If you had to choose: Cruise Tour Baltic or Greek Isles

MudderBear

5 minutes ago, nini said:

Thank you! That is one of the companies on my list. I really want to visit St. Petersburg.

Also if you start in Copenhagen look at The Admiral hotel, great location - we emailed them directly and got a nice discount.

Edited by Tedferg

On 10/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Tedferg said:

Also if you start in Copenhagen look at The Admiral hotel, great location - we emailed them directly and got a nice discount.

LOL! That is one of the two we are considering.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, wowzz said:

It is interesting to read the responses from the Americans on this thread. All this talk about being off the ship  for 11 hours, and being port intensive. 

It is all a very "tick the box " type of experience. 

Why not just go ashore in somewhere like Cadiz or Lisbon or Barcelona,  and just stroll  around, sit in a bar, and soak up the atmosphere. You do not need to cram in every sight to have a good holiday.  

I think your perceptions and observations are pretty spot on.

We are Americans and have usually gone to Europe for at least 6 weeks or longer the last 25 years.  My family is from Norway so after or before we see them we bounce around Europe and have been to the Med and Baltic numerous times.  I like both areas so it would be hard to choose.  Probably lean more towards the Med just solely based on the weather but both areas are great for cruising yet so different.

We have pretty much been around the world on Princess cruises and we prefer to stay in countries for an extended period of time before or after a cruise.   We enjoy many aspects of cruising but not all.

We have noticed that for many Americans the ship is the destination and they often do not really care where it is going.  Cruising is also for some about consuming food and also places.  It seems quite a few cruisers we have met are uncomfortable in other cultures and enjoy cruising because it is like they are in a cultural bubble and really do not have to totally immerse themselves in other cultures to enjoy an understanding of how others live.

5 hours ago, Esprit said:

After two Baltic cruises we're done with that region but Stockholm and the archipelago will be missed.

Cruising in the Eastern Mediterranean is our favourite and never tire of it. 

We are of the same opinion, having completed 2 Baltic cruises.  We cruise the Med at least every other year and really enjoy the TA's back to Ft Lauderdale.  Our next Med/TA cruise is booked for Oct '22 on the Regal for 37 days.

On 9/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, wowzz said:

It is interesting to read the responses from the Americans on this thread. All this talk about being off the ship  for 11 hours, and being port intensive. 

It is all a very "tick the box " type of experience. 

Why not just go ashore in somewhere like Cadiz or Lisbon or Barcelona,  and just stroll  around, sit in a bar, and soak up the atmosphere. You do not need to cram in every sight to have a good holiday.  

You do you. 

It's pretty easy to take this stance when a London to Barcelona/Lisbon flight is a 2-3hr flight in the same time zone.

It's a little bit further for us Americans (especially those that reside on the West Coast). 

How many times have you been to the West Coast of the U.S.? 

If so, did you spent the majority of your time sitting in a bar, soaking up the atmosphere?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skai said:

You do you. 

It's pretty easy to take this stance when a London to Barcelona/Lisbon flight is a 2-3hr flight in the same time zone.

It's a little bit further for us Americans (especially those that reside on the West Coast). 

How many times have you been to the West Coast of the U.S.? 

If so, did you spent the majority of your time sitting in a bar, soaking up the atmosphere?

Exactly…. I only go to the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty when I have out of state guests. Even a west coast trip is a relaxed time of beach, bar, restaurant, visit friends type of vacation rather than sightseeing.

In Europe, unless I’m in Greece which we visit often as my parents were born there,  I try to do some “traveler” type things and some “locals” type things.

As for “ticking boxes”….there are some places and landmarks that are referenced in books and other popular culture so often that I’d like to have my own perception in real life of what it’s like to be there.  If wanting to see those places, in addition to the “off the beaten path” or local interest sites, makes me a typical American then so be it. I just find it bizarre on an international site for people who share a common love of cruising to disparage a group of people for how they are perceived to see the world. You do you indeed.  

• Like 1