OBC and Sail & Sign

DuhDude

Wanted to re-ask this question now the cruising has resumed. I know we usually add $200 cash to out S&S card when we board the ship. However, this time we have 600 OBC. For those who have recently sailed...

First, will this $600 be on our account the moment we get on the ship?

Second, since we have this credit, are we still required to add money to our S&S or can we add it at a later time if we use the OBC?

The on board credit does not show up on your account.  You will still need to add money to your sail and sign account so you can charge.  As you make charges, the obc will be used.  I would put at least $ 100 on your account to start.  

35 minutes ago, DuhDude said:

Wanted to re-ask this question now the cruising has resumed. I know we usually add $200 cash to out S&S card when we board the ship. However, this time we have 600 OBC. For those who have recently sailed...

First, will this $600 be on our account the moment we get on the ship?

Second, since we have this credit, are we still required to add money to our S&S or can we add it at a later time if we use the OBC?

Why do you not use a credit card and get points? You card will not be charged till all of your OBC is used up.

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Why do you not use a credit card and get points? You card will not be charged till all of your OBC is used up.

The very first time we ever sailed, I used my credit card and added $400 to the card and only spent $370 roughly. At the end of the cruise there was apparently an issue and my card was charged $2400 and it was held for 14 days. It ended up being refunded and got an apology about the error but ever since then, I refuse to tie my credit card to the ship. Once was enough for me.

There is no requirement to put money on your account whatsoever.  There never has been.  The $200 number is simply a recommended amount.  

The OBC should show on your S&S as soon as you board (mine always has before).  If you don't want to add anything to your S&S account, don't.  You should still be able to spend whatever you need to when you board.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not everyone has or wants credit cards.  There are those people who want to use cash so as not to tie up their funds in their bank accounts with holds created when using a debit card.

Just now, DuhDude said:

The very first time we ever sailed, I used my credit card and added $400 to the card and only spent $370 roughly. At the end of the cruise there was apparently an issue and my card was charged $2400 and it was held for 14 days. It ended up being refunded and got an apology about the error but ever since then, I refuse to tie my credit card to the ship. Once was enough for me.

Mistakes do happen and now you can check it every day in your room. We do 4-7 cruises a year since 1994 and only had one instance that they held us back saying the card was no good. Instead of them entering it again they held us from getting off of the ship. So as I waited they entered it again and it went through. I was not happy about that but it was a problem only one out of a lot of cruises.

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Always someone who thinks that way.

Yes.  Because, oh I don't know, it's true???

I, personally, don't have or want to have credit cards.  Cash is king.  If I can't afford to pay cash for it, I can't afford it. 

There are people who are like me and people who, for one reason or another, cannot get a credit card.

Edited by Schoifmom

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

I, personally, don't have or want to have credit cards.  Cash is king.  If I can't afford to pay cash for it, I can't afford it. 

There are people who are like me and people who, for one reason or another, cannot get a credit card.

just to clarify a misconception. Many (I hope most but that might be too far) people who use credit cards feel the same way that if they can’t afford to pay cash for it, they can’t afford it. 

using credit cards instead of cashing (and then paying them off because you always had the ‘cash’ for it) to gather points is an entirely different thing. I get several hundred dollars a year for free due to charging everything.

I would never recommend someone travel internationally without a credit card. In the US if you have an accident/severe illness, and go to the hospital, they will treat you regardless of your insurance or ability to pay. If you have a heart attack or break a leg in most caribbean countries, if you don’t have access to thousands of dollars upfront (travel insure usually reimbursed you, doesn’t pay upfront), then you get sent away.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

just to clarify a misconception. Many (I hope most but that might be too far) people who use credit cards feel the same way that if they can’t afford to pay cash for it, they can’t afford it. 

using credit cards instead of cashing (and then paying them off because you always had the ‘cash’ for it) to gather points is an entirely different thing. I get several hundred dollars a year for free due to charging everything.

I would never recommend someone travel internationally without a credit card. In the US if you have an accident/severe illness, and go to the hospital, they will treat you regardless of your insurance or ability to pay. If you have a heart attack or break a leg in most caribbean countries, if you don’t have access to thousands of dollars upfront (travel insure usually reimbursed you, doesn’t pay upfront), then you get sent away.

I should probably clarify, I have a credit card available for emergencies.  I choose not to use it for anything else ... ever.  I also agree that it is foolish not to travel without either a credit card or sufficient available liquid assets to handle any emergency. 

I tend to get a little upset with people who seem to insinuate that people who don't use credit cards for their S&S are somehow "less than" those who do.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with using cash for your S&S account.  For most people this is a budget management tool.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Cash is king.  If I can't afford to pay cash for it, I can't afford it. 

Haha.....not any more. Many places, especially delivery services, are going cashless. Doesn't matter if you can afford it or not, they don't want your cash. I agree that if you can't afford something you shouldn't buy it period but I don't need to have cash to follow that protocol and I get gift cards from my CC usage.

I would venture to say the "cash is king" mantra hasn't been true for quite a while actually. I remember back in 1988 I tried to rent a car at an airport and even though I had $2,000 cash in hand, I was denied because I didn't have a CC. Had to get my mom to pick me and my new bride up from the airport. How embarrassing. As soon as I got stationed in the States in 1989 the first thing I did was apply for and get a CC.

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Not everyone has or wants credit cards.  There are those people who want to use cash so as not to tie up their funds in their bank accounts with holds created when using a debit card.

You do realize in the next 5-10 years there will be no cash used?

2 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Haha.....not any more. Many places, especially delivery services, are going cashless. Doesn't matter if you can afford it or not, they don't want your cash. I agree that if you can't afford something you shouldn't buy it period but I don't need to have cash to follow that protocol and I get gift cards from my CC usage.

1 minute ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Using a debit card IS using cash (using the money you have, not money you borrow).  There is nothing wrong with using a credit card, if that is your choice.  That doesn't mean that it has to be everyone's choice.

4 minutes ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Not really sure I believe that but I guess the possibility exists. It's easier for the government to track CC and DB usage than cash. Guess a lot depends on who can hold onto office longer.

5 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Using a debit card IS using cash (using the money you have, not money you borrow).  There is nothing wrong with using a credit card, if that is your choice.  That doesn't mean that it has to be everyone's choice.

I am fully aware of what a DB is and how it operates. I also know it does have the federal regulation protection of a CC and therefore I refuse to own a DB. Never have and never will. If a place won't accept a CC or cash then I'll take my business elsewhere.

The borrowing on a CC is free of charge (to me) as long as I pay in full every month (only paid interest 1 time in 32 years of CC ownership).

Edited by Computer Nerd

3 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I am fully aware of what a DB is and how it operates. I also know it does have the federal regulation protection of a CC and therefore I refuse to own a DB. Never have and never will. If a place won't accept a CC or cash then I'll take my business elsewhere.

The borrowing on a CC is free of charge (to me) as long as I pay in full every month (only paid interest 1 time in 32 years of CC ownership).

And that is your choice.  My objection is with those people on this forum that every time someone says that they are using cash for their S&S, they have to chime in with a criticism of that choice.

Just now, Schoifmom said:

And that is your choice.  My objection is with those people on this forum that every time someone says that they are using cash for their S&S, they have to chime in with a criticism of that choice.

I haven't criticized anyone for using cash. Personally, I think it's a pain to do but it's your choice to do so, so if you want to run down to GS a couple of times a cruise and stand in line to add more cash, please do. I just know I'll never use a DB (because I'll never own one) and I won't do cash because it's a pain. Plus, I get reward points with my CC and it's an interest free loan since I always pay in full every month.

3 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I haven't criticized anyone for using cash. Personally, I think it's a pain to do but it's your choice to do so, so if you want to run down to GS a couple of times a cruise and stand in line to add more cash, please do. I just know I'll never use a DB (because I'll never own one) and I won't do cash because it's a pain. Plus, I get reward points with my CC and it's an interest free loan since I always pay in full every month.

I didn't say that you did.  There are others though, that are quick to chime in and criticize.  Everyone has to find the financial vehicle that works the best for them.  Some people don't have the discipline to have a credit card and for some people it is a matter of principle.  

9 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I didn't say that you did.  There are others though, that are quick to chime in and criticize.  Everyone has to find the financial vehicle that works the best for them.  Some people don't have the discipline to have a credit card and for some people it is a matter of principle.  

Principle???

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Not saying it is everyone's choice, but cash will be a dinosaur sooner than you think. Things will be strictly digital within the next 10 years. There will be no coins and no cash. You will have to get by with a phone or some type of payment card. 

23 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

You do whatever you want. That is a for sure. However your thinking is ancient for sure. I use credit cards to protect any purchases and or those that want to rip you off. I have the bank to back me up and handle any problems. They always have. You pay cash for a cruise? Really? Once you pay cash. It's gone good by money. I pay our cards off every month and get bonuses from all of them. Gives me a nice neat running of what I have purchased and paid for. One card I have we use it mainly for all cruises because it has a big pay back of 5-1/4% plus travel insurance included. Something cash is useless for. So you use your cash, good luck with that. You are one of few that still do that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I should probably clarify, I have a credit card available for emergencies.  I choose not to use it for anything else ... ever.  I also agree that it is foolish not to travel without either a credit card or sufficient available liquid assets to handle any emergency. 

I tend to get a little upset with people who seem to insinuate that people who don't use credit cards for their S&S are somehow "less than" those who do.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with using cash for your S&S account.  For most people this is a budget management tool.

We have a few credit cards, but they are not relied upon for use on the ship. I agree 100% with what you said. There is nothing wrong with funding your S&S with cash. We use gift cards. As far as cash back, yes we have one that we use for that. Typically get around $150 or so at the end of the year. Nice perk. I don't focus every dime I spend around it though.

And to answer the OPs question, the OBC will be available when you board. Nothing additional HAS to be added. Cash, credit, or otherwise.

Edited by cruizinisthebest
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

You do whatever you want. That is a for sure. However your thinking is ancient for sure. I use credit cards to protect any purchases and or those that want to rip you off. I have the bank to back me up and handle any problems. They always have. You pay cash for a cruise? Really? Once you pay cash. It's gone good by money. I pay our cards off every month and get bonuses from all of them. Gives me a nice neat running of what I have purchased and paid for. One card I have we use it mainly for all cruises because it has a big pay back of 5-1/4% plus travel insurance included. Something cash is useless for. So you use your cash, good luck with that. You are one of few that still do that.

By the way. We do use cash when needed. Wife buys lotto tickets once a week.