What Type of Beer (Can, Bottle or Draught) do U Like On Board

BklynBoy8

Adding many topics to this board in the past I think I forgot about the world wide Beverage - Beer.....

When sailing on our favorite line Cunard, the Pub offers many beers.

I personally like Guinness, Boddington to name a few but their Draughts freshly poured are great too!

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:51 PM, rkacruiser said:

Heineken is my beer of choice afloat or ashore.  Draft Heineken even on a HAL vessel?  No more!  1970 and 1971, draft was available at a very inexpensive price.  

I agree…Heineken draft is just fine with me.  I’m amazed that HAL does not offer it although Amstel would also be nice.  MSC has made Heineken draft their official beer.  Of course their are numerous complaints by folks who want their own special brands.  What I cannot abide are those insipid American brands like Budweiser, Coors, etc.   

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I agree…Heineken draft is just fine with me.  I’m amazed that HAL does not offer it although Amstel would also be nice.  MSC has made Heineken draft their official beer.  Of course their are numerous complaints by folks who want their own special brands.  What I cannot abide are those insipid American brands like Budweiser, Coors, etc.   

Best I like is those locals. Bklyn Brewery. There others they offer in a Food Market called Whole Foods are local and the country private breweries. Really great their fresh smash hamburger. Especially with their Great Onion Rings

20190503_115506.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

a cold Pabst draft.

I have never drunk a Pabst.  

On 9/20/2021 at 5:08 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I’m amazed that HAL does not offer it although Amstel would also be nice.

There were some alterations to the mid-ship public rooms on some of the R Class vessels of HAL.  A venue called Mix was created.  A Sports Bar was a part of that and Amstel was on tap along with a few other brands.  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have never drunk a Pabst.  

There were some alterations to the mid-ship public rooms on some of the R Class vessels of HAL.  A venue called Mix was created.  A Sports Bar was a part of that and Amstel was on tap along with a few other brands.  

Hi RK

If you like a good lager beer you should try Pabst.  IMO it I a one of the best of the mass produced American beers.  I love all the lagers like Heineken. Amstel. Stella. Blue Moon. Etc. but I still enjoy a chilled Pabst. 

Glad to hear they have Amstel onboard HAL.

• Thanks 1

In case nobody has noticed, microbreweries have been sweeping much of the world...and for good cause.  I generally prefer a decent IPA but most cruise lines have a limited selection.  Celebrity carries (or at least used to carry) Dogfishhead 90 which is a very strong IPA that I really enjoy with lunch.  For something a bit lighter (but with lots of flavor) many cruise lines have Grolsch (often in a large bottle).  As to light beers......well I think this topic is about real beer....not that watered down stuff :).

By the way,  I am also a fan of Guinness Stout...but only like it on draught or in a can (which has the widget).  The bottles just seem to lack the flavor.

Had to smile at the Pabst (Blue Ribbon) post.  My father used to drink that stuff in the 50s.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Had to smile at the Pabst (Blue Ribbon) post.  My father used to drink that stuff in the 50s.

Pabst seems so "yesterday" to me.  The only "beer" that I have drunk since February, 2020 is an O'Doul's.  If I had not been in my "bubble" and on a HAL cruise, I would have drunk an Amstel or a Heineken  once in while.  My beverage preference remains a quality New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at this point in my life.  

Admittedly, the interest in the microbreweries and the various IPAs has been interesting to watch their development.  My community has a microbrewery that has developed a range of beers that are very popular.  From what I have read.  No interest on my part in trying them, however.  I like my wine.  I like an occasional CC/7.  An after dinner drink of Amaretto di Sarrono or a Green Creme de Menthe on ice once in awhile reaches my tummy.  I am going to drink what I like.  Not whatever the "trend" seems to be at the time.  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Pabst seems so "yesterday" to me.  The only "beer" that I have drunk since February, 2020 is an O'Doul's.  If I had not been in my "bubble" and on a HAL cruise, I would have drunk an Amstel or a Heineken  once in while.  My beverage preference remains a quality New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at this point in my life.  

Admittedly, the interest in the microbreweries and the various IPAs has been interesting to watch their development.  My community has a microbrewery that has developed a range of beers that are very popular.  From what I have read.  No interest on my part in trying them, however.  I like my wine.  I like an occasional CC/7.  An after dinner drink of Amaretto di Sarrono or a Green Creme de Menthe on ice once in awhile reaches my tummy.  I am going to drink what I like.  Not whatever the "trend" seems to be at the time.  

You get no argument from me.  A decent Sauvignon Blanc always has a place of honor in our home :).  And DW does enjoy Amaretto..  I am not into trends for trends sake, but do really enjoy IPA beers.  At this point of my life I like full flavored things and this carries through to booze.  in fact I guess light beers have long been a trend in the USA and I have never enjoyed that stuff.  In my mind light beers taste like somebody took a real beer and just added water.  But it is a matter of taste and what a boring food world it would be if we all had the same taste.

Hank

• Like 1

I agree that light beers are boring and mostly tasteless.  The exception to that would be Heineken Light or Sam Adams Light… surprisingly they are really good tasting light lagers.  

We have wall to wall microbreweries here in the Boston area.  Some are rally good but I keep going back to Stella, Blue Moon and John Adams Seasonal.  

Pabst has always gotten a bum rap from the exotic beer drinkers but I have always said that it tastes better than any of the mass produced American beers.  

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

At this point of my life I like full flavored things and this carries through to booze.  in fact I guess light beers have long been a trend in the USA and I have never enjoyed that stuff.  In my mind light beers taste like somebody took a real beer and just added water. 

I was a Michelob imbiber for a long time.  When Michelob Ultra appeared, I tried it.  UGH!  It did not warrant the "Michelob" name.  A-B's introduction of this inferior product encouraged me to look for another beverage that I really liked.  Thus, here I am.  A favorite of Villa Maria and other New Zealand wines of that type.  

I like Stella😀 and for those of you who have tried Yuengling? I really like that too. The Brewery is here in the states........PA.  No ships that I know of carry it.  I cannot get into dark beers or IPA's......that is just me. I know they are super popular but that is why it is nice to have so many choices🙂 Many are just too hoppy and bitter for my taste.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I like Stella😀 and for those of you who have tried Yuengling? I really like that too. The Brewery is here in the states........PA.  No ships that I know of carry it.  I cannot get into dark beers or IPA's......that is just me. I know they are super popular but that is why it is nice to have so many choices🙂 Many are just too hoppy and bitter for my taste.

I too like Stella during a meal along with Blue Moon is also great.

Guiness is also a great beer even though it's a stout.

We also like the local breweries in the NYC area that are micro's.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, Lois R said:

Yuengling? I really like that too. The Brewery is here in the states........PA. 

Very popular where I live.  I will have to try it.

On 9/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

Guiness is also a great beer

Just can't get over its color.  I have tasted it.  Maybe it's a combination of the color and what I tasted, I didn't care for it.  (I'd not be a very popular customer in a Dublin Pub, I am sure, asking for something different.)  

I find that Alaskan Amber is a beer that I do enjoy on occasion.  

On 9/25/2021 at 9:12 AM, Lois R said:

Stella Artois is one of the best lagers out there…even better on draft!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Very popular where I live.  I will have to try it.

Just can't get over its color.  I have tasted it.  Maybe it's a combination of the color and what I tasted, I didn't care for it.  (I'd not be a very popular customer in a Dublin Pub, I am sure, asking for something different.)  

I find that Alaskan Amber is a beer that I do enjoy on occasion.  

Yuengling…no thanks.  Guinness I can do one once in a while…too heavy.  Some of the lagers from Belgium are outstanding.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Stella Artois is one of the best lagers out there…even better on draft!

We have a few places nearby that have it on Draft.    I am on Countdown mode.......flying out for my next cruise on Wednesday afternoon😃

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

We have a few places nearby that have it on Draft.    I am on Countdown mode.......flying out for my next cruise on Wednesday afternoon😃

Lois…I am very happy for you.  Have you ever counted the number of cruises you have been on?  Where are you going and what ship?  Good luck and Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Lois…I am very happy for you.  Have you ever counted the number of cruises you have been on?  Where are you going and what ship?  Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Hi, I counted a long time ago but not recently.....I am sure I am near the 60/70 or so mark.  What ship?

Silversea SPIRIT. Going to Lisbon for 12 nights......will be gone for 14 though.......pre cruise 1 night and 1 night extra. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I counted a long time ago but not recently.....I am sure I am near the 60/70 or so mark.  What ship?

Silversea SPIRIT. Going to Lisbon for 12 nights......will be gone for 14 though.......pre cruise 1 night and 1 night extra. 

You are going to be “living large” Lois.  Life doesn’t get much better than Silversea.  Have a blast and keep us poor mass market types posted…lol.  All the best to you!

CGT

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

You are going to be “living large” Lois.  Life doesn’t get much better than Silversea.  Have a blast and keep us poor mass market types posted…lol.  All the best to you!

CGT

Good morning CGT😃 I know you are just kidding with me......I was a Mass Market cruiser for years and years........had some life changes in 2016.....some good and some not but am able to sail with SS now (and no, I didn't win the lottery LOL).  But I am still the same ole me😃

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

But I am still the same ole me😃

Those are the best eight words that I have read in some time!

Our life circumstances change.  Maybe because we didn't have any reason to expect them to do so.  Look at my signature.  When I graduated high school, indeed after earning my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, would I expect at this point in my life to have experienced so many cruises (and other travel adventures)?   

Lois, like you, "I am still the same ole me."  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning CGT😃 I know you are just kidding with me......I was a Mass Market cruiser for years and years........had some life changes in 2016.....some good and some not but am able to sail with SS now (and no, I didn't win the lottery LOL).  But I am still the same ole me😃

You know I’m always trying to lighten the atmosphere…lol.  So glad to hear you are able to sail on Silversea.  Now if I could just get a few of those life changes…😂

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Those are the best eight words that I have read in some time!

Our life circumstances change.  Maybe because we didn't have any reason to expect them to do so.  Look at my signature.  When I graduated high school, indeed after earning my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, would I expect at this point in my life to have experienced so many cruises (and other travel adventures)?   

Lois, like you, "I am still the same ole me."  

It’s funny how we still get that old feeling of excitement and anticipation no matter how many times we get ready to set sail.  In 2007 I met a man named Jack.  He was from Montreal and was on his 128th cruise when I met him.  The one thing that he told me has remained with me all these years.  He told me…”It never gets old”.  That was and is great news for those of us who love to cruise.

• Like 3