New Option available for Covid Testing from home

cruzincanuck

Just saw the following on the Air Canada website:

Travel Ready hub | Air Canada

Aeroplan members can buy kits

Switch Health Rapid Antigen Test Kit
A portable, self-administered test that can be completed from the comfort of your home or accommodation around the world*—no need to send to a lab for processing. Get your result in about 30 minutes with an official electronic report suitable for travel. Each rapid antigen test kit contains two tests.

Nice new option for us 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

According to the website:

This test kit is designed for travellers. The rapid antigen test is accepted for entry into the United States, amongst other countries.

Each kit contains two tests, which can be conducted independently, and are self-administered tests observed via a telehealth experience.

Test for presence of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, which causes the disease COVID-19. The Rapid Antigen Test Kit is an antigen diagnostic test and does not require laboratory processing.

This is amazing!

This is similar to the emed tests that Americans are using because of testing issues in the states.

If I still need to test on Christmas Eve I am for sure buying this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Third thread on this.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Yeah it is hard to follow this forum effectively when the same information is being posted on multiple posts.

I was just sharing info as I was thrilled to have seen these home tests.   I will not be commenting further on this thread.  Do your research to make sure that they are acceptable by the cruise lines .

Be kind  it costs nothing 

Happy Cruising

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, cruzincanuck said:

I was just sharing info as I was thrilled to have seen these home tests.   I will not be commenting further on this thread.  Do your research to make sure that they are acceptable by the cruise lines .

Be kind  it costs nothing 

Happy Cruising

Don’t worry what others say.  This is the first thread I’ve seen on the subject so I appreciate you posting.  If the mods want, they will merge it with whichever threads the other posters are talking about.

• Like 5

I emailed the company to ask about whether it was approved by the FDA.

This was the response.

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Switch Health.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Please Always check with your airline for what tests are appropriate for your travel needs. We are unable to offer refunds once an order for a Home Collection Kit has been placed, as Switch Health Collection or Test Kits are non-refundable.

Best regards,

Switch Health

• Thanks 3

I emailed the company to ask about whether it was approved by the FDA.

This was the response.

Good Day,

Thank you for contacting Switch Health.

Our kits are manufactured by Lucira Health, a medical technology company with the first and only FDA, EUA, and HC authorized single-use molecular test for at-home use. This disposable test kit, known as the Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kit, is able to detect DNA and RNA of infectious diseases, like COVID-19. Lucira Check It COVID-19 Test Kits provide PCR quality molecular accuracy in 30 minutes or less.

Please Always check with your airline for what tests are appropriate for your travel needs. We are unable to offer refunds once an order for a Home Collection Kit has been placed, as Switch Health Collection or Test Kits are non-refundable.

Best regards,

Switch Health

There is a note on the antigen order page that the test is accepted for US entry. https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, broberts said:

There is a note on the antigen order page that the test is accepted for US entry. https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

Yes, it seems to be misleading.  When I asked switchhealth about it, they said the following:

"Okay I have checked as well, and it seems you are correct, only the RT-PCR from Bio sensor is approved but not the antigen test."

They suggested that I contact Air Canada as it is a joint initiative with them. 

I guess it is a bit of caveat emptor.    You may be fine, but the CDC website is clear that any home antigen test must be approved by the FDA.   While this may be a great solution, not sure I want to take a chance on the antigen test administered from home.  The problem is that if they don't accept it you won't know until you get to the airport, which will be too late to get another test.

33 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Yes, it seems to be misleading.  When I asked switchhealth about it, they said the following:

"Okay I have checked as well, and it seems you are correct, only the RT-PCR from Bio sensor is approved but not the antigen test."

I guess it is a bit of caveat emptor.    You may be fine, but the CDC website is clear that any home antigen test must be approved by the FDA.   While this may be a great solution, not sure I want to take a chance on the antigen test administered from home.  The problem is that if they don't accept it you won't know until you get to the airport, which will be too late to get another test.

And now we have proof that the company has given two different pieces of information as what they told me and told you are different.

Great. Like we need more stress in trying to travel 😞

13 minutes ago, tert333 said:

According to an answer at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081 the antigen test must be approved for use by the relevant national health authority of the country in which the test is administered. There is no requirement to use an FDA approved test according to answer.

"You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order."

Hmm - Link says "Sold out - Join the waitlist".  We depart in 5 days so was thinking maybe expedite an order for this, but not going to happen.  We are back to our previous laboursome and more costly testing plans for in Florida.

Don

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

According to an answer at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#anchor_1635127081 the antigen test must be approved for use by the relevant national health authority of the country in which the test is administered. There is no requirement to use an FDA approved test according to answer.

"You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order."

So lets add to the confusion and frustration 🙂

The antigen test sold by SwitchHealth is a self test and the CDC says:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

So lets add to the confusion and frustration 🙂

The antigen test sold by SwitchHealth is a self test and the CDC says:

You can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

It seems from the CDC website, a test that is performed as a self-test has more restrictions than the same one performed at a clinic.   I am sure there must be a reason.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tert333 said:

It seems from the CDC website, a test that is performed as a self-test has more restrictions than the same one performed at a clinic.   I am sure there must be a reason.....

Seems so, even if the local national health authority has approved the test.

Switch Health really should remove "The rapid antigen test is accepted for entry into the United States, amongst other countries." from the product description page. It appears to be very misleading.

• Like 1

I don't care about the antigen test to get to the US -this is cheaply and easily available in Canada - what I think is great is the PCR test that you can administer for re-entry back into Canada!  that could be very useful in my opinion!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Ordered the antigen test kit on Monday evening, it was shipped yesterday, and delivered by Purolator this morning.  Better yet, the expiry date is 2023.

That expiry date is so much better than those being sold in the US. Good to hear.

• Like 2

Rapid Antigen Test Kits are readily available on the Switch Health/Aeroplan site. 

COVID-19 RT-LAMP Test Kits for re-entry into Canada have been sold out for a number of days already, with no indication as to  when they'll be restocked.