Fairbanks: March 2022

Anita Latte

Hello! I know that my entire land based trip...NOT associated with any cruise may not be entirely appropriate for this forum BUT...having participated here to plan our AK 2018 cruise and having received such wonderful help here...I'm hoping to get some insider track information on Fairbanks because we will be there for about one week in late March in celebration of my 50th birthday. I'd very much appreciate input into what to do and where to eat while we are there. Here's what I have so far...

We arrive 11:45 PM on Tuesday, March 22. We have a normal rental car (we aren't planning the Dalton Highway...when I plan the Arctic Circle, I want to spend time there and have it be its own destination)...so normal rental car to facilitate getting around town but NOT a gravel rental.

So Wednesday, March 23...first thing booked is an aurora viewing experience at Aurora Pointe. 10PM - 2AM. I've read great reviews of Kory...if he's still running it...and I'm happy to have access to a warm inside, restrooms, a campfire, etc. for our first go at aurora chasing.

Thursday, March 24...10:30 AM...snowmobiling. 2 hr tour.

Friday, March 25 (my birthday!)...10:00 AM...dog sledding. 1.5-2.5 hrs.

Saturday, March 26...9:00 AM...ice fishing. 4 hr tour.

Ice fishing is a go no matter the weather really because of the fishing hut. If necessary, we have Sunday and Monday available for possible rescheduling due to inclement weather.

So...for the locals that could give me some extra special help...I'm wondering about places that we could go for our own aurora chasing. I've read about Murphy Dome. There's actually a tour offered that goes there is a van...but they say there's no restrooms and they are offering the van as a warm place for hanging out to watch for the northern lights...but I'm thinking that we could just drive ourselves out there. It seems like locals may do that. I'd like more info on if that is as simple as it seems to be to drive out there on our own. AND anywhere else that would be a good place to go to for aurora chasing. I'm not adverse to paying for another aurora watching experience, but I'd like to hear more about what we could do on our own.

I thought I read somewhere that at the entrance to Denali, in the winter they have snow shoes available to use and you can walk around the trails that are right there... I can't seem to replicate that info anywhere. We are up to a daytrip to around Denali if the weather is conducive to that...and IF there was something worth while doing. We haven't been to Denali and that is our plan for another year, but if there was something unique to winter in the surrounding area that would be worth doing, I'd love to know about it. Especially if Sunday and Monday are still "free" days because we didn't have to reschedule snowmobiling or dog sledding.

Things that I'm thinking about doing...some that I definitely WANT to do...some that I'm unsure about...

1. Ice Alaska...I'm all excited to see the ice sculptures. I get that the competition should be finished before we get there and the events will likely all be over, but it seems like the display of all the ice sculptures continues to the end of March? This is definitely on my to do list if it does in fact go through the end of March.

2. Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum...definitely interested in the cars and the FASHION. I read there are winter hours...only open Wednesdays and Sundays.

3. Museum of the North...definitely interested in this.

4. Chena Hot Springs...my concern here is more related to reviews I've read about the state of the locker rooms etc. But I've been to Thermopolis WY in winter and it was great...we did Pagosa Springs in winter and that was also so good. I LOVE hot springs...so definitely interested.

Also on the list of interested in: Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center, Fairbanks Community Museum. We're staying downtown so we could easily take the trail along the river (is that possible in March?) and get to see the Yukon Quest Cabin, Golden Heart Plaza, Land Lease Monument, Antler Arch, etc. along the way to the Visitors Center. And that brings me to the question...how are things like the streets and the downtown area for walking from hotel to restaurant, etc.? I'm hoping that the streets and sidewalks are maintained and cleared so we can walk from place to place?

Other places I'd like to visit...Hoarfrost Distilling, Fairbanks Distillery (the one downtown), HooDoo Brewing. For restaurants, I think I want to eat at Soba and not sure what else. I want Soba because it sounds like the couple relocated to Fairbanks and are cooking up their homeland food, sounds authentic and yummy. I'm curious as to what happens to all the river front restaurants in the winter. Are they a nice atmosphere inside and overlooking the frozen river? Where else would be unique food or a great atmosphere? Is there a place in or around town that is especially suited to a special birthday dinner? We have a car and are willing to drive to the surrounding areas.

Also...for things like Creamer's Field. In March, would we need snow shoes to walk around there? What about Birch Hill Recreation Area? I think I've read there's a hill there for sledding? Can we grab a sled somehow and play there? Also, is Creamer's Field a good place to go to see Aurora?

DH and I lived in Colorado for many years. We participated in many winter activities when we lived there...including snow shoeing and downhill skiing. I'm not into downhill but DH would love to snowboard. I think I saw two ski areas there? We were debating the idea of DH having some snow boarding time and I might have some spa time?

If anyone would take some time to talk to me...I would really appreciate it. I ultimately picked Fairbanks for my 50th because I've always wanted to see the northern lights but also I love snow...and enjoy doing more active type things. I wouldn't mind trying Nordic skiing...going snow shoeing...whatever. I'm open to hearing about these things. DH grew up in CO and WY...we lived in CO and KS...so we have good experience driving on winter roads and actually have quite a bit of winter clothing oh!, insight on what is appropriate for just in town would be helpful. Like how wintery do my shoes have to be? I have insulated snow boots...do I need to wear them all the time? What would be a good second pair of shoes to have for museum, restaurant, distillery, brewery, etc., type times?

Much obliged...thank you in advance. If you don't want to give away all the insider secrets, please email me at "cc anita latte at gee mail dot com" but please let me know you did email me here as I don't normally check that email if I'm not in an active conversation with someone.

Do not miss the Fairbanks Ice Art Championships - https://www.explorefairbanks.com/event/world-ice-art-championships-2022/5784/.  You will be amazed at what they can do w ice.    I have been to the auto museum 3 times.  In my opinion it is one of the great auto museums in the world. 

With regard to Chena, I was there about 5 or 6 years ago and there was no problem w the the locker rooms then.  I have no idea about now.  I stayed there either 3 or 4 days and had clear skies and good aurora each night.  You do want to take the Aurora Viewing Tour that takes you to the top of the mountain where the skies are darker.  Also, try to book your time in Chena for when there is no moon for obvious reasons.  The attached photos were taken at Chena.

If you are into dive bars, check out the Howling Dog Saloon.  When my wife and I were there is the summer (things might be different in the winter), the owner of our B&B recommended the place and even volunteered to be our designated driver.  The night we were there they had a really great blues band.  Again - things might be different in the winter so call before you go.  

I assume that you know the tricks about using your photo equipment including keeping condensation off your equipment when you go outside into the cold and inside back to warm areas.   Also make sure that you have a fast wide angle lens for aurora photography and a tripod that can handle really cold weather.  When I did my winter photography trip in Yellowstone, one of the legs of my tripod snapped off in the cold.   Also, I assume that you know to bring lots of batteries for your camera.

Re cold.  It will be really cold or at least it was cold when I was there.  It will be even colder in the evening at the ice festival and when you are on top of the mountain at Chena if you decide to do it.  I brought every bit of cold weather stuff I had and ended up buying better gloves, a better hat and lots of chemical hand warmers when I got there.

Hope this helps.

DON

DSC_2263.JPG

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

Don...I don't know any of the tricks of the trade for photography. I love taking pictures but investing time, money and effort into learning about photography hasn't been something that I have undertaken. Our cameras are point and shoot...pretty old...one is a hand me down from my dad...the other is a "rugged" camera that is waterproof...good for capturing most moments on our various adventures. Not sure what I'm going to do about the camera situation for this trip...some of the tours I've seen have available cameras...

I'll have to call and see if we could do the Aurora viewing tour from Chena without staying there. We are staying downtown on points...saving on the hotel is helping fund our activities. Is the aurora tour you took the one that goes up to where there is a yurt or 2? You take a SUSV up there? The tour could be different now, of course, but just clarifying that you took the tour FROM the Chena Resort and offered through the Chena Resort?

Glad to hear the endorsements for Ice Alaska and the auto museum. Howling Dog looks like a LOT of fun...especially the focus on live music there. I can't tell how the winter affects its operation...but I'll find that out because that could be a good time there.

Yes, we are expecting cold. Serious cold. Great photo!!

49 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

Yes, we are expecting cold. Serious cold.

I spent a few days in Anchorage during Christmas with my family.  My Nephew took us North to a State Park; the lake was frozen over, ice fishing was going taking place; we got out of the car and I marveled at where I was and what I was doing.  The temperature was -40 degrees with wind.  I had bought a parka with hood and wore a hat under the hood.  I had 4 layers of clothing on under the parka, shoes with ice grippers attached, and I was still very cold!  Where I live in Ohio, we have had very cold below zero temperatures with wind chill.  I thought, with the extra clothes and the parka, I would be prepared.  I wasn't!  Being from the Space Coast, are you really going to be prepared for what environmental conditions you are going to experience?  

I am very glad that I spent Christmas in Alaska and experienced such an environment.  Alaska in the Winter is just as beautiful as it is during other seasons of the year.  

I don't have enough time to address the multitude of issues in post #1 but I will start.

First, what is a "normal rental car?"  A friend operated an AirBnB for several years and was surprised when guests would appear with a rental car not equipped with adequate winter tires.  Make sure that car is winterized and ask about the tires.  You will also need an extension cord so it can be plugged in at night.

I have never heard of Aurora Pointe.  I "googled" it and understand it is associated with Taste of Alaska Lodge which I am aware of.  But don't book it until just before you arrive, and make sure you have checked the aurora forecast and local weather forecast.  There are a number of aurora forecast sites, but follow the one offered by the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute (google is your friend).

The Explore Fairbanks website has suggestions for aurora viewing.   Instead of Murphy Dome I would suggest considering the Felix Pedro Monument pullout on the Steese Highway.  

Our OP read "somewhere" that "they" offer snowshoes at the entrance of Denali National Park.  While the park never closes down, I would never suggest that a visitor drive down for the day in the middle of winter.  Very little will be open in terms of food options.  And the road conditions could be challenging, especially in a rental car.

Given what the OP's interests are I think they are cheating themselves by not staying for two or three nights at Chena Hot Springs Resort.  They have an ice museum (complete with an ice bar).  They offer dog team rides and snow machine tours.  An ice fishing guide offers ice fishing.  Snow shoes and cross country skis can be rented.  The SUSV tours are to the top of Charlie Dome.  The photos in Don's post (Don and I have actually met!) was not taken from Charlie Dome but from the resort itself.  Moose Lodge appears to be on the left side of the photo.  And I have no idea about reviews of the locker rooms at the resort.  While twenty years ago the locker room needed to be replace the current locker room is fine.  We stayed at CHSR for four nights at Christmas 2020 and for five nights in March 2021, and I had no issues with the cleanliness or condition of the woman's locker room.  If my husband had any issues with the men's locker room he didn't mention it.  

And yes, there are walking trails at Cream's Field as it is a popular dog walking area year round.  Birch Hill is a cross country ski facility.  

Regarding clothing, you will need winter gear.  While it is rare that Fairbanks will reach -40 F in March, you could experience -20 to -30 F, or you could experience +20 to +30 F.  But in March it is not unusual to have a major snow event in Fairbanks.  Roads are prioritized with major roads being cleared first followed by secondary.  Sidewalks are clear unless we are experiencing a major snow event and priority is given to roads before sidewalks.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Being from the Space Coast, are you really going to be prepared for what environmental conditions you are going to experience? 

I will absolutely be prepared...we aren't FROM the Space Coast. We moved here last year. I have quite a wardrobe of cold weather clothing from living elsewhere. The one thing I don't have currently are snow pants. My lower half changes sizes more frequently than the upper and so that's on the shopping list...

29 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I don't have enough time to address the multitude of issues in post #1 but I will start.

First, what is a "normal rental car?"...You will also need an extension cord so it can be plugged in at night.

Instead of Murphy Dome I would suggest considering the Felix Pedro Monument pullout on the Steese Highway.  

Given what the OP's interests are I think they are cheating themselves by not staying for two or three nights at Chena Hot Springs Resort...We stayed at CHSR for four nights at Christmas 2020 and for five nights in March 2021, and I had no issues with the cleanliness or condition of the woman's locker room.  If my husband had any issues with the men's locker room he didn't mention it.  

And yes, there are walking trails at Cream's Field as it is a popular dog walking area year round.  Birch Hill is a cross country ski facility.  

Regarding clothing, you will need winter gear.  

For a normal rental car, I just was trying to convey that we were not renting a "gravel car" because some of the rental agencies had a specification for a gravel car to go on the various highways that require such a vehicle. Our rental is an SUV and I will have to ask how it is equipped. I will also ask about an extension cord from the hotel or see if we need to bring one...we can...we have a proper one, but if the hotel will supply...

And for the hotel, while staying at Chena may be convenient for certain things...it isn't an option because we aren't paying anything for our hotel because we have points that we are spending so there is no cost for our lodging. Regardless, I'm happy to hear good things about Chena Hot Springs because the reviews were a mixed bag.

The tip about the pullout is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear about. Thank you. While it seems nice to have an aurora tour, one thing that bothers me about such tours is how the tour itself is a set time and there aren't early returns. I'm not the type of person that generally leaves anything early...but I do like the idea of being in control of my night and being able to get around on my own to various places that are good possible viewing places and being able to call it a night if I so desired. It's why I was hoping to hear more about where locals might go...if they were going out on their own.

I take it from what you said about Cream's Field that it wouldn't require snow shoes to walk around there?

I was really hoping you would respond to my thread Northern Aurora...I realize you have a wealth of information since you live there and would greatly appreciate your continued discussion when you have time. I hope that the discussion wouldn't be a negative thing...I didn't realize my OP had issues LOL. I welcome help!

• Thanks 1

No, unless we have just experienced a heavy snow fall you should not need snow shoes to walk the pedestrian trails at Creamer's Field.  Just understand that there are also dog mushing trails for recreational dog mushing and ski joring.

You also threw out the idea of doing the SUSV tour at Chena Hot Springs Resort while not staying there.  I have no idea if they would sell a tour or not.  But, since you are not interested in actually staying there, you would need to drive back to Fairbanks in the darkness.  The CHSR is located at the end of Chena Hot Springs road.  The first 22 or so miles that road winds through rural subdivisions, and then enters the massive Chena Recreation Area.  The various forks of the Chena River wind through this state park and it is prime moose habitat.  Also, the coverage area of Golden Valley Electric Association ends where the state park starts, so there are absolutely no street lights.  Moose tend to like to stand in roadways in the winter, even if we don't have a heavy snow year.  People can die when they hit a moose.  I would be extremely cautious driving that road at night.

But I am curious -- where are you staying?

We’re staying at the Springhill Suites. We have a ton of Marriott points. DH racks them up with business travel and he had a bunch before the pandemic hit. His status was also extended so even though his business travel had slowed down, he still has really high status so we usually get some perks.

I’m not really jazzed about the Chena aurora viewing because of the thought of having to drive home afterwards. I’m especially not enthused hearing about the road. And such a good point about moose on the road. I would not have thought of that.

7 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

First, what is a "normal rental car?"  A friend operated an AirBnB for several years and was surprised when guests would appear with a rental car not equipped with adequate winter tires.  Make sure that car is winterized and ask about the tires.  You will also need an extension cord so it can be plugged in at night.

I have never heard of Aurora Pointe.  I "googled" it and understand it is associated with Taste of Alaska Lodge which I am aware of.  But don't book it until just before you arrive, and make sure you have checked the aurora forecast and local weather forecast.  There are a number of aurora forecast sites, but follow the one offered by the University of Alaska Fairbanks Geophysical Institute (google is your friend).

The Explore Fairbanks website has suggestions for aurora viewing.   Instead of Murphy Dome I would suggest considering the Felix Pedro Monument pullout on the Steese Highway.  

Our OP read "somewhere" that "they" offer snowshoes at the entrance of Denali National Park.  While the park never closes down, I would never suggest that a visitor drive down for the day in the middle of winter.  Very little will be open in terms of food options.  And the road conditions could be challenging, especially in a rental car.

Given what the OP's interests are I think they are cheating themselves by not staying for two or three nights at Chena Hot Springs Resort.  They have an ice museum (complete with an ice bar).  They offer dog team rides and snow machine tours.  An ice fishing guide offers ice fishing.  Snow shoes and cross country skis can be rented.  The SUSV tours are to the top of Charlie Dome.  The photos in Don's post (Don and I have actually met!) was not taken from Charlie Dome but from the resort itself.  Moose Lodge appears to be on the left side of the photo.  And I have no idea about reviews of the locker rooms at the resort.  While twenty years ago the locker room needed to be replace the current locker room is fine.  We stayed at CHSR for four nights at Christmas 2020 and for five nights in March 2021, and I had no issues with the cleanliness or condition of the woman's locker room.  If my husband had any issues with the men's locker room he didn't mention it.  

Regarding clothing, you will need winter gear.  While it is rare that Fairbanks will reach -40 F in March, you could experience -20 to -30 F, or you could experience +20 to +30 F.  But in March it is not unusual to have a major snow event in Fairbanks.  Roads are prioritized with major roads being cleared first followed by secondary.  Sidewalks are clear unless we are experiencing a major snow event and priority is given to roads before sidewalks.

Hi Northern Aurora.  Don here.  You are right about the picture that was taken at the resort.  I realized that after I posted it.  I did visit Charlie's Dome and it was better up there because there were no outside lights but it was also much colder.  I picked a period when there were either 2 or 3 planets in the sky (forget how many) in addition to no moon so it was a great time to visit. 

I loved my winter visit to Fairbanks (have also been there twice in the summer) but I have never been so cold in my life.  Not sure that I could live there.  BTW - does the Howling Dog still have great blues music.  We would never have found it except that the owner of out B&B suggested it.

Best to all.

DON

22 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

We’re staying at the Springhill Suites. ......

I've reached my time limit for today to spend on Cruise Critic hope you see this post.  

Go to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner website (newsminer.com).  Near the bottom of the page, on the right, the"Photo of the Day" is a photo of your hotel with an aurora overhead.  Fairbanks experienced a very strong aurora display on Monday October 11.  The News-Miner asked folks to send in their photos, and have published several pages of them through the week.  This is one still left on the website, so hope you see it before another is posted.  

I did see it! Thank you Northern Aurora! 

I've been reading like crazy about different places to go to see the aurora...and one location was Eielson AFB. They make it sound like you can just go on base and watch for the lights...talking about Mullins Pit and Bear Lake. Can you seriously just go onto the base? 

I agree with it being very cold up there in March. 40+ yrs. ago I snowmachined along the Iditarod race for 10 days. Temps got down to -50f. Also have in the past done some ice fishing at Crosswinds where it was -30f. Have seen the lights and an unreal amount of stars in the sky. Haven't been up there lately in the winter as I am now on bloodthinners. Cold never bothered me but now I start shaking when I open the fridge!!! LOL

On 10/18/2021 at 9:18 PM, donaldsc said:

Hi Northern Aurora.  Don here.  You are right about the picture that was taken at the resort.  I realized that after I posted it.  I did visit Charlie's Dome and it was better up there because there were no outside lights but it was also much colder.  I picked a period when there were either 2 or 3 planets in the sky (forget how many) in addition to no moon so it was a great time to visit. 

I loved my winter visit to Fairbanks (have also been there twice in the summer) but I have never been so cold in my life.  Not sure that I could live there.  BTW - does the Howling Dog still have great blues music.  We would never have found it except that the owner of out B&B suggested it.

Best to all.

DON

Don:  Even fellow Alaskans think that those of us who choose to live north of the Alaska Range are somewhat deranged -- or at least make questionable life decisions.  It is actually a hoot to live here.  Never boring.  I was in Juneau last month and bought some earrings at the SeaAlaska Heritage Center gift store.  In my conversation with the two sales persons it was obvious that I lived in Alaska since we were discussing the beginning of the fourth (yes - fourth) legislative special session.  One woman, who is clearly a SeaAlaska shareholder (for the uninformed that means that she is an Alaskan First Person) asked me where I live, and when she heard the answer you could just see that she was thinking something along the line of "Oh dear, she seemed so normal at first."

But back to the Howling Dog.  They were closed for a time period due to Covid -19 as they just are not a venue compatible with social distancing.  But they have re-opened.  Still offer rhythm and blues Friday (or is it Saturday?) and then rock and roll on Saturday (or Friday?).  

12 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I've been reading like crazy about different places to go to see the aurora...and one location was Eielson AFB. They make it sound like you can just go on base and watch for the lights...talking about Mullins Pit and Bear Lake. Can you seriously just go onto the base? 

Just who is the "they" who "make it sound like you can just go on base and watch for the lights?"   Eielson Air Force base is an active air force base with a F35 fighter squadron in addition to bombers and other aircraft.  The Alaska Air National Guard has a significant presence too.  There are guard posts at the entrances and civilians are not invited to wander around.  Folks who move to interior Alaska can develop a fascination with aurora watching and personnel stationed at Eielson are no exception.  Whatever you read may have been posted by someone stationed at Eielson.  But have you checked the Explore Fairbanks website for their list of potential areas to visit ("Where should I go to see the aurora" is the headline)?  Eielson Air Force base is not listed for a good reason.

Your initial post asked about restaurants.  Soba is a good recommendation.  For downtown sites also consider The Library Bar and Bites.  If you like Thai consider Bahn Thai or the Thai House (Bahn Thai is closer to your hotel but I think Thai House is better).  Our favorite Thai restaurant is actually Lemon Grass which is located fairly close to the University of Alaska Fairbanks.  If you find old posts about Gambardellas it no longer exists (the owners retired) but another restaurant Salty's is in the building; Salty's does nothing for me but we know someone who likes it.

For a nice birthday dinner LaVelles Bistro (which is located in your hotel) is a nice option; LaVelles is one of the first local restaurants to require proof of covid-19 vaccination for patrons, but others will follow.  The Turtle Club is an option for those who crave prime rib.  The Pump House is another option and is located in a historic building.  Years past I would have suggested Pikes Landing but they have changed their menu to essentially casual lunch type fare; their owner has been very candid about the labor shortage the restaurant industry is confronting locally.

All of these restaurants have websites.  With the current labor shortage situation hours may change so check the websites before making plans.

I didn't think it made sense for a civilian to be able to go on base, but at least one travel blog I read talked about going to Transmitter Rd on Eielson on two different nights and how they ended up meeting other aurora chasers from a FB group... There must be something more to that story...but considering how popular it is to see the northern lights Fairbanks, I didn't know if there was an area on base or near base that wasn't past a security point...so that's why I asked.

I think I've got our Aurora viewing somewhat sorted. We have two places where we have a definite place to be to hang out with an available indoor area and restroom access and I've found quite a list of places that are within cell phone range that are away from city lights and possibilities for DH and I to just go to on our own depending on how the forecast is. 

Thank you for the restaurant suggestions. I saw the Library Bar and Bites and read their menu and thought it looked interesting. Very good to get the heads up about how the restaurants are being affected by the labor shortage.