Anyone else nervous, flights SWA

Cruiz'nBaers

Just another issue to add stress to our trip.  What began as a fun and exciting last minute Caribbean cruise, first since October 2019, has turned into an anxiety filled last couple of weeks.  Covid testing changed from 3 to 2 days prior to boarding, and now, SWA having lots of cancellations over the weekend.  Of course, we love to fly from STL to FLL, it’s one airline where we can get direct flights and don’t have to pay a bunch of extra fees for cruise luggage.  They are saying it’s from air traffic control issues and bad weather.  My question is if this is the case, why haven’t every other airline had the same problems and cancellations?  Thoughts, anyone?  I’m really looking forward to getting back on a ship.

• Like 2

You put into writing everything I was thinking, except my flight is Denver to San Diego.

I believe it is poor staffing schedules.  More flights then they have pilots, flight attendants and the countless ground operations.

• Like 2

I agree. If it was weather and traffic control issues why aren't the other airlines involved. I live in Arizona and take SW when we travel to San Diego or San Francisco. Easy flights only an hour or so. But we are going to  San Diego in three weeks to board the Koningsdam and now we are looking at plan B also (just in case) which is renting a car one way and driving the 6-7 hours to San Diego if we have to. Not a pleasant thought but we will do it if we have to 🙄

18 minutes ago, paganwoman said:

I agree. If it was weather and traffic control issues why aren't the other airlines involved. I live in Arizona and take SW when we travel to San Diego or San Francisco. Easy flights only an hour or so. But we are going to  San Diego in three weeks to board the Koningsdam and now we are looking at plan B also (just in case) which is renting a car one way and driving the 6-7 hours to San Diego if we have to. Not a pleasant thought but we will do it if we have to 🙄

I’m on that sailing to (31-Oct to 7-Nov) I don’t have a plan B yet, as it would be too long of a drive for me!

It is a holiday today and more will likely be disclosed today or tomorrow.  I have a flight Friday and it is still flying.  I don't think Southwest is lying.  Other airlines probably have a different logistical mix than Southwest including fewer or more gates, busier schedules or less busy schedules.  

I know when I flew SWA April 2019 to FLL my flight was "cancelled" and they put me on the flight one hour prior.  I was given 4 or 5 choices within the 24 hour period.  From our airport SWA flies  to FLL about 15 flights a day now, then it was even flying 2 in an hour.  

We’re flying in the day before our cruise, was never worried before, we could still take a later flight if there was a problem.  Now, I wonder if only one day before is adequate.  Driving is not a good option, the drive time to Port Everglades alone is 18 hours.  We would have to leave home a minimum of 3 days prior, 2 full days of driving and staying in our already booked hotel the night before.  Not a very appealing option.

I can only hope they figure out their "problems" in the next month.  We're supposed to fly Reno to San Diego direct the day before our cruise.  Hubby and I were watching/reading about all this last night.  Decided our plan B is, if they are messed up AT ALL.    We just start driving South. 

Google said it would be a 9 hour drive to San Diego.  That gave me a pretty big laugh.  If my memory serves me correct it used to be an 8 or 9 hour drive to Santa Clarita.   However, I was happy to see that it was "only" 559 miles or so to San Diego and that the 215 would take us straight through (circumventing) most of the LA area.  YIKES, but we could do it, weather permitting (we just woke up to a drift of snow this morning, we actually live 3 hours North of Reno).  UGHHHH, nope not thrilled at all.

We also have Southwest booked in early February, but I would think their "problems" would be sorted out by then.  I felt bad for one couple I found on the internet that missed their Disney cruise this weekend.  I'm sure we'll hear about more from current cruises.

Tammy

We flew SWA three weeks ago on the day our cruise started. Usually we fly in the day or so before. But no problems that day! Thank goodness!

As soon as we booked our flight, we got an email saying that something had changed. Thankfully it was our flight home as we had almost no wiggle room for the trip to Seattle. 
It saddens me to hear all of this so early in the holiday season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

We also have Southwest booked in early February, but I would think their "problems" would be sorted out by then.  I felt bad for one couple I found on the internet that missed their Disney cruise this weekend.  I'm sure we'll hear about more from current cruises.

Tammy

Someone posted on another Site they had their SW flight cancelled but had time enough to drive the 5 -  6 hours to make the Koningsdam.    Feel bad for all those who missed their Cruises!  

@Heartgrove  Good to hear with Delta!  I'm driving for November Cruise but flying Delta to FLL for December Cruise.  🤞

@idiebabe I wish it were only a 5 or 6 hour drive.  When I used to live only 150 miles away from San Diego, it once took me closer to 4 hours to drive there in LA traffic.

Now we would be 550 miles from the port.  In winter, with two options to drive there one of them being something called the Donner Pass (remember the Donner Party) lol.  My guess would be closer to 11 hours drive time with minimal stops and “decent” weather.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leerathje said:

As opposed to driving, are there not other airlines in the US besides Southwest that you could fly on?

L.

Absolutely and in my case the HAL offerings are the same price or lower.   Why people like southwest is they charge no baggage fees (within limits). If I didn’t have points my April 2021 flight would be cheaper with HAL, enough to make up for the baggage fees charged by the other airline

I have multiple reasons that I USED to like Southwest.  Cheapest, I doubt it.  Between the $20 (x4) for early bird check in, our 2 tickets for November we’re about $500 and come to think about it same for our flights in February.  

I did like the no change fees and their schedules.  

Yes, I “could” book back up flights for another $500.  But, like stated above what’s to prevent the same “problems” from happening to the other airlines.  Not trying to be cheap here but come on.  I’m sailing from San Diego, LA and San Francisco all in the next four months.  I feel like I’m jumping all in again to cruise.   Guess I’ll be happy that at least we’re driving to San Francisco.

I already have over $600 invested in flights with SWA, I have considered flying on another airline but I don’t have that kind of cash to tie up.  I just hope they come up with some kind of resolution to this issue .  Our world is sure a mess right now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, idiebabe said:

Someone posted on another Site they had their SW flight cancelled but had time enough to drive the 5 -  6 hours to make the Koningsdam.    Feel bad for all those who missed their Cruises!  

@Heartgrove  Good to hear with Delta!  I'm driving for November Cruise but flying Delta to FLL for December Cruise.  🤞

This is why I ALWAYS travel in a day early and spend the night unless I am departing locally. I hope most folks were able to work something out and not miss their cruise or can at least join from San Francisco on Wednesday. What a terrible way to start a vacation! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

We never fly SW...never cared for their business model.

My opinion is exactly the opposite.  SW is my favorite airline for so many reasons.  I love the 2 bags free policy.  Love the no change fee, as well as the fact that my points never expire.  I love their safety record too!  The only thing that I sort of don't like is the lack of assigned seats, but that's small potatoes.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

My opinion is exactly the opposite.  SW is my favorite airline for so many reasons.  I love the 2 bags free policy.  Love the no change fee, as well as the fact that my points never expire.  I love their safety record too!  The only thing that I sort of don't like is the lack of assigned seats, but that's small potatoes.

I also like the way the point system works with changing flights.  The unused points just go back into your account without having a one year time limit to use (which you have if you are paying cash).

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I also like the way the point system works with changing flights.  The unused points just go back into your account without having a one year time limit to use (which you have if you are paying cash).

Absolutely!  Thanks, I forgot about that lovely detail!  I also really like their ticket agents, as well as the funny flight crews.  

Whatever IS going on with all of the cancellations, it's not business as usual for SW.  There's something the mainstream news isn't sharing.

Returned last night, from Kona on a truly 1st class flight round trip with Southwest.  The round trip was scheduled when Southwest offered a $99 Hawaii special.  We had not used SW to travel to Hawaii before this trip, we will certainly fly with Southwest to Hawaii in the future! Mahalo to the great crew, fresh brewed coffee and ample snacks!

Edited by Norseh2o
na
  • Like 4

I love SW.  I had originally book a flight for the morning of sailing (Eurodam 11/14) because hotels that weekend were outrageous.  So, I was mildly happy when they cut the first 2 days off our sailing.  Now, I'm flying down Monday afternoon, spending the night, and sailing on Tuesday.

I used SW credits from flights cancelled way back in April 2020 for my Zaandam sailing.  And when I switched for this upcoming sailing, I got another $55 credit.  Sure, I'm now paying for a hotel, but it's so much less stressful to get there a day early.  I have enough credit to pay for the flights for my December cruise.

I've also booked that Monday at 9 am for my rapid Covid test.

But, yes, I'm a little concerned.  Just read an article that the pilot's union has an issue with the vaccine mandate.  OMG, people.  Just get vaccinated.

Anyway, I just checked other options for that Monday.  Nothing appealing since most include a stopover (with a small window to change planes) and cost double.

The flight home the day before Thanksgiving has me concerned, even without the current situation.  But, hey.  I'll purchase my annual travel insurance policy effective the day I (hopefully) fly down and if I have to stay in Florida over Thanksgiving, so be it!  I'm not planning to visit family immediately after cruising and flying, anyway.  I'll take a rapid test when I get home and, if negative, visit them a few days later.  They'll probably still have leftovers. 😉  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Not small potatoes to many people. Do they still put people in lines to board?  It's third grade with people breaking line.

Two times was enough for us. I haven't even considered them in the last 5-6 years.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

Not small potatoes to many people. Do they still put people in lines to board?  It's third grade with people breaking line.

Two times was enough for us. I haven't even considered them in the last 5-6 years.

You have a boarding group and number now.  it's not total mayhem anymore.