Cruise capacity rates

Djb4CC

Just wondering if anyone who is currently on a HAL ship, or has been in the last month or two, could advise on the capacity rate on the cruises?  

Basically # of passengers divided by normal ship capacity.

Going on the NA mid-Nov and just wondering what to expect.  I would love it to be 50%, but fully expect it to be in the 75-80% range.

We came off a cruise 3 weeks ago and our ship was at about 1/3 capacity. It sure was nice! Your sailing should be relatively low, too.  I believe capacities will inch upward until maybe next summer when they should be back to normal ... pending another pandemic!

• Thanks 1

I think passenger counts are being limited by very soft demand in the short run.  If you go out into next year ,thats not the case.  Just pull up a cruise going in Nov. and you will see virtually every room category has availability. 

@Djb4CC We are on the same cruise as you and are also hoping for low capacity. We were on a November 2017 cruise after hurricanes Irma and Maria hit Puerto Rico. The stop at PR was cancelled and apparently many passengers cancelled because of this. Our ship was just over 50% capacity  and I can’t tell you how nice it was! I’m ready for the cruise industry to bounce back, but my selfish side wants another low-capacity cruise!

• Thanks 1

We just got off the Oct 17-24 Mexico cruise on the Koningsdam.  It was just over 50% full.  There were around 1,400 passengers out of 2,600 max.  The workers were thrilled to be be back on the job.  More importantly, the bands, piano players & dancers were all top notch from prior cruises.  I think the cruise lines are anticipating higher and growing capacities from now thru the beginning of summer 2022. MHO.

Some things to consider is the use   of future cruise credits now on the early stages   of cruise line recovery ;but ,what happens when those future cruise credits are used up ?  Since ships are sailing at less than capacity now ,then when the FCCs are used up  who are buying cruises ,at the  higher prices than pre pandemic ?

Seems to me that  all the cruise lines are going to have to be more creative in their marketing & cruise pricing  to attract people to vacation with a cruise vs other venues

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam.  3 different crew members asked, 3 different answers. (husband is weird about statistics but crew member with the coolest uniform said the passenger manifest was 1240)  Bottom line is that me and DH had the aft pool to ourselves most of the time, there was no waiting for more than a minute to be served,  and the bar crew in the Blues Club did more dancing than serving!  It was awesome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sherryf said:

We are sailing over Christmas, Dec. 19 - 26.  Can we expect capacities to still be low then, or is the ship likely to be pretty full since it's Christmas?  

3weeks ago a HAL rep from ship services told me that the line was planning on sailing at reduced capacity until at least April. Not sure if that means because of demand, but I think some of it is HAL controlling access.  Unfortunately, I don't think it means we can all get upgraded ;)

The September 25 sailing of the Nieuw Amsterdam to Alaska had about 1400 people on it, which works out to about 66 percent. My guess is that the numbers of people sailing for the next while will depend on a number of factors, including the date, destination, and length of the cruise. Also probably will depend on how rapidly the COVID vaccine for children under the age of 12 becomes available, since holiday cruises frequently include children, who without the vaccine, cannot sail.

We are currently on K’dam for our second week. The numbers given to us by the Captain were  1500 for our first week, and 1600 this week. ( 2650 I believe is capacity). 88 of us were onboard last week and continued onward. It was inferred that the lower numbers are more a product of lack of bookings rather than by restrictions. The ship is pleasantly uncrowded.