Bottled Water

zodiac1

Just now, zodiac1 said:

Are will still allowed to bring a supply of bottled water on board at embarkation?  Seems to be a lot of changes recently on what is allowed. 

A case of 12 only - in cartons or cans.  No plastic is allowed.

All detail in the Know Before You Go. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kazu said:

A case of 12 only - in cartons or cans.  No plastic is allowed.

All detail in the Know Before You Go. 

I have read recently on here as well, that you can bring bottled water onboard from visiting a port.  If that is true, it doesn’t make sense, does it @kazu?

3 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

I have read recently on here as well, that you can bring bottled water onboard from visiting a port.  If that is true, it doesn’t make sense, does it @kazu?

I haven’t been on a ship since B.C. (Before Covid) so I just go by the know before you go which states embarkation.

We always could bring water on board in ports in the past.  I suspect if they did let some plastic bottles on board (I don’t recall reading that) because “people didn’t know” they will clamp down, but who knows?

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I haven’t been on a ship since B.C. (Before Covid) so I just go by the know before you go which states embarkation.

We always could bring water on board in ports in the past.  I suspect if they did let some plastic bottles on board (I don’t recall reading that) because “people didn’t know” they will clamp down, but who knows?

Well, hopefully, we will find out on our Rotterdam, Nov 11 cruise!  Fingers crossed!  😂

Edited by CM1984

I am on the Dec 5 Eurodam cruise out of Fort Lauderdale.  The "Contract" for that cruise reads (section 5)

• Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding."

Interestingly: the Know Before You Go (KBYG), as late as maybe a month ago,  used to have a (more prohibitive) section that discussed Water and Soda  - (and there was a discrepancy between the KBYG and the contract) but that section in the KBYG now appears to have been...removed.

The key is NO PLASTIC Bottles,  Cans or Cartons only (FYI: Amazon has water in paper Cartons - have not tried it)

War-Story: In 2019 I was on a 28 day cruise to the South Pacific out of San Diego. There was a guy ahead of me in the scanner area that had 4 full cases of water on a little wire frame luggage cart he was wrestling with all during check-in process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just a side note on water...

We thought the canned water being sold onboard was really good.  (I thought I took a photo to remember the brand, but can't find it.)

Anyhow, I made a whisky and water, which is an unforgiving test of water, and the drink was clean and bright.  Better than the bottled water sold before IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding

I would consider "discard" as a poor choice of words.  It does conjure the image of weary cruisers trundling past an ever mounting pile of discarded plastic bottles.  🙄 But as I reread the sentence it could also possibly mean that any open beverages (even in cans or cartons) will be placed into containers made of plastic 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For our recent Alaskan cruise I had planned to have Amazon deliver a case  of packaged water to our pre-cruise hotel so I could then bring it to the ship. DW (who is quite particular about her water) was...skeptical...about packaged water. 

I had tried to order the water on Tuesday or Wed before the cruise, but Amazon could not deliver till the Monday after the cruise - so that plan was shot (Kind of spoiled living near a bigger city where Amazon delivers next day or sometimes in a couple of hours...).

Anyway, I ordered from HAL the 6 - 1 Liter glass bottles of Acqua Panna, spring water and she really like it - so all is right with the world. Cost was like $28.

The water was in the room when we got there. Emptied out the fridge of the For-Sale junk and filled it with water bottles. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

They actually delivered two orders [12 Bottles] (only charged me for one), so we passed extras out to people we met on the ship.

1088684389_ScreenShot2021-10-02at11_34_24AM.png.9ae2d7f40aea8487f63afb668625f8ff.png

I have a Stainless Steel Sport Bottle for Excursions the we filled with ice and our Acqua Panna Water.

45 minutes ago, captjohn said:

We have the drink package. Will that include water also ?

Yes it does - it includes alcoholic and non alcoholic.  I believe the water only applies to the 500 ml size with the drink package.  

Does the "canned water" have any sort of metallic taste?

That has always been a real problem for me with any "canned beverage".

I much prefer glass bottles... and glass bottles with a resealable screw top - to "help me" avoid knocking beverages over and spilling them.  That can't keep me from knocking them over (!), but that can help with the spillage part. 😉

GC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does the "canned water" have any sort of metallic taste?

That has always been a real problem for me with any "canned beverage".

I much prefer glass bottles... and glass bottles with a resealable screw top - to "help me" avoid knocking beverages over and spilling them.  That can't keep me from knocking them over (!), but that can help with the spillage part. 😉

GC

We drank a ton of these canned waters on our Alaska cruise in August and we didn't notice any metallic taste.  We didn't like the bottles very much though because they were super thin and flimsy and the top where the cap screws on and off wasn't the most comfortable to drink out of.  We ended up ordering a few of the water bottles and then pouring them into our reusable water bottles that we had brought with us most of the time.

Glad I saw this.  I usually bring on a 32-pack of water.  I’ll just order some canned water to bring on our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise.  I’m assuming it’s 12 cans per person (will have to look at the onboarding documents), and our party is four…so 48 cans LOL