Finally Check-in For 11/6 Reflection - but where are we going?

elaineb

So happy to check in to our cruise today!  So many people cancelled, and many neigh sayers saying this cruise wasn't happening.  But here we are and we are going.  Going somewhere - where we do not know.  My DH said as long as it is warm & there is a hot tub, he will be happy.  

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Just wondering if there will be a return on the port fees.  We don't leave till April, however, I'm seeing a couple of our ports are now off limits .

Technically, yes.

The form is a different issue.

bon voyage

57 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

Just wondering if there will be a return on the port fees.  We don't leave till April, however, I'm seeing a couple of our ports are now off limits .

It will depend in part on whether or not substitute ports are added to your itinerary.

20 hours ago, elaineb said:

My DH said as long as it is warm & there is a hot tub, he will be happy.  

Something else to consider, be aware of possible Legionella on any ship returning to service. From Cruise Hive "The disease is often associated with areas with aerosolized water, such as jacuzzies and fountains. Still, it is also at home when water remains stagnant for a long time, such as when a cabin is unoccupied for some time, and water in the tap remains stagnant."

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Something else to consider, be aware of possible Legionella on any ship returning to service. From Cruise Hive "The disease is often associated with areas with aerosolized water, such as jacuzzies and fountains. Still, it is also at home when water remains stagnant for a long time, such as when a cabin is unoccupied for some time, and water in the tap remains stagnant."

Besides adding more anxiety to the mix, exactly what is anyone supposed to do with this information?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Besides adding more anxiety to the mix, exactly what is anyone supposed to do with this information?  

Do what we did. We were booked on the Reflection for Thanksgiving 2021 and switched to the already sailing Equinox (or Edge) and rebooked the Reflection for April 2022. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

Pretty sure that during the ramp up, all cabins will be cleaned, which generally entails running water. I'd be shocked to find out that there is stagnant water in any of the cabins.

I guess running water is not enough. Cases occurred one in July, one in August. CDC thought this might happen; https://www.cdc.gov/legionella/wmp/cruise-ship-operators/index.html. (Carnival Horizon) NOT Celebrity.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Another great CC poster chengkp75 posted "The most common culprit is the shower head, as water and air exist here when it is off, and legionella can grow there.  Then, when you turn on the shower, it aerosolizes the water and bacteria, and you inhale it.  This is why CDC requires, in their VSP, that all shower heads be taken off and sanitized twice a year.  I suspect that this sanitizing should have been done prior to restart, yet wasn't."

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Before Edge restarted Captain Kate posted a TikTok of staff going around and running water in bathroom sinks, showers and flushing toilets.  I believe they had a weekly schedule for each deck and cabin.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In another post chengkp75 added "Another place it was very common is the hot tubs, which is why many ships, if not most, have disabled the air jets on the hot tubs, as the water in the hot tub is at the perfect temperature for propagation of legionella.  If the hot tubs are not super chlorinated properly, or often enough, the piping can grow a "biofilm" layer on the inside surface, and the bacteria can "hide" under this film from the chlorine in the water."

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I happen to know that the crew was required to go through every single room and flush the toilets, run the faucets, run the shower, etc, DAILY while the Reflection was in storage.  A friend told me about the chore.  Every room, every day.  They wanted to be absoutely certain nothing unwanted would grow  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1