covid test requirement expire 10/31/21??

Islandbuoy

15 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't think they were looking for hard data to say 2 days was better than 3. You can say it doesn't help but it also isn't hurting anything either. When Delta became an issue they were looking for any chance to lessen the risk of exposure between testing and boarding day. The ideal scenario is to test everyone on embarkation day. But that has proven to be a huge logistical issue, especially with increasing capacity. Carnival even went as far as announcing they were going to attempt it then backtracked two weeks later when they realized it just isn't feasible. 

Keep in mind, testing on embarkation day could lead to a higher risk of infected people entering the terminal.

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

There are some folks with more difficult itineraries that might (and have) express a different view on that, but the primary problem, especially at the outset, was that it shut down a lot of testing options with longer result times at a point where rapid testing options weren't the norm.

Yes this!

5 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

t - is it possible that they have seen a trend which we have not?

Guidelines say 1 - 3 days, which is a range that they are taking advantage of for some unknown, to us, reason.

In health and bon voyage

Bo- maybe so and maybe we will eventually find out.   But the CDC has a 3 day testing requirement for other forms of travel. 

20 minutes ago, RichYak said:

X is not fully vaccinated. Under 12yo can sail. That said, I think even fully vaccinated cruises fall under the CDC "Restricted" category. 100% vaccinated falls under the >95% vaccinated. I'm not aware of any CDC category for 100% vaccinated ships.

Yes I was using the term fully vaccinated but know that it is 95+ % vaccinated and assuming a few kids.

28 minutes ago, canderson said:

There are some folks with more difficult itineraries that might (and have) express a different view on that, but the primary problem, especially at the outset, was that it shut down a lot of testing options with longer result times at a point where rapid testing options weren't the norm.

That's correct from a passenger perspective, but from Celebrity's view at the onslaught of Delta coming into play, to be honest I don't think they cared what the passenger impact was. You either could get tested or not. If you couldn't you would get a refund or FCC. They weren't willing to take any additional risks at a time that was so crucial to getting things done correctly. The environment changed so rapidly from June 26 to a total oh sh!t moment just a few weeks later like they were back to square one. I don't envy the people having to make decisions around those times...

28 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't think they were looking for hard data to say 2 days was better than 3. You can say it doesn't help but it also isn't hurting anything either. When Delta became an issue they were looking for any chance to lessen the risk of exposure between testing and boarding day. The ideal scenario is to test everyone on embarkation day. But that has proven to be a huge logistical issue, especially with increasing capacity. Carnival even went as far as announcing they were going to attempt it then backtracked two weeks later when they realized it just isn't feasible. 

Here is my final thought about the change from 3 days to 2 days.  Many cruise passengers went from doing a 3 day RT-PCR test to a 2 day home antigen test. The virus post-infection takes about 3-5 days to replicate enough to be positive on an Antigen test as a general guideline (according to CDC).  And with detectable antigen you would likely be symptomatic.  An RT-PCR test would detect virus in fewer days and would also detect asymptomatic cases spreading virus.  A 3 day RT-PCR test might be the better option in a pre-cruise time frame for detecting virus.  But now with the switch to 2 days for all practical logistical purposes it has been rendered useless for pre-cruise testing.  Everybody is doing the convenient antigen test option.  So the switch to 2 days makes the risk of virus on the ship greater IMO because the better test has been abandoned.

• Like 1

Just want to quickly report on my testing horror story.  My mother and I are sailing on the Oct. 16 sailing of the Edge.  I made an appointment with CVS for 9 and 9:30 am today.  I received a text at 7 pm last night (right when the Minute Clinic closed) telling me our appointments had been cancelled.  No, problem, I had an emergency back up appointments made at one of the local grocery pharmacy.  As I was on my way to the grocery appointment, I received a phone call, they were out of test kits and would be cancelling my appointment, but I could try the store on the other side of town.  I did, and yes they had the test kits, and I didn't need an appointment just come on in.  We jumped in the car and flew over there.  I started filling out the necessary paperwork and the Pharmacist came over and asked which test I needed.  I showed her the info from the Celebrity website.  She said that they don't offer that type of instant antigen test (????) That the Celebrity side said we needed a negative test and her test would show a positive result if we were healthy.  They directed me to a lab in town that will do the test and have the results in 24 hours. So we scampered over there. Test taken, hopefully we will receive the results in time.  Just in case I got back on the CVS site and was able to book one (only) appointment for today.  I went to the CVS in person, and begged for them to test us both.  The nurse agreed.  Moral of the story, order the emed test online plenty early. Hope to be cruising soon.

3 minutes ago, Wildrose56 said:

Just want to quickly report on my testing horror story.  My mother and I are sailing on the Oct. 16 sailing of the Edge.  I made an appointment with CVS for 9 and 9:30 am today.  I received a text at 7 pm last night (right when the Minute Clinic closed) telling me our appointments had been cancelled.  No, problem, I had an emergency back up appointments made at one of the local grocery pharmacy.  As I was on my way to the grocery appointment, I received a phone call, they were out of test kits and would be cancelling my appointment, but I could try the store on the other side of town.  I did, and yes they had the test kits, and I didn't need an appointment just come on in.  We jumped in the car and flew over there.  I started filling out the necessary paperwork and the Pharmacist came over and asked which test I needed.  I showed her the info from the Celebrity website.  She said that they don't offer that type of instant antigen test (????) That the Celebrity side said we needed a negative test and her test would show a positive result if we were healthy.  They directed me to a lab in town that will do the test and have the results in 24 hours. So we scampered over there. Test taken, hopefully we will receive the results in time.  Just in case I got back on the CVS site and was able to book one (only) appointment for today.  I went to the CVS in person, and begged for them to test us both.  The nurse agreed.  Moral of the story, order the emed test online plenty early. Hope to be cruising soon.

Sucks the fun out of the vacation! How stressful.

Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly from here on.

4 minutes ago, Wildrose56 said:

Jump through enough hoops?  Isn't cruising supposed to be a low anxiety, stress free vacation?😀

2 hours ago, rachiem said:

I'm so confused with the rules as on the UK site when I've tried to look at the requirements for a US sailing it blocks me (Bad Gateway)!!

So, I assume that I can test at Heathrow before my flight (test at 7am on the Friday)

Then board on the Sunday (afternoon) and this all counts as two days?

I'd much rather test before departing the UK than running around FLL to find a test centre.

We will use a rapid antigen test.

It's confusing to ALL of us, in part (or mostly) because of conflicts even within the same entity (like CDC) ... fostering lengthy discussions regarding one webpage over another (again e.g. CDC).

Quoting "US Travel Requirements as of October 12, 2021" on Celebrity, nothing has changed in the first paragraphs...

"All non-US residents must present a negative NAAT or Antigen test taken with 3 days of travel.

Be sure to save a copy on your phone and bring a printed copy. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification."

Of course Celebrity demands 2 days before, not 3 as the above quote says. But yes, boiling it all down, seems like you'll be fine with a Friday test for a Sunday cruise.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

It's confusing to ALL of us, in part (or mostly) because of conflicts even within the same entity (like CDC) ... fostering lengthy discussions regarding one webpage over another (again e.g. CDC).

Quoting "US Travel Requirements as of October 12, 2021" on Celebrity, nothing has changed in the first paragraphs...

"All non-US residents must present a negative NAAT or Antigen test taken with 3 days of travel.

Be sure to save a copy on your phone and bring a printed copy. Name on test results must match those on government issued identification."

Of course Celebrity demands 2 days before, not 3 as the above quote says. But yes, boiling it all down, seems like you'll be fine with a Friday test for a Sunday cruise.

As a note, the 3 day reference above is in relation to the fact that non-US residents need a test 3 days before flying into the US (US government rule) and then Celebrity needs a test 2 days from boarding.  Technically you could get 2 tests, one for the 3 day flight requirement and one for the 2 day cruise requirement, but I'm trying to time my test so I can use it for both the flight and the cruise, so I will get my test in the morning on Wednesday, we flight out at midnight that night and arrive in Florida on Thursday, and get on the Equinox on Friday.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

As a note, the 3 day reference above is in relation to the fact that non-US residents need a test 3 days before flying into the US (US government rule) and then Celebrity needs a test 2 days from boarding.  Technically you could get 2 tests, one for the 3 day flight requirement and one for the 2 day cruise requirement, but I'm trying to time my test so I can use it for both the flight and the cruise, so I will get my test in the morning on Wednesday, we flight out at midnight that night and arrive in Florida on Thursday, and get on the Equinox on Friday.

I understand, was just clarifying that my copy-and-paste was not the most restrictive rule non-US residents have to go by.

Speaking of "bad gateway" is anybody else having a problem with the CC forums today? I have literally had to logout and login again at least 6 times to post or react.

Also @rachiem, if you need further info from that Celebrity page just say the word. There's more regarding "While On Board" and "While Ashore". Just in case you can't get that info anywhere else.

This page:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Edited by Moonarino
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonarino said:

I understand, was just clarifying that my copy-and-paste was not the most restrictive rule non-US residents have to go by.

Speaking of "bad gateway" is anybody else having a problem with the CC forums today? I have literally had to logout and login again at least 6 times to post or react.

Also @rachiem, if you need further info from that Celebrity page just say the word. There's more regarding "While On Board" and "While Ashore". Just in case you can't get that info anywhere else.

This page:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Thank you...the direct link seems to be working 🙂 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Here is my final thought about the change from 3 days to 2 days.  Many cruise passengers went from doing a 3 day RT-PCR test to a 2 day home antigen test. The virus post-infection takes about 3-5 days to replicate enough to be positive on an Antigen test as a general guideline (according to CDC).  And with detectable antigen you would likely be symptomatic.  An RT-PCR test would detect virus in fewer days and would also detect asymptomatic cases spreading virus.  A 3 day RT-PCR test might be the better option in a pre-cruise time frame for detecting virus.  But now with the switch to 2 days for all practical logistical purposes it has been rendered useless for pre-cruise testing.  Everybody is doing the convenient antigen test option.  So the switch to 2 days makes the risk of virus on the ship greater IMO because the better test has been abandoned.

Good point. But of course all of this science just confuses all of us even more. ..........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moonarino said:

Glad to hear it! I almost didn't get it in there, had to edit twice before I remembered to do that.

Yes, it confirms that we can take the test as we leave Heathrow and it will cover both the flight and the cruise. Hate leaving it to the last minute but otherwise we'd have to do it twice. 

Thanks again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canderson said:

Um... these ARE "Restricted" voyages under the CSO that Celebrity is currently conducting.  "Restricted" refers to the protocols in place for vaccination & etc on these ships.  That Celebrity chose to go full vax to satisfy local port requirements doesn't change that classification.

The CSO expires Oct. 31. Has anyone seen anything about it being extended again? I have not. After Oct. 31 cruise lines can do whatever they want.

10 minutes ago, rachiem said:

Yes, it confirms that we can take the test as we leave Heathrow and it will cover both the flight and the cruise. Hate leaving it to the last minute but otherwise we'd have to do it twice. 

Thanks again

You're very welcome. Same here, last minute so ti speak. We're driving out the day before our Nov 4 cruise, so we'll be squeezing out tests in (and getting results back) on the 2nd day before. Just one day to get it done with a modicum of convenience. Not happy about that.

2 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The CSO expires Oct. 31. Has anyone seen anything about it being extended again? I have not. After Oct. 31 cruise lines can do whatever they want.

No. That's what all the conversation is about. A whole bunch of conversations actually. They've still got 2 weeks to nail us down again.

As I reported back in post # 20 (And as confirmed by post #28 from a different passenger) The two day test will be needed for equinox on 7 November, per email from Celebrity. Interestingly, the app has not been updated to show that and still indicates that testing requirements will be announced later. However, I think the email is to be trusted more than the app

• Thanks 1

Weird ordering for the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth.  If I went thru the celebrity link it said out of stock....I went directly to the Optum health and ordered them no problem.  Whichever figure Ill need it for my Nov cruise just cross it off the list of to do things 

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Posted 23 hours ago

Wildrose56

• Wildrose56
  • October 22, 2013
  • Southwest Florida, Rossville, Indiana

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Jump through enough hoops?  Isn't cruising supposed to be a low anxiety, stress free vacation?😀

I've been keeping saying this for years; however, for unknown reasons, some reply that I'm wrong. How is that so?  They reply they are happy with all hoops, shmoops, hurdles, regulations, restrictions, codes, policies, protocols, restrains, limitations, and dozens of other synonyms of hegemony.  Lately, there is tendency to the interesting answer to a logical questions or concerns when there is no a answer revealing the reality - the answer is "I dismiss your enquiry".  I love it!  How convenient!

Edited by kirtihk
  • Thanks 1