What cruise lines have you sailed in?

George C

On 9/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, rkacruiser said:

I will try regarding your MSC ship.  Is it MSC Monterey?  If so, she is now razor blades, etc.  

I'm not sure MSC had ship named "Monterey", but long ago, the only MSC cruise ship I'm aware of was the "Melody" which was the former Home Lines "Atlantic". Perhaps that's the ship you're thinking of.  We took a cruise on her in 1999 or 2000.  And yes...she has since been broken up.

Edited by marco
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, marco said:

I'm not sure MSC had ship named "Monterey", but long ago, the only MSC cruise ship I'm aware of was the "Melody" which was the former Home Lines "Atlantic". Perhaps that's the ship you're thinking of.  We took a cruise on her in 1999 or 2000.  And yes...she has since been broken up.

I sailed Atlantic around 1980 , then sailed Melody maybe 20 something years later,  had a really nice conversation with the captain of MSC Seaside and he was a officer early in his career on that ship , I asked him about a great piano player on that ship which he knew and he is still playing on MSC.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:29 PM, rkacruiser said:

Is my memory correct?  These two ships were owned by a company called First Festival Cruises?  If so, the logo on their funnels were of First Festival's?  

First Festival went bankrupt and MSC probably got these two ships at fire sale prices.  I remember seeing one of the two looking forlorn, docked at Civitivecchia, as the original Royal Princess passed her on the way to our dock.  That would have been the Spring of 2004, I recall.  

The Lirica and Opera were newbuilds from Chantieres Atlantique. The ships from Festival (First European) cruises were refurbished and entered MSC’s modern fleet as their third and fourth ships, the Armonia and Sinfonia.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Downdie said:

The ships from Festival (First European) cruises were refurbished and entered MSC’s modern fleet as their third and fourth ships, the Armonia and Sinfonia.

I appreciate your posting this information.  These ships have seen much water flow under their keels.  

On 9/19/2021 at 11:38 AM, marco said:

I'm not sure MSC had ship named "Monterey"

I Googled again and the ship that I see as the MSC Monterey is the same ship (with some exterior modifications to her stern) as the S. S. Monterey on which I sailed when she had been a Matson Lines newbuild and then went to Pacific Far East Cruise Lines when Matson got out of the cruise business.  It was when she was a PFEL vessel that I sailed on her.