Toronto airport delays on return to Canada

archer_310

We were unable to get a direct flight to Ottawa from Fort Lauderdale following our upcoming cruise and have to connect in Toronto. The more I read about the zoo there, the more I'm tempted to spend debarkation night in Fort Lauderdale and take a direct flight which is available the following day.

• Like 7

My wife and I renewed our NEXUS cards earlier this year. They are now valid until 2026 and there is nothing “conditional” about them.  Was all done online; no new interview so not sure what others are referring to about theirs being conditional..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We were unable to get a direct flight to Ottawa from Fort Lauderdale following our upcoming cruise and have to connect in Toronto. The more I read about the zoo there, the more I'm tempted to spend debarkation night in Fort Lauderdale and take a direct flight which is available the following day.

I have always avoided Toronto whenever possible, preferring to connect through Montreal. Our next cruise is in late March and if no direct flights at that time I will find something through Montreal.  Under normal circumstances I would likely have already booked my flights but with Canadian airlines cancelling and changing flights constantly as they ramp up after the pandemic I am not willing to take chances yet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thon said:

My wife and I renewed our NEXUS cards earlier this year. They are now valid until 2026 and there is nothing “conditional” about them.  Was all done online; no new interview so not sure what others are referring to about theirs being conditional..

Interesting. When I go the US DHS Trusted Traveller Program page and sign in to my account, there's no option to renew my NEXUS card as it says I already have a conditional renewal, dated April 2020 and now good for 24 months, so approved until April next year, by which time they will hopefully be back to properly interviewing or automatically renewing without interviews. Any chance you have a link to the exact site you used to do this automatic renewal?  Going to the CBSA NEXUS website and selecting "Renew Online Now" simply shunts me back to the TTP site in the US telling me I'm conditionally approved and to wait for an interview.

23 minutes ago, thon said:

I have always avoided Toronto whenever possible, preferring to connect through Montreal. Our next cruise is in late March and if no direct flights at that time I will find something through Montreal.  Under normal circumstances I would likely have already booked my flights but with Canadian airlines cancelling and changing flights constantly as they ramp up after the pandemic I am not willing to take chances yet.

Connecting through Montreal is always an option, but usually we've just driven to Montreal rather than take a connecting flight when we've used YUL.

49 minutes ago, thon said:

Same here....online renewal, no interview.   Ours is good until '23...so this was in '18.  We found it great driving across the border....when we COULD drive across the border...LOL.  Through the airport the lines were long on occasion with many users at one time, and machines not working was a pain.  I understand they've been upgraded so that will be an improvement.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting. When I go the US DHS Trusted Traveller Program page and sign in to my account, there's no option to renew my NEXUS card as it says I already have a conditional renewal, dated April 2020 and now good for 24 months, so approved until April next year, by which time they will hopefully be back to properly interviewing or automatically renewing without interviews. Any chance you have a link to the exact site you used to do this automatic renewal?  Going to the CBSA NEXUS website and selecting "Renew Online Now" simply shunts me back to the TTP site in the US telling me I'm conditionally approved and to wait for an interview.

DW and I originally obtained our NEXUS cards in 2013 and renewed them online in 2018 using the webpage you cite in your post. While some people have reported being required to attend an interview for the renewal, the webpage made it clear than this was not an across the board requirement. In our case, no interview.

This is just a guess, but going by the April 2020 date of your conditional renewal and numerous posts by US NEXUS holders that I've read, I suspect that with the impact of the pandemic, the DHS decided to give everyone with an expiring card a conditional 2 year renewal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

DW and I originally obtained our NEXUS cards in 2013 and renewed them online in 2018 using the webpage you cite in your post. While some people have reported being required to attend an interview for the renewal, the webpage made it clear than this was not an across the board requirement. In our case, no interview.

This is just a guess, but going by the April 2020 date of your conditional renewal and numerous posts by US NEXUS holders that I've read, I suspect that with the impact of the pandemic, the DHS decided to give everyone with an expiring card a conditional 2 year renewal. 

Possible.  But ours were due to expire this year (mine in May 2021) so we renewed them before the month they expired. Renewal was for 5 years. So goodness knows what they’re doing.  But it sure is nice to have the card, even for travel within Canada as you get VIP treatment at the CATSA security screening too.

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It sure seems to have everything to do with the cards expiring, and needing to be renewed, right in the middle of the pandemic. I was just abit confused by the previous post that clearly stated they had managed to get a full renewal until 2026.

The last communication we received from the CBSA on NEXUS was April 13, 2021, and it pretty much stated exactly what I've experienced so far, referencing the temporary extension of our card while the renewal is pending:

Finally, NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres remain temporarily closed and enrollment interviews are not being conducted at this time. The enrollment centres will remain closed until the travel restrictions at the Canada-United States border are lifted. As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be cancelled, and applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume enrollment operations. Further updates on the re-opening of the enrollment centres will be shared on the CBSA website.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will be granted an extension of their membership benefits. Therefore, please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges while your renewal is pending.

1 hour ago, archer_310 said:

Sorry for not explaining further as to what I was asking.  The website that Hancogran recommended lists the current wait times at various airports.  I've been monitoring them and was just confused as to which one was for people returning to Canada.  I think it's probably T3 Canada, but not sure.  I am on Westjet, so yes, Terminal 3.  Most I've seen so far is a 15 minute wait, but I'll see what happens this weekend.

That link is for security screening waiting times for departing passengers, not for customs arrivals. Totally different.

Edited by gnome12

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

AFAIK, it should also still apply to the Global Entry line at Port Everglades, which can be a huge time saver.

Yes, Global Entry privileges are included with NEXUS.  I have used it at PEV a number of times over the years.  👍

Since I never went to the US, I’ve never needed to have one or even look up the information.   I managed to read up on it and saw that no way in h - e - double hockey sticks I would be able to get one.   

If Toronto is this crazy now, I can just imagine what it will be like on 22 Dec.    

Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

@Fouremco   I didn’t see any direct flights.   I think your idea is maybe a way to go.   

2 hours ago, thon said:

My wife and I renewed our NEXUS cards earlier this year. They are now valid until 2026 and there is nothing “conditional” about them.  Was all done online; no new interview so not sure what others are referring to about theirs being conditional.

In renewals, NEXUS/ US Homeland Security has the discretion to confer a conditionally approved status, which necessitates an interview.   

My last renewal was in the fall of 2019. It was a very opaque process, and NEXUS' communication was lousy even then (pre-Covid).    They're not big on emails:  I had no choice but to continuously monitor my renewal application at https://ttp.dhs.gov/ to learn my status and whether they wanted me to show up for an interview on short notice.  (Happy ending: they didn't require an interview). 

Even so, NEXUS is still worth pursuing.

Edited by lots-of-km2

3 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Since I never went to the US, I’ve never needed to have one or even look up the information.   I managed to read up on it and saw that no way in h - e - double hockey sticks I would be able to get one.   

If Toronto is this crazy now, I can just imagine what it will be like on 22 Dec.    

Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

@Fouremco   I didn’t see any direct flights.   I think your idea is maybe a way to go.   

There are a few hotels and motels right by the airport that will let you leave your car while you are travelling as long as you book a night there. They also offer a shuttle to the airport. We've done that a few times, particularly when we've had an early flight out of YUL.

We've also looked at taking the train, as there is a stop by the airport with a shuttle from the train station to YUL. So far, we've just driven there, but the train is always an option if you don't like winter driving.

That said, while we are seeing a lot of comments from those flying into Toronto, it's quite possible that Montreal is experiencing similar issues.

Nexus isn't only helpful if you are travelling to the US. It generally (although not always) gets you special lines for security with fewer requirements to pull things out. You can also use Nexus any time you return from any other country and have to go through customs and immigration at the airport. There are separate Nexus lines and Nexus kiosks that can save you a lot of time on arrival.

And, if travelling to the US you get TSA precheck, and Global Entry. Nexus costs US$50 for 5 years; Global Entry which includes TSA precheck but not the other Nexus benefits is, I believe, US$85 for 5 years.

Edited by gnome12

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

There are a few hotels and motels right by the airport that will let you leave your car while you are travelling as long as you book a night there. They also offer a shuttle to the airport. We've done that a few times, particularly when we've had an early flight out of YUL.

We've also looked at taking the train, as there is a stop by the airport with a shuttle from the train station to YUL. So far, we've just driven there, but the train is always an option if you don't like winter driving.

That said, while we are seeing a lot of comments from those flying into Toronto, it's quite possible that Montreal is experiencing similar issues.

There are no direct flights to Ottawa with Air Canada or Westjet.   I know the train from Montreal to Ottawa.   Right now I am flying through Toronto and have the second last flight to Ottawa.   I didn’t make my booking until 1705 out of Fort Lauderdale.    What is the earliest I could book out of Fort Lauderdale on day of disembarkation?    

44 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

What is the earliest I could book out of Fort Lauderdale on day of disembarkation?    

PEV is 10 minutes from the airport and there is a constant supply of taxis on hand.  Providing you have your negative PCR test from the ship I would feel comfortable with any flights from 11:00 am on.  In fact, if you can get a flight out of FLL before noon you will minimize the pain of being there as it is notoriously busy with minimal places to sit.

1 hour ago, Evilmuffin said:

There are no direct flights to Ottawa with Air Canada or Westjet.   I know the train from Montreal to Ottawa.   Right now I am flying through Toronto and have the second last flight to Ottawa.   I didn’t make my booking until 1705 out of Fort Lauderdale.    What is the earliest I could book out of Fort Lauderdale on day of disembarkation?    

It varies from day to day. For example, I can't get a direct AC flight on disembarkation day, but there is one two days later. The earliest flight that I would aim for out of FLL is at 11:20, but I don't know the date of your return or what options are available that day.

FWIW, on the 6:00 PM CTV news this evening, there was a story on a growing number of flights to and from Ottawa. Maybe this will include more direct flights from FLL. 

• Like 1

I had initially booked a non-stop return flight from FLL to YOW on Air Canada with HAL Flightease. But then AC cancelled it and now connecting through Toronto as well. We have a 2.5 hour connection. I didn't think that would be a problem but now I'm not sure.

Maybe we'll get lucky and AC will reinstate the non-stop flight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, OVgirl said:

I had initially booked a non-stop return flight from FLL to YOW on Air Canada with HAL Flightease. But then AC cancelled it and now connecting through Toronto as well. We have a 2.5 hour connection. I didn't think that would be a problem but now I'm not sure.

Maybe we'll get lucky and AC will reinstate the non-stop flight.

I'll keep checking weekly. My return flight only has 1.5 hours for the connection, and even though it's mid-afternoon on a weekday, that's looking increasingly risky. 

On 10/22/2021 at 1:14 PM, LucasLounger1 said:

We flew back from France to Pearson last Sunday.  We were held on the plane and were only allowed off 50 at a time.  Then when we got to passport control/customs, it was a total zoo. An angry mob - with people verbally abusing staff. What a way to end a holiday.  I think it took us an hour to get through that. 

Staff only took the most cursory glance at our ArriveCan receipts. 

What time of day did you land at Pearson?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, Fouremco said:

I’ve had my card since 2009 so my first renewal was in 2014.  I was required to attend another interview while my husband was not.  In 2019 my husband was approved in a few days while I received notice three months later (June) that my approval was conditional pending another interview.  In June 2020 (a full year past the one year conditional approval) they sent me notice that they had approved my renewal and my card was in the mail.  We are both US NEXUS card holders.  

TLDR:  It’s possible that some conditional approvals will be converted to approved.

25 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I’ve had my card since 2009 so my first renewal was in 2014.  I was required to attend another interview while my husband was not.  In 2019 my husband was approved in a few days while I received notice three months later (June) that my approval was conditional pending another interview.  In June 2020 (a full year past the one year conditional approval) they sent me notice that they had approved my renewal and my card was in the mail.  We are both US NEXUS card holders.  

TLDR:  It’s possible that some conditional approvals will be converted to approved.

Definitely hoping that will be the case as my conditional approval expires in April 2022.  I can only imagine the huge backlog of new applications and renewal interviews they would have to plow through if they decided to re-interview already conditionally-approved re-applicants.