What happens to luggage if you test positive at pier?

Cruslovncpl

This may have been asked before but I haven't seen it and keep wondering so I hope someone can answer this. In the past, we have always given our luggage to the porters then checked in at the terminal. Is this still the same procedure?  What happens if you turn in your luggage and then your Covid test is positive?  How would you retrieve your bags if you are denied boarding? 

The last time I asked a question, I was unable to thank those that replied. I tried over & over but couldn't get my 'thank you' messages to post. 😕 Just in case I have the same problem again, please know that I truly appreciate any and all replies!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! 😉

• Like 1

I don't believe we have had any first hand reports.  The consensus in these threads seems to be that NCL would find your luggage (either on the port or the ship), have guys in hazmat suits wrap in in plastic and either give it back to you or have it transported to your quarantine location.  I really hope that none of us has to be "that guy."

Hi Chief,

You made me laugh out loud! We are driving to the Port of Miami and would drive home if we were positive and had to quarantine but it's a 3 hour drive so I would hope to be able to take the luggage with us. But I can't imagine that they would be able to locate it that same day. Scary thought that we'd have to return to the port the following week to get our bags.😱

They know whose luggage belongs to whom. You might have to wait a bit in your car but they would certainly be able to get your luggage back the same day. Cruise lines may have a similar deal as airlines. If you check your bag for a flight and then miss the flight they will search to find your bag and take it off (think they figure a bag on a plane without a passenger is very suspicious).

On 9/9/2021 at 2:48 PM, Cruslovncpl said:

This may have been asked before but I haven't seen it and keep wondering so I hope someone can answer this. In the past, we have always given our luggage to the porters then checked in at the terminal. Is this still the same procedure?  What happens if you turn in your luggage and then your Covid test is positive?  How would you retrieve your bags if you are denied boarding? 

The last time I asked a question, I was unable to thank those that replied. I tried over & over but couldn't get my 'thank you' messages to post. 😕 Just in case I have the same problem again, please know that I truly appreciate any and all replies!

THANKS IN ADVANCE! 😉

Most likely, they will wait until your bags have been delivered to your room (3:00-4:00) and have them removed from the ship. There is no way to pull your bags once they have been dropped with a porter. 

Edited by BirdTravels

13 hours ago, nyc2pdx said:

I understood that you do the testing before handing over your luggage, just in case.  Once you pass the test, then you go to security and check in.

That makes sense, right?  But...We're familiar with the Port of Miami and the only way to do this, that I can think of, would be to park in the Short Term Parking area, go get tested at the terminal, once cleared to board, get your car, drop luggage with the porters, park in the Long Term area and then finally...go check in. I get tired just typing this😂 That's why I was hoping someone had personal experience to share.

10 hours ago, Sheshefran said:

I asked this question at the pier before I went in for testing.  The answer I got was "we will figure it out"  Less than helpful.  luckily in my case it did not need to be "figured out".  

Was this at the Port of Miami or a different port?

39 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Most likely, they will wait until your bags have been delivered to your room (3:00-4:00) and have them removed from the ship. There is no way to pull your bags once they have been dropped with a porter. 

I think you may be right. I'll report back if we find out 😱

On 9/9/2021 at 1:48 PM, Cruslovncpl said:

THANKS IN ADVANCE! 😉

I don’t know. That’s why I kept mine in my room at the Seattle Marriott until after I passed my test!! 

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not true from my personal experience a coupled years ago.  My husband was dropping off our car at an offsite parking lot in Miami and it appeared he was not going to make it back to the ship in time for sail away.  (This affected a number of guests as there was a strike or something and the shuttles were non-existent or way behind.)  I had NCL pull our luggage that we had dropped off hours before and I was standing with it just inside the terminal building by the check in desks when hubby miraculously appeared with another couple whom he had shared an Uber ride with from the parking area so my story had a happy ending and we had a great cruise in spite of the harrowing start!!! (NCL ended up holding off sail away for a couple more hours but did not now that when my luggage was pulled!

9 hours ago, lambs2 said:

Not true from my personal experience a coupled years ago.  My husband was dropping off our car at an offsite parking lot in Miami and it appeared he was not going to make it back to the ship in time for sail away.  (This affected a number of guests as there was a strike or something and the shuttles were non-existent or way behind.)  I had NCL pull our luggage that we had dropped off hours before and I was standing with it just inside the terminal building by the check in desks when hubby miraculously appeared with another couple whom he had shared an Uber ride with from the parking area so my story had a happy ending and we had a great cruise in spite of the harrowing start!!! (NCL ended up holding off sail away for a couple more hours but did not now that when my luggage was pulled!

That's really interesting. And good to know that it really is possible. We usually park at an offsite lot in Miami but will probably pay the higher price at the port this time due to the current situation. Thanks for sharing your story,