C.jpeg

Another thing just to add, not unique to just post covid.  I often see questions about what is the earliest time I can get off/catch a flight.  Captain Johannes explained to guests the final night that although he could arrive in Piraeus  very early in the morning and sometimes they do go in and tie up very early the Greek immigration authorities do not start until 0700 at the earliest any day and until they clear the ship there can be no walk offs.  We saw the fickleness of the authorities at boarding when they did not turn up for a snap passport check scheduled at 1400 until almost 1430.

So what I am saying is even if planning a self disembark work on the basis it is about 0800 you are off the ship and anything else is a bonus

• Like 2

To @Huntingdon1701 & @uktog, I say Cheers! Thank you for all of the great details and answering all of our most important questions (like which brand of tonic is available). For those of use who will be cruising soon, you have given us peace of mind that all will be well and we will have an incredibly remarkable and memorable journey! Thanks!

dded399ee4717e978eb63ab06b83fa9d.gif.98d1bc91cca8a5953acccf3e69a86ea3.gif

Quick question - masks. Is Azamara providing all passengers with a Azamara logo mask? I think I saw in someone's pictures guests wearing them?

Thanks again - looking forward to our cruise next month!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, LT Hambone said:

To @Huntingdon1701 & @uktog, I say Cheers! Thank you for all of the great details and answering all of our most important questions (like which brand of tonic is available). For those of use who will be cruising soon, you have given us peace of mind that all will be well and we will have an incredibly remarkable and memorable journey! Thanks!

dded399ee4717e978eb63ab06b83fa9d.gif.98d1bc91cca8a5953acccf3e69a86ea3.gif

Quick question - masks. Is Azamara providing all passengers with a Azamara logo mask? I think I saw in someone's pictures guests wearing them?

Thanks again - looking forward to our cruise next month!

What I would give to do it all again soon so may I be jealous of you and your upcoming trip

Yes Azamara is providing each guest with a cotton blue mask - DH wore it a lot, I did not I had my own colour coordinated supply - he said is was a good fit.  If you want a lighter weight disposable one, guest relations had some.  

Everyone was very good, never saw any non mask wearing - total compliance when people were walking around indoors.  I will clarify there is a new dance - remember the two steps left one step right leaving the lift dance.  Well now there is the four steps forward, four steps back = pick up mask from table, chair, sun lounger or the occasional twenty steps forward reverse spin twenty steps back very quick step when you leave your room without the mask......

Men and women tended to adopt the "mask bracelet" approach to keep them on track.....

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

@uktogEnjoyed your posts so much!  
Thanks for taking us all along!

I was wondering if you tried more of the take away boxes for lunch from the Living Room?  Was there also a breakfast box offered?  
If so, can you give more details?

it sounds like a good addition to all the food options onboard!

I had the lunch boxes one day. This day it was a falafel and hummus pitta, a mozzarella sandwich and a delicious corn and veg salad which we shared

We did not have the breakfast boxes as they generally had an egg product I do not tolerate. 

Other lunch boxes included pizza and quiches. 

We thought this was a really good option though few seemed to realise they were there. Perhaps if they were somewhere in Windows more would take them. 

92C75D1A-4FA7-4464-951E-6ACF21BD9AF1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I'm on the 10/9 sailing of the Quest. We are sailing B2B Rome-Trieste-Rome. I'm trying to determine how to complete the EU Passenger Locator Form for the cruise portion. I would think the basic requirement for Greece would be the same as Italy.

Do you know whether you would complete the locator form for each segment or the beginning of the cruise to the final port/disembarkation?

41 minutes ago, Cruizer Diana said:

I'm on the 10/9 sailing of the Quest. We are sailing B2B Rome-Trieste-Rome. I'm trying to determine how to complete the EU Passenger Locator Form for the cruise portion. I would think the basic requirement for Greece would be the same as Italy.

Do you know whether you would complete the locator form for each segment or the beginning of the cruise to the final port/disembarkation?

We went to Cyprus on the cruise and the ship did our locator form for there, we just had to sign a waiver.  

To be honest I would stop trying to do forms because:

a.  Apart from Greece who are happy to process them weeks in advance, most countries will only accept forms completed in the 48 hours prior to arrival

b.  For any forms needed within each cruise, the cruiseline will issue instructions on what you have to do, it may differ from what you expect (eg on our cruise returning to Athens, we were asked to put Malta as our original port due to the ship being registered there - did not ask why, just did as I was told, they’ve enough hassles without my questions and will have agreed this with the authorities and no one had any issues)

c. If you are b2b please wait until the meeting onboard for b2b guests, the documentation may be different for you

d.  Some countries it is very very difficult to start a second plf if what you have on your first one is incorrect (eg you cannot change some and if you need to make a change to put in what the ship asks, it’s a nightmare as some found trying to set up a second Greek form having got too far ahead of themselves)

So I would only do the form that gets you into your first country plus any transit countries en route to there if needed and then stop.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, uktog said:

We went to Cyprus on the cruise and the ship did our locator form for there, we just had to sign a waiver.  

To be honest I would stop trying to do forms because:

a.  Apart from Greece who are happy to process them weeks in advance, most countries will only accept forms completed in the 48 hours prior to travel

b.  For any forms needed within each cruise, the cruiseline will issue instructions on what you have to do, it may differ from what you expect (eg on our cruise returning to Athens, we were asked to put Malta as our original port due to the ship being registered there - did not ask why, just did as I was told, they’ve enough hassles without my questions and will have agreed this with the authorities and no one had any issues)

c. If you are b2b please wait until the meeting onboard for b2b guests, the documentation may be different for you

d.  Some countries it is very very difficult to start a second plf if what you have on your first one is incorrect (eg you cannot change some and if you need to make a change to put in what the ship asks, it’s a nightmare as some found trying to set up a second Greek form having got too far ahead of themselves)

So I would only do the form that gets you into your first country plus any transit countries en route to there if needed and then stop.  

OK. The reason I wanted to do them in advance is the quantity of ports and trying to do the form on a cell phone.  I will wait as you suggest.

Diana

PS: It would help immensely if Azamara posted some basic instructions. We are two weeks out and have received little to nothing from them.