msc Seashore Transatlantic 31 October 2021 GENOA - MIAMI

RICHARD@SEA

6 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Has anyone heard that the 10/31/21 Transatlantic sailing on SEASGHORE has been cancelled or is to sail without passengers Genoa - Miami?

I have a booking on it and have not yet received any cancellation notice.  I know from other posts that some non-US travelers have been canceled already.  Just waiting to see what happens.

45 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

With US restrictions not being lifted at the time of sailing there probably aren’t enough eligible travellers booked for it to be worth their while having passengers onboard.  

Sadly that's very well the truth...

Hope the 2022 season to be far better than this one... But the boat is shaking hard from one side to the other... The dream cannot stop!... Never again!...

Have a nice day!...

• Like 1

Im sorry to read this - on a travel site I use the sailing is listed as " sold out".  the day before there was  plenty of cabin availability across all categories.... I was hoping to return from Italy via this sailing...

altho my trip to italy is also in doubt.....

The USA just in the past day or so has lifted the travel restrictions for Europeans who are fully vaccinated with an approved shot. I think Astra Zeneca is not on the list but Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J are. Hopefiully that will mean most Europeans booking this cruise will now be able to go and it won't be cancelled. On a FB group I am on MSC has been giving conflicting answers to inquiries. Some have been told it is cancelled and others that it was only cancelled for European customers not American citizens. I am anxious to find out what the correct answer is since I am booked on it and have been looking forward to it.

52 minutes ago, notladjr said:

The USA just in the past day or so has lifted the travel restrictions for Europeans who are fully vaccinated with an approved shot.

Since the details have not yet been published, I think it is too early to say what impact it might have on the transatlantic cruise.

First, it is supposed to take effect "early Nov" but we do not know exact date.  What if the proposed effective date is after the date the ship is supposed to first enter US waters at San Juan?  It might be cutting it just too close for MSC to feel comfortable.

Second, it has been announced as "air travel" will be allowed entry to US with vax and testing.  It has also been said that this will not impact the land border rules (Canada and Mexico).  Since US seems to differentiate between air, land and sea and seems to set up different rules for each, who knows what it might be for cruises.  Given the CDC history of being hard on the cruising industry, they could put a wrench in the plan as well.

I see some on line travel agencies are still soliciting booking on the transatlantic from ports other than Genoa while others are saying it is "sold out".  Not sure how to interpret that.  I am just waiting to see ...

I tried a dummy booking, and the Barcelona variant sailing 2nd November at 16 nights remains bookable. There is only 1 cabin available, and it's a Grand Deluxe Suite in Yacht Club. 

With regards to Genoa, if it is November that triggers whether or not to sail, perhaps they would delay it for a day and sail 1st November then make up the lost day somewhere along the way? The other thing I notice is that it is scheduled to land Miami Thursday 18th November, but the first Caribbean sailing is Saturday 20th November, so that alone provides a degree of flexibility.....although that 2 days is probably to enable new crew to board, and for the CDC to inspect the ship etc.

The cruise fell off the MSCUSA site this past weekend, iirc. Although we are aware of the various reports, most of us seem to be holding on. It's been published that MSC has big plans for a Seashore welcoming over the 'gap' days although I don't know how official the reports are.

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

so that alone provides a degree of flexibility

Oh, and forgot to mention that US Congress is currently playing a game of "chicken" over the federal budget and debt ceiling with many federal contractors preparing for a gov't shutdown in October.  If it shuts down for even a short time, or if federal employees are furloughed for even a short period of time, I suspect the "early Nov" date would get pushed (no employees to promulgate the new fed regs).

My fingers are crossed for the UK/EU folks, but if I were MSC, I would probably be very reluctant to act on the announcements without actual regs being published.

33 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

Within EU MSC news they announced, all transatlantic to the us are cancelled

I think that needs to be clarified as the Seashore will be making the trek to the US most likely without passengers.   So MSC ships will be doing a transatlantic just without passengers most likely. 

36 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

The cruise is cancelled.

What you mean is a ship movement, or relocation....

The Seashore is going to be doing Caribbean sailings in the US, but it is currently in Europe. So he means MSC will sail the ship from Europe to the US, but only with a crew - no passengers.

So it "appears" to passengers that the cruise is cancelled.

14 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

Just curious - any US based psg get a cancellation notice yet?  I have not.

If you have purchased it as a US citizen or while you were in the US (or used a local credit card), you should have already recieved a notification unless something else has happend or was changed 

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If you have purchased it as a US citizen or while you were in the US (or used a local credit card), you should have already recieved a notification unless something else has happend or was changed

Interesting.  I know MSC has my correct e-mail since they have sent me upgrade offers and also have sent me a reminder of the boarding requirements recently (and it still shows counting down when I log into the MSC site - "39 days").

Guess I will have to contact the travel agent and see what they know (or don't know), since I have not heard from them either...

Well, as respects the transatlantic from Genoa to Miami on Oct 31, this is the response I got from my travel agent (one of the very large web-based companies) for what it is worth:

"It does not have any details or cancellation notices as of now. I just called MSC and they said if It is cancelled a notice will go out to you with options."

Posted on Facebook in MSC Seashore 31 Oct 2021 TA Saturday afternoon (just another layer adding to the confusion)

Isaac Patrick Duling

... I called yesterday I'm also on the transatlantic coming from the US when I called they said that the said that the trip was still happening and that the NAR meant no account refund ... they had to do some research to figure it out but that's what they came up with no account refund meaning at this point I guess you can't get a refund sorry ....

Edited by Rhea98