Silver Moon Extra Charge Dining

toseaornottosea

24 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

Someone please clarify the dining venues on Silver Moon that require reservations and are an extra cost.  Thanks

That info is on the silversea.com website. 

Easy to find. https://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-moon.html

Look under Dining .  The three open seating restaurants (no charge and no reservation required) are:

SPACCANAPOLI

S.A.L.T. KITCHEN

ATLANTIDE

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I find the $60 upcharge to be poor form.  Appears to be some legacy policy that should go away with the new "All Inclusive" (excursions) approach.

👍Totally agree ... SS should be above "nickel-and-diming" like the mass market ships. 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, bigmjh said:

👍Totally agree ... SS should be above "nickel-and-diming" like the mass market ships. 

Do to the limited number of seats a night may be the reason for the up charge, and trying to make it a special dinner for those that want something special.  I’ve seen this done on other lines.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Do to the limited number of seats a night may be the reason for the up charge, and trying to make it a special dinner for those that want something special.  I’ve seen this done on other lines.

Limiting the number of reservations per stateroom ... as done on other lines ... could accomplish the same thing without the up-charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigmjh said:

Limiting the number of reservations per stateroom ... as done on other lines ... could accomplish the same thing without the up-charge.

Well that leaves making it very special, I’ve been on other lines that do that for a cost.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:03 PM, ronrick1943 said:

Well that leaves making it very special, I’ve been on other lines that do that for a cost.

Not Crystal, Regent or Seabourn ….one visit usually allowed free. Special wine paired meals are available at extra cost on Crystal but they are not in the Restaurants. Regent used to have some costly but wonderful wine tastings on board their ships. 

The service at the La Dame was excellent if a little over the top with the now totally out  of fashion Un, Deux , trois  plate reveal. The wine list was very good.

The food was beautifully plated but execution was hit or miss. 
The plating at the Thomas Keller restaurant on Seabourn is nice but not fabulous but the food is just fabulous. Both plating and food are fabulous at umi uma ( Nobu) and Prego on Crystal. We tend to prefer understated and not fawning service. 
My last Regent cruise was cancelled but hope to enjoy the explorer at Christmas. 

Had a very mixed experience on Moon …some things great some things awful.

moved to Regent for Christmas but have kept a TA booking on Silversea. Will give them another shot at wowing us.

Edited by Emdee

4 hours ago, Emdee said:

Not Crystal, Regent or Seabourn ….one visit usually allowed free. Special wine paired meals are available at extra cost on Crystal but they are not in the Restaurants. Regent used to have some costly but wonderful wine tastings on board their ships. 

The service at the La Dame was excellent if a little over the top with the now totally out  of fashion Un, Deux , trois  plate reveal. The wine list was very good.

The food was beautifully plated but execution was hit or miss. 
The plating at the Thomas Keller restaurant on Seabourn is nice but not fabulous but the food is just fabulous. Both plating and food are fabulous at umi uma ( Nobu) and Prego on Crystal. We tend to prefer understated and not fawning service. 
My last Regent cruise was cancelled but hope to enjoy the explorer at Christmas. 

Had a very mixed experience on Moon …some things great some things awful.

moved to Regent for Christmas but have kept a TA booking on Silversea. Will give them another shot at wowing us.

I know Regent let’s everyone eat at each restaurant once during a cruise—-however if your in a Owner Suite you can tell your Butler which restaurant you want to dine in (as many times as you want).

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Just curious, who do you sail that doesn’t nickel and dime you?

There is no nickle and diming on my private yacht.  None of the indignity of charges for such things as

• Internet or premium internet
  • Frequent and long ship to shore phone calls
  • Spa treatments
  • Premium spirits and wines
  • Fine cigars
  • Excursions (including advertised but surcharged excursions beyond the limited list offered at no extra charge by some lines)
  • Items from duty free
  • Hairdressing/manicures

I have never looked back since buying and staffing my luxury yacht after determining that I could no longer tolerate the nickle and diming of luxury lines.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Observer said:

There is no nickle and diming on my private yacht.  None of the indignity of charges for such things as

• Spa treatments
  • Fine cigars
  • Excursions (including advertised but surcharged excursions beyond the limited list offered at no extra charge by some lines)
  • Items from duty free
  • Hairdressing/manicures

I have never looked back since buying and staffing my luxury yacht after determining that I could no longer tolerate the nickle and diming of luxury lines.  

Thanks for the invite let me know so we can go together on the rented Crystal plane.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I know Regent let’s everyone eat at each restaurant once during a cruise—-however if your in a Owner Suite you can tell your Butler which restaurant you want to dine in (as many times as you want).

I am definitely not in the owners suite just the F1.

7 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Emcee what was awful on Moon?

SS includes you passport number along with your name on the key card. This is crazy because your identity can be lost  if you lose your card ashore. 
The lobster was hard as a rock the shrimp cocktail was made with size 40 shrimp. 
There was an inconsistency in service with staff making it up as they went along and when they had no excuse they would blame Corporate. 
The Hotel Director’s excuse was that the staff was rusty.

Staff were poorly trained ..the waitress for example had two fingers in my salad bowl and didn’t know why I dropped the lettuce she touched into her hand.

Just since you asked…

On the other hand the service in some of the restaurants like the Arts Cafe was wonderful.

Also the Salt bar and restaurant. The Salt test kitchen is a lovely concept if the Chef didn’t look so bored and if the ingredients given were what were required. The lamb Kleftiko should have had plenty of rosemary and lemon but one eighth piece of lemon does not a Lamb Kleftiko make. In short they felt we wouldn’t know anything so why bother being authentic.

It is really sad because they have quality ingredients and a good hard product but the soft product is severely wanting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This will be my first Silversea cruise coming up, we mostly cruise Regent and Oceania.  A shrimp cocktail isn’t a shrimp cocktail with an size 40–should be no more than a 15, 20 at most.  Lobster should née soft and moist.  Whoever is doing the S.A.L.T. Class should know better and should have been told on the spot, “why so little lemon”.  I would have send the salad back, hands in food is a no for me.  Putting your passport number on your key card shouldn’t be…….If all is true (and no reason to think it isn’t), Silversea should be reading this and make corrections.  Crew should be able to handle the ship with less people cruising right now.  Covid should be an excuse for service.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Observer said:

• Spa treatments
  • Fine cigars
  • Items from duty free
  • Hairdressing/manicures

You have dancing girls?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

What pray tell is an F1 when it’s at home?

Well if your home is on the Explorer that would be the case.

Crystal has a number of permanent residents…Regent used to in the past. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

This will be my first Silversea cruise coming up, we mostly cruise Regent and Oceania.  A shrimp cocktail isn’t a shrimp cocktail with an size 40–should be no more than a 15, 20 at most.  Lobster should née soft and moist.  Whoever is doing the S.A.L.T. Class should know better and should have been told on the spot, “why so little lemon”.  I would have send the salad back, hands in food is a no for me.  Putting your passport number on your key card shouldn’t be…….If all is true (and no reason to think it isn’t), Silversea should be reading this and make corrections.  Crew should be able to handle the ship with less people cruising right now.  Covid should be an excuse for service.

I brought most of these items up in a meeting with the Hotel Director , the Food and Beverage manager and the Guest Relations Manager on the Moon and some to Barbara Muckerman. My feeling is that some of the staff are not receiving adequate training, they are steeped in old Silversea attitudes. The number of repeat passengers is high but that will be so on every line as many of us have significant funds tied up on Regent and Crystal. We however brought new money and perspectives drawn by their excellent Covid policy.

I understand from Silversea staff that RCCL “ is throwing money at Silversea” .

I commented to the Hotel Director that they were on the verge of bankruptcy until RCCL bailed them out and that RCCL didn’t buy them to be in 5 sixth or 7 th place. They were just being given a very long noose.

I have a ton of respect for the RCCL product. In their space they do an excellent job. Our first 30 or so cruises were on RCCL when my daughter was little. She learnt from them that the children of today are the cruisers of tomorrow. The last 20 years we have been cruising luxury lines and some premium and an occasional big ship trip on rccl which I greatly enjoyed as well. 

We never considered Silversea for years….stayed with the Regent, Crystal, Paul Gauguins of this world. One reason we didn’t was because of reports of cut backs in quality and the CDC complaint of meat being stored in crew members cabins during an inspection. But with the RCCL takeover booked not one but three cruises. Now canceled one but staying on the Moon to give it another shot. 

There are some fabulous staff who will be dragged down by the inconsistency in quality of cooking and service and that is sad. 

For all this we did have a lovely holiday…Our excursions were nice and my desire to visit the monastery at Patmos was fulfilled. I know it is a first world problem but after being locked inside for 16 months ….our last was Seabourn in Feb 2020….it was wonderful to sit on the balcony and enjoy the sea air. 

Good morning, sorry you had so many issues. Sounds like we sailed 2 different ships. I sailed her back in July and found it to be a fabulous cruise🙂.  When did you sail? I found the staff and crew wonderful and nothing on my cruise was what I would consider awful.

• Like 2