Bari substituted for Kotor

lorimay

We will be on the Marina leaving Rome on November 2.  I got an email today from Oceania that because of COVID restrictions they are substituting Bari for Kotor on our itinerary. Not a big issue for us but I just wonder how many more changes we might have. 

I was reading on the 18 October Riviera rollcall with an Istanbul embarkation port, that on Tuesday embarkation had been changed to Athens. This has a significant impact on pax. All passengers must now arrive to Athens instead of the previously planned Istanbul.

Anyone choosing to cruise in this environment must exhibit flexibility and adaptability!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think with the current Covid situation

many changes may happen   this year & probably early 2022

Hopefully the World will be covid free  sooner than later  but until then  expect the unexpected  where port stops are concerned 

JMO

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

That would be a major disappointment for me as Kotor is one of the main reasons I was considering a similar cruise next year. Hopefully, Bari will turn out to be acceptable. 

And Oceania posted on their website 2 days ago that for now, no independent tours in Italy - only ship excursions....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mexicobob said:

That would be a major disappointment for me as Kotor is one of the main reasons I was considering a similar cruise next year. Hopefully, Bari will turn out to be acceptable. 

Though O doesn't have Bari tours posted yet, you can get an idea of what may be offered by visiting this page on a Marina cruise next year. There is also a nice Youtube walking tour here, which I'm pretty sure is covered in one of the tours on offer above.  It sure would be neat to see the "Bari ladies" make orichette by hand on tables outside their home as in the video, but as it will be November I'm not sure that will still happen.

1 hour ago, nikless said:

And Oceania posted on their website 2 days ago that for now, no independent tours in Italy - only ship excursions....

I can't find that wording on the Oceania website. I'm not saying it's not there - I just don't see it. Can you tell me where it might be? I have a private tour from Salerno that I might need to cancel. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, lorimay said:

I can't find that wording on the Oceania website. I'm not saying it's not there - I just don't see it. Can you tell me where it might be? I have a private tour from Salerno that I might need to cancel. Thanks!

Under Travel and Entry requirements at top of website page

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2021-09/Travel-and-Entry-Requirements-28-September-Update.pdf

Edited by nikless
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, nikless said:

Thanks for the link. Very helpful. I may gamble and hold off canceling the private tour for a couple of weeks. It was a private tour of Pompeii and something that's on my bucket list. 

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Wishful thinking. Maybe the world will learn how to control and live with it but with new variants continually mutating, it’s hard to imagine a Covid-free world.

Yes  wishful thinking 

I do hope  we do not have to be under restrictions for the next few years 😷

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nikless said:

Nikless -

Thanks very much for this link.  It appears it's time for us to revise our calendar and to start requesting refunds for various tours, etc.  I spent most of my professional life traveling to remote areas or to places with rapidly-changing situations, but rarely have I felt as frustrated as I do under the Covid regimens.  Nevertheless, I applaud governments for their willingness to sacrifice economic recovery & boons for the safety of their populations.  (I just wish they'd make this sacrifice starting with the cruise after mine. 😟)

• Thanks 1

Be flexible.  When you book a cruise, the cruise is the major destination. Ports may be important. However, due to many things, ports can and do change.  I have had it happen many times.  The worst is when they just skip ports.  Relax.  Especially now, going on a cruise will likely have changes.  Be happy just being on the cruise.  If a port is the main reason that you booked your trip, fly in and stay.  That way, you are more likely to get to that place.  With all the changing rules for entry into ports during the pandemic, expect changes. Stuff happens.  Bari is nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Be flexible.  When you book a cruise, the cruise is the major destination. Ports may be important. However, due to many things, ports can and do change.  I have had it happen many times.  The worst is when they just skip ports.  Relax.  Especially now, going on a cruise will likely have changes.  Be happy just being on the cruise.  If a port is the main reason that you booked your trip, fly in and stay.  That way, you are more likely to get to that place.  With all the changing rules for entry into ports during the pandemic, expect changes. Stuff happens.  Bari is nice.

Although I do agree with your general view that one must be flexible and to expect changes, I think that your opinion that the cruise is all about the cruise is, just that, a matter of opinion

We love our time on Oceania - the whole experience - but we see it as a wonderful way to travel from exciting port to exciting port. We are usually the first off the ship and, many times, the last one back on. Don't get me wrong, we also love relaxing on a sea day and taking advantage of all the ship has to offer. But we do book our cruises based first and foremost on the ports. The way we get there is just a much anticipated, added and, to us, very special bonus.

Having said that, we are on Riviera's first cruise back on October 18 - you know, the Istanbul to Venice leg that is now neither going to Istanbul nor Venice - and we have rolled with every change that has come our way. I am devastated that a return to our favorite city Istanbul and Turkey are no longer in the mix, as we had wonderful pre-cruise and post-cruise plans there. Missing a return to Kotor makes me sad as well. But over the several days we have quickly and enthusiastically pivoted and made plans for an equally enjoyable trip in the new locales. So open to change and flexible. 

However, for us we are still primarily focused on the new ports while feeling very fortunate for the style and method by which we will visit them. Everyone has a different focus and, especially when daily changes at the last minute may make it more difficult for some of us to just relax, that is ok.

I wish everyone happy cruising and traveling when the stars align and it feels right for you. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

When you book a cruise, the cruise is the major destination.

Not for everyone. We're port-driven. Our next cruise is 9/22 and I have til June to cancel. If a lot of changes are still happening I'd likely cancel. If we were to cruise out of Istanbul and it changed to Athens that would be a deal breaker (if we could get our money back).

6 hours ago, clairol said:

We love our time on Oceania - the whole experience - but we see it as a wonderful way to travel from exciting port to exciting port. We are usually the first off the ship and, many times, the last one back on. Don't get me wrong, we also love relaxing on a sea day and taking advantage of all the ship has to offer. But we do book our cruises based first and foremost on the ports. The way we get there is just a much anticipated, added and, to us, very special bonus.

Perfectly written.

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Kotor is lovely, however, one of my bucket list items is a visit to the Trulli huts which can be accomplished from Bari.  One would hope O could arrange a tour there. 

The O shorex for Bari is now available to purchase in my account.  For sure, there is a trip listed to see the Trulli.  But what I am gravitating to is a listed trip to Matera.  Never heard of this town before today, but after reading a Harper's Bazaar article about the history and it's amazing revival I am more than just intrigued.  They believe that Matera is the third oldest city in history, after Aleppo and Jericho. While I'm sorry we (once again) won't get to visit Perast in Montenegro, this would more than make up for it.

I normally say we are itin-driven.  And that is true to a point.  We cancelled our Regent cruise from Athens to Istanbul this month because we were pretty sure it wouldn't happen, and Istanbul and the post-cruise was crucial. 

But.... this O cruise from Rome to Miami is floating around the Med.  Whatever the changes to the itin, we will STILL be floating around the Med which is just ducky with us.  There is always something we haven't seen or done when we cruise there....even if it's O shorex.  Eventually Marina will sail down to Miami and we will  be on her.

• Like 3

Welcome to the new normal.  COVID is very likely here to stay (think of the flu which never disappears) there will most likely be times of surges and times of relative quiet.  Many of us have already learned how to live with disease just like we live with many other diseases.  But what is different is that governments and politicians have not learned how to live with this disease and are constantly changing the rules/restrictions...sometimes with little or no notice.  Since most folks book cruises months or even years in advance I think cruisers need to accept that itineraries are going to be constantly adjusted to deal with various governments.  

DW and I take some cruises for the ship (and because we just love to cruise) and for this kind of voyage we really do not care if our itinerary is changed.  We have an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Seabourn and look forward to getting on the lovely Odyssey and figure we will go wherever the Captain takes us :).  But if we were booking a more exotic cruise where the itinerary was important (to us) then that creates a big problem.   We just had a HAL cruise (Japan) cancelled for next spring and are considering some options.  We might book a transatlantic repo cruise to get to Europe, disembark, and lease a car for at least a month.  With a car we have maximum flexibility to go where we want based on circumstances on the ground (i.e. COVID rules, weather, etc).   I think the travel environment for the next few years favors the independent somewhat adventurous traveler who can deal with changes "on the fly."  Those that want a guaranteed itinerary, be it on a ship or a formal tour group, may find that they are often very disappointed.  

We have an upcoming Oceania Marina cruise (Dec) and are now starting to wonder where we will go :).  If they get us to our disembarkation port on time I will be happy and just enjoy the cruise and whatever ports we visit :).  

I think folks like Clo who cruise primarily for the ports are in a very difficult situation.  For now (and the foreseeable future) I think if the place is very important that you should simply jump on a flight to that place (or nearby) and deal with the situation that exists.  While I understand that this kind of travel would be a new experience for many, and certainly more challenging then just booking a cruise, it would appear to be the best way to have some control over your destinations.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think folks like Clo who cruise primarily for the ports are in a very difficult situation.  For now (and the foreseeable future) I think if the place is very important that you should simply jump on a flight to that place (or nearby) and deal with the situation that exists.  While I understand that this kind of travel would be a new experience for many, and certainly more challenging then just booking a cruise, it would appear to be the best way to have some control over your destinations.

I agree with you...but.... 🙂 The cruise we have booked for 9/22 is 14 day Baltic and Scandinavian which includes St. Petersburg. At our age we just do not have the energy to do all of that in a land (and air) trip. I'm glad there's a year for all the parties to figure some things out. 

Well written post, sir.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I agree with you...but.... 🙂 The cruise we have booked for 9/22 is 14 day Baltic and Scandinavian which includes St. Petersburg. At our age we just do not have the energy to do all of that in a land (and air) trip. I'm glad there's a year for all the parties to figure some things out. 

Well written post, sir.

Why thank you Ma'am :).  I think that St Petersburg is one of those ports best done on a cruise unless a person is planning on an extended Russian trip or perhaps a Russian river cruise.  My only advice at going to St Petersburg on a cruise is to book local tours from a local tour provider rather then a cruise line excursion.  The difference is that on a cruise line excursion you will have a large group with the usual large buses.  But local tour providers put together small group tours (you do not need to know the other participants).  The last time we were in St Petersburg we used TJ Tours and it was fantastic.  We had a group of 10 and we moved around in a new Mercedes van with seating for 20 so we all had lots of room.  Our guide was excellent and we appreciated being in such a small group.  There are actually quite a few highly recommended tour companies in that city and they all provide the necessary visa waivers.    When DW and I mentioned to our tour guide that we wanted to go to the ballet she called the office and immediately arranged for tickets for that night's full performance of Swan Lake (we should have booked this well in advance).  It was the same performance visited by a large excursion group from our ship (that paid a lot more money).  TJ Tours send a car/driver to pick us up (after dinner) and take us directly to the theater where we had much better seats then the ship's large group.  After the performance we were met (outside the theater) by our car and drive back to the ship.  

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My only advice at going to St Petersburg on a cruise is to book local tours from a local tour provider rather then a cruise line excursion. 

I keep reading this but hadn't read about this company. I'll check it out. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Welcome to the new normal.  COVID is very likely here to stay (think of the flu which never disappears) there will most likely be times of surges and times of relative quiet.  Many of us have already learned how to live with disease just like we live with many other diseases.  But what is different is that governments and politicians have not learned how to live with this disease and are constantly changing the rules/restrictions...sometimes with little or no notice.  Since most folks book cruises months or even years in advance I think cruisers need to accept that itineraries are going to be constantly adjusted to deal with various governments.  

DW and I take some cruises for the ship (and because we just love to cruise) and for this kind of voyage we really do not care if our itinerary is changed.  We have an upcoming Caribbean cruise on Seabourn and look forward to getting on the lovely Odyssey and figure we will go wherever the Captain takes us :).  But if we were booking a more exotic cruise where the itinerary was important (to us) then that creates a big problem.   We just had a HAL cruise (Japan) cancelled for next spring and are considering some options.  We might book a transatlantic repo cruise to get to Europe, disembark, and lease a car for at least a month.  With a car we have maximum flexibility to go where we want based on circumstances on the ground (i.e. COVID rules, weather, etc).   I think the travel environment for the next few years favors the independent somewhat adventurous traveler who can deal with changes "on the fly."  Those that want a guaranteed itinerary, be it on a ship or a formal tour group, may find that they are often very disappointed.  

We have an upcoming Oceania Marina cruise (Dec) and are now starting to wonder where we will go :).  If they get us to our disembarkation port on time I will be happy and just enjoy the cruise and whatever ports we visit :).  

Hank

Just curious why you think covid is here to stay.  The flu pandemic of 1918 to 1920 killed a lot of people worldwide, but it DID end. Is there something different about this particular virus?

2 hours ago, avalong said:

Just curious why you think covid is here to stay.  The flu pandemic of 1918 to 1920 killed a lot of people worldwide, but it DID end. Is there something different about this particular virus?

Completely different type viruses.   But you might find this story interesting:

Why the 1918 Flu Pandemic Never Really Ended - HISTORY

• Like 1