Live feed from the Grand Princess 9/25 and 9/30 cruises

Cruise Raider

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! I’m sure you don’t know, but I wonder if the ship internet service is provided by a local service provider when in port rather than via satellite like when out at sea? But regardless, those speeds are definitely not too good. If I might ask, is your email service still able to send and receive messages? Obviously, you can post to CC.

It's still routed through SES Networks' satellites while in port. I can still email, but my work stuff runs reeeeallly slooowly. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:12 AM, LACruiser88 said:

That is really surprising.  We have cruised 52 times with Princess and we have received comp upgrades every 4 or 5 cruises.  Or at least we did pre-Covid.  Usually the upgrade was from a regular Balcony to a Deluxe Balcony or from a Deluxe Balcony to a Mini-Suite.  Hope your luck changes in the future!

Wow, you have been lucky with those free upgrades!  In our 32 cruises we have only been upgraded once, and what a surprise!  It was from a mini to a stern Penthouse Suite!  Heaven! We have been offered upsells on most cruises since they began…some we took, some not.  
Thank you, once again, for the fare drop notice on our December 29th cruise!

• Like 2

Update on today onboard the Grand Princess …

Not sure which of my posts made it on here and which ones failed due to the spotty internet … but to recap, we had a bit of a disappointing experience in Crown Grill yesterday and were invited back by the maitre’d tonight to make it right.  Well, they did just that!  We had an amazing dinner and stellar service there tonight!   Anyone can have a bad day and everyone deserves a second chance … so glad we went back!  Outstanding meal all the way around!  

After dinner, we went to Vines to enjoy a glass of port wine before heading to the Liar’s Club show by the cruise director and staff … by far, it was one of the funniest shows we’ve seen.  We were absolutely in stitches for tonight’s show.  Our Cruise Director, Gary is looking to be the new Matt O of Princess Cruises.  He is extremely funny, engaging, energetic and very talented.  
Just of note, the lounges and theater are asking people to sip and replace their masks.  

After that show, as I noted in the comment above, we saw Darren Dowler in the Princess Theater … this is a can’t miss show!  He is so incredibly talented and the “Variety Show’ description on JourneyView doesn’t do his show justice!  It was one of the best shows we’ve seen on any cruise.  

After the show, we had a nightcap at Crooners and listened to the Piano Player … also a very talented man but they’ve toned down the audience participation there so, it’s not as lively as it once was.  We understand that.  

The One5 Club is temporarily closed down for maintenance so the DJ will be moving his tunes to the Explorer’s Lounge tonight.  

We also found out they are having a Mexican Fiesta up in the buffet area after we set sail back to LA tomorrow, followed by  wine tasting  down in the Botecelli dining room tomorrow afternoon.  We were originally told that it was not going to happen due to CoVid but it looks to be back on.  
The Captain’s Circle Party is also late tomorrow afternoon in the Vista Lounge with a casual dress code. 

We inquired at the front desk about procedures for the ‘in transit’ or B2B passengers but the details have not been finalized yet.  We will post when we know more.  

Good night 💤 

more updates tomorrow on the happenings around the ship!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, KruzPrincess said:

Darren Dowler says he’s doing a couple shows with the band during this cruise.
Maybe he’s not listed as having his own show yet. I’m not sure. He just got off a Celebrity ship, but now has dates booked for the Grand and a couple other ships. I hope you catch him. 

Do you know if he will be on the Grand for the Oct 14 sailing? 

58 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We inquired at the front desk about procedures for the ‘in transit’ or B2B passengers but the details have not been finalized yet.  We will post when we know more.  

Every b2b'er is waiting for you to detail this procedure.  Hope Princess makes it easier for all of us.  

To Majestic passengers:  was there an actual tent/trailer providing Covid tests for disembarking passengers who needed them for flights home?  

LA cruise terminal really isn't set up (space) for something like this, especially if two ships are in port on the same day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Not sure where you got the 2000 number, there are just over 1000 passengers onboard.  Just add up the blue, ruby platinum etc numbers that are listed.

I have problems with posting replies 

l mistyped, should be one thousand instead of two

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Update on today onboard the Grand Princess …

Not sure which of my posts made it on here and which ones failed due to the spotty internet … but to recap, we had a bit of a disappointing experience in Crown Grill yesterday and were invited back by the maitre’d tonight to make it right.  Well, they did just that!  We had an amazing dinner and stellar service there tonight!   Anyone can have a bad day and everyone deserves a second chance … so glad we went back!  Outstanding meal all the way around!  

After dinner, we went to Vines to enjoy a glass of port wine before heading to the Liar’s Club show by the cruise director and staff … by far, it was one of the funniest shows we’ve seen.  We were absolutely in stitches for tonight’s show.  Our Cruise Director, Gary is looking to be the new Matt O of Princess Cruises.  He is extremely funny, engaging, energetic and very talented.  
Just of note, the lounges and theater are asking people to sip and replace their masks.  

After that show, as I noted in the comment above, we saw Darren Dowler in the Princess Theater … this is a can’t miss show!  He is so incredibly talented and the “Variety Show’ description on JourneyView doesn’t do his show justice!  It was one of the best shows we’ve seen on any cruise.  

After the show, we had a nightcap at Crooners and listened to the Piano Player … also a very talented man but they’ve toned down the audience participation there so, it’s not as lively as it once was.  We understand that.  

The One5 Club is temporarily closed down for maintenance so the DJ will be moving his tunes to the Explorer’s Lounge tonight.  

We also found out they are having a Mexican Fiesta up in the buffet area after we set sail back to LA tomorrow, followed by  wine tasting  down in the Botecelli dining room tomorrow afternoon.  We were originally told that it was not going to happen due to CoVid but it looks to be back on.  
The Captain’s Circle Party is also late tomorrow afternoon in the Vista Lounge with a casual dress code. 

Good night 💤 

more updates tomorrow on the happenings around the ship!  

Thank you for the update on the B2B passengers.  I wonder why they are not having masks in between sipping drinks at the bars.  Your ship is still in the YELLOW on the CDC website.  I know this is flu season and they are anticipating more covid cases and for them to peak, as they did last year.  Maybe that's the reason.  I can deal with the masks and even not being able to get off the ship, but the B2B procedure of being tested and having to be off the ship even though no symptoms, I don't know.  My DH just said yesterday, he has now been thinking about this too and having the constant thought we may have to leave the ship and not be able to finish.  If we were just doing one trip, that would not be a problem.  He even said it would be always in the back of his mind and he wouldn't be able to fully relax and enjoy.

How close are the tables for 2 in the dining room?  Are they still the same where they are right next to each other?  Also, are you able to meet with the Maitre' D to discuss table placement/size?  

Thanks.  We are glad you are having a wonderful time.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 12:33 AM, Steelers36 said:

And with pax in there smoking and no masks, I'd like to know what's the problem with walking around in open areas with no mask?  Some of the rules just don't make sense.

No mask needed outside unless you are crowded together, such as on a tender. Just common sense stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Every b2b'er is waiting for you to detail this procedure.  Hope Princess makes it easier for all of us.  

To Majestic passengers:  was there an actual tent/trailer providing Covid tests for disembarking passengers who needed them for flights home?  

LA cruise terminal really isn't set up (space) for something like this, especially if two ships are in port on the same day.

Yes, we are all so very fortunate that they are taking time out of their cruise to keep us informed.  💓

• Like 1

11 hours ago, donswife said:

Do you know if he will be on the Grand for the Oct 14 sailing? 

I am not sure but if I see Gary, the CD around the ship, I will ask him.  
look him up … he was the lead singer of Paul Revere and the Raiders … he did one of my favorite songs of all times, Cherokee People.  Then, he also sang with Bill Medley of the Righteous Brothers and snag our first dance song for our wedding.  He also sang some blues and hard rock, plays guitar, is quite funny and did some impressions.  Best show ever!  
I hope we see him again on our upcoming cruise as we are doing a B2B.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:25 PM, Cruise Raider said:

No, we did not.  I think they were going to give us a mini suite but they couldn’t tell us until tomorrow for sure since we are doing a B2B.  Plus, it was a mini on the Dolphin deck and we don’t care for those uncovered balconies.  We finally unpacked earlier today are so are now settled in.  

4 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Thank you for the update on the B2B passengers.  I wonder why they are not having masks in between sipping drinks at the bars.  Your ship is still in the YELLOW on the CDC website.  I know this is flu season and they are anticipating more covid cases and for them to peak, as they did last year.  Maybe that's the reason.  I can deal with the masks and even not being able to get off the ship, but the B2B procedure of being tested and having to be off the ship even though no symptoms, I don't know.  My DH just said yesterday, he has now been thinking about this too and having the constant thought we may have to leave the ship and not be able to finish.  If we were just doing one trip, that would not be a problem.  He even said it would be always in the back of his mind and he wouldn't be able to fully relax and enjoy.

How close are the tables for 2 in the dining room?  Are they still the same where they are right next to each other?  Also, are you able to meet with the Maitre' D to discuss table placement/size?  

Thanks.  We are glad you are having a wonderful time.

The dining room looks much the same as previously arranged, having been in the Grand several times in the past!  
The Maitre’d is very present so I’m sure he will do everything possible to seat you where you want, especially if you have reservations.  
The Michelangelo is closed to passengers as they are using that dining room for the crew.  (I love that!)  So, the dining rooms are pretty full considering a third of the space is now not available but, still no lines to be seated.  and we’ve never felt like we’ve been sitting right on top of one another.  
The masking rule for the lounges and bars is sip and cover …although I had not realized that until last night.  I happen to be sitting in Crooners with a Bloody Caesar (it’s delicious, BTW) and only a couple of people are masked.  But, the way the furniture is situated, people are definitely distanced from one another … it’s a little over half full.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Those onboard; do you just type in medallion.net to access wifi;  or do you go to wifi on smartphone and connect to medallion.net that way?  Thanks

Just type in logon and there will be a set of instructions to get you on … 

also, set your WiFi settings to MedallionNet.  To switch between devices, type in logout.com on the one you are switching from.  They have instructions in your room and a lot of staff to help you out onboard. 

17 minutes ago, SwimCarrie said:

How are the seas?

Smooth as silk … but when we were hauling butt down to Cabo, being in the very aft portion of the ship, we still felt it.  We’ve been anchored since yesterday afternoon.  They could stay here for a week as far as I am concerned.  I just love this!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

The dining room looks much the same as previously arranged, having been in the Grand several times in the past!  
The Maitre’d is very present so I’m sure he will do everything possible to seat you where you want, especially if you have reservations.  
The Michelangelo is closed to passengers as they are using that dining room for the crew.  (I love that!)  So, the dining rooms are pretty full considering a third of the space is now not available but, still no lines to be seated.  and we’ve never felt like we’ve been sitting right on top of one another.  
The masking rule for the lounges and bars is sip and cover …although I had not realized that until last night.  I happen to be sitting in Crooners with a Bloody Caesar (it’s delicious, BTW) and only a couple of people are masked.  But, the way the furniture is situated, people are definitely distanced from one another … it’s a little over half full.  

That is so great they are serving the crew!  We usually do traditional in the main dining room at late seating.  Hoping that won't be an issue.  

That drink you are having sounds amazing and different.  What day is turnaround for you?  Wishing you best of luck that all is good and you are healthy for the testing.  

Mary

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Smooth as silk … but when we were hauling butt down to Cabo, being in the very aft portion of the ship, we still felt it.  We’ve been anchored since yesterday afternoon.  They could stay here for a week as far as I am concerned.  I just love this!  

My husband would have loved the movement of the ship.  Seems most times it is very calm, only a few times it has been rocky, and he wishes for that all the time.  He is not normal!  He can carry a drink during the most roughest we have been on and not spill a drop.  Me on the other hand, I can't do it at all.  I told him it is hard to walk in heals and I have to use my flat sandals!  LOL.  

You are making me very anxious to go reading your detailed posts.  Love it.  Thanks for taking the time.  We appreciate it a lot.

• Like 1

This is the first I have heard about sip and cover in bars.  If so why isn't the same rule in place for restaurants ?  As far as I have heard once you are at your table no reason to mask

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The seas are very calm.  Cabo was as quiet as I have ever seen it.  Got our 2 bottles of tequilla, but no table set up to take booze, they let us keep it.

For the person who asked about social distancing, that does not seem to be a concern.  Tables are close together, but I am sure with the low volume, you can easily get a table for two.

• Like 1

Sometimes it gets rough on the way back to LA. I hope it stays smooth for you. Enjoy Cabo - it is a fun place! 

49 minutes ago, memoak said:

This is the first I have heard about sip and cover in bars.  If so why isn't the same rule in place for restaurants ?  As far as I have heard once you are at your table no reason to mask

I sure hope they do not enforce that in October. On our AOS cruise this summer masks were not required for pax and everything/one was fine (no COVID cases). I don't mind wearing a mask into the bar/restaurant but in-between sips? That's nuts (and not very sanitary IMO). 

• Like 4

Did anyone (on this cruise) receive communication from Princess regarding shows, entertainers, MUTS, Officers lists?  Princess "used" to send this email out weeks before.  Of course, I recently received an email that says...buy this and that for your next cruise.