covid test requirement expire 10/31/21??

Islandbuoy

10 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

How long will it take politicians and their appointed health people to recognize this

Hopefully long enough to have a very high degree of confidence that the next move is the right one. A strong and enforced vaccine mandate would likely hasten the return to more or less "normal".  But some folks believe that the right to put oneself and others in needless danger is fundamental.  So until that issue finds some resolution, we are probably stuck where we are for now.

• Like 2

The testing continues through the end of November (at least).   Just got an email from Celebrity for our Nov. 3 Summit cruise:

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation. Before we set sail, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols. Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all requirements from local government and health officials. Out of an abundance of caution, Celebrity Cruises will be enhancing COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests in accordance with the latest Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance.

For sailings departing the U.S. through November 30, 2021, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs.

Unvaccinated children between the ages of two and eleven years old will be required to bring a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will be provided an additional PCR test at the terminal prior to embarkation as well as on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing at the terminal will be sent separately. Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered.

For your convenience we have partnered with Optum, an authorized medical provider, to offer home-test kits for fully vaccinated guests. The home-test kit option is now available to purchase on the Optum website here and can be delivered to your home within three business days. Please note, at-home Antigen test kits do not meet the CDC’s pre-cruise testing requirement for unvaccinated children. Guests arriving at the terminal without a negative COVID-19 test result may be denied boarding. For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit www.healthyatsea.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience. The health and safety of everyone onboard is our number one priority. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises 

©2021 Celebrity Cruises. Ships' Registry: Malta

Celebrity Cruises
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
1-800-280-3423

• Like 3

Yup, got the 30 Nov extension. We are cruising 20 Nov on the Apex. Just wondering if anyone knows how long the 31 Oct extension was. this is for 30 days and was thinking maybe this extension is a shorter 30-day one which infers X is looking to reduce the requirements in the future, When Possible. 

All ready here with the Optum authorized home-test kits for the 3 of us with 2 as backups. 

Den 

13 hours ago, D C said:

Wouldn't that also be on par with influenza? 

For those vaccinated, is there any reason to treat covid differently than influenza? 

No, I don't equate the risk posed by influenza with that posed by COVID. You may feel otherwise.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No, I don't equate the risk posed by influenza with that posed by COVID. You may feel otherwise.

Agree completely. Realize the other poster was stating fully vaccinated should be treated with less oversight and testing, but much of this is due to requirements of various ports, and because Delta has increased the risk to fully vaccinated……and because of those who think they have no responsibilities to society in the middle of medical emergencies and pandemics. Freedom to infect others and help a pandemic evolve into a more deadly form. 

Got it. 

Den

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TickledBlue said:

The testing continues through the end of November (at least).   Just got an email from Celebrity for our Nov. 3 Summit cruise:

Thanks for posting.  We are sailing on Dec. 3, and I fully expect Celebrity to extend the testing requirement and am planning accordingly.  I'm not sure why they just didn't just bite the bullet and extend it through the calendar year, it's not that far off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

How many were hospitalized due to severe disease, if any?

How many died, if any?

Out of how many total vaxxed pax?

And  compared with people getting sick pre-Covid with viruses?

More and more medical experts are talking about Covid becoming endemic, like flu.  Some people get it, a handful of fragile  people were hospitalized.   We still traveled.
Vaxes ( with boosters) help lower risks of bad outcomes. 
And Merck is close to getting an oral drug approved for early rx -- docs on ships will likely have it.

The world cannot wait for a Covid free world. How long will it take politicians and their appointed health people to recognize this so cruise lines and travel industry etc can survive? 

Sure, their focus should be on cruise lines etc....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

To be fair, they've already let the airline industry off the hook for domestic travel, implementing only the simplest of measures (masking).  Zero testing requirements for pax, and with no centralized mechanism for contact tracing here, no point in requiring additional reporting of seat assignments that could otherwise prove valuable for that purpose.

It's no wonder so many here seem more concerned about flying to the port than they are the actual cruise.

54 minutes ago, canderson said:

To be fair, they've already let the airline industry off the hook for domestic travel, implementing only the simplest of measures (masking).  Zero testing requirements for pax, and with no centralized mechanism for contact tracing here, no point in requiring additional reporting of seat assignments that could otherwise prove valuable for that purpose.

It's no wonder so many here seem more concerned about flying to the port than they are the actual cruise.

Agreed, the domestic airline industry should have stricter requirements, but I think that lowering the requirement for cruising would be a case of two wrongs not making a right. JMO.

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Agreed, the domestic airline industry should have stricter requirements, but I think that lowering the requirement for cruising would be a case of two wrongs not making a right. JMO.

Either side one takes, the disparity is striking.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I agree.  I think people should have to be vaxxed to get on domestic airlines and interstate trains.  It's crazy that we require fully vaxxed Americans flying home from a trip abroad to have a negative Covid test, but allow anyone and everyone on domestic flights, without being vaxxed or tested.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I agree.  I think people should have to be vaxxed to get on domestic airlines and interstate trains.  It's crazy that we require fully vaxxed Americans flying home from a trip abroad to have a negative Covid test, but allow anyone and everyone on domestic flights, without being vaxxed or tested.  

And just think of the reduction in violence against the airline staff if you only had fully vaccinated passengers who understand basic hygiene and would wear masks without all the drama…..even after a few whiskies. 

haven’t heard much of any hassle on the cruises probably due to the requirements and the resulting level of passengers. 

den

• Like 4

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

This is a cruising forum, so that is our focus ( which is obviously in the context of being in the world of Covid and what is happening with it overall). I think you missed the key points, but that is ok., not worth pursuing and I don't want this thread shut down for crossing an absolutely direct relevance line.

I ordered the mail order kits from Optum Celebrity suggested, they came quickly, and though they expired 9/28, the insert says we can still use them another three months due to the shortage. I cruise in Novemeber.

I do have to wonder in what, if any, direction a truly expired kit would go -- false positive, false negative, or just no result.

I have both a lab antigen appointment set up a day before I fly out , on a Friday (two days before the Sunday cruise, though more than 48 hours which is ok), and Optum kits in case something goes wrong with the appointment.  I will also use one for self-testing at home two days before the official test but without the call-in. This all costs me more but it provides security and is just part of the extra price of cruising in a pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I ordered the mail order kits from Optum Celebrity suggested, they came quickly, and though they expired 9/28, the insert says we can still use them another three months due to the shortage. 

The shortage is not the reason for the extension of the expiration date.  The FDA granted that extension last spring because Abbott's studies demonstrated that the kits have a longer shelf life than originally thought.  Here's the FDA's letter to Abbott:

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en

1 minute ago, Catlover54 said:

Turtle, I am just quoting what was in my package insert on a leaflet.

Wow, really?  I can see why you have some concern whether the kits are any good.

If you don't mind, could you post the Lot number of your kits?  There are Abbott letters on line from last spring that give the extended expiration dates (based on the FDA letter to which I linked).  You might get some comfort from knowing that your extended expiration date was based on that and not some arbitrary extension because of a shortage of kits.  

40 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Wow, really?  I can see why you have some concern whether the kits are any good.

If you don't mind, could you post the Lot number of your kits?  There are Abbott letters on line from last spring that give the extended expiration dates (based on the FDA letter to which I linked).  You might get some comfort from knowing that your extended expiration date was based on that and not some arbitrary extension because of a shortage of kits.  

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/COVID-19-Ag-Card-Product-Expiry-Update.pdf

Hope this helps.