Name on vaccine card

tsxgray1

We are hoping to cruise again really soon.  We are both fully vaccinated but my husband used the first name he goes by rather than what is on his passport on his vaccine card.  It is nearly impossible to change his vaccine card. Even if the last name and birth date on the card match his passport, will he have any problems cruising or even flying? TIA.

I'm curious about the answer to this one also.  My passport, SSA card, drivers license, etc all show my full middle name.  However CMS (Medicare) only shows middle initial, and my health-care provider (I'm fully vaccinated plus booster) refuses to change my name in their records to anything other than what Medicare shows.  I have sent a few requests via Certified Mail, pleading with CMS to show my full middle name but they refuse.  Also sent request to SSA via Certified Mail asking them to have CMS show exactly what is on my SSA card.  No luck.  I'm hoping to fly Delta on Friday and board Koningsdam this-coming Saturday, so we'll see what happens.

I doubt that anyone can definitively answer that question for you unless they personally experienced the same problem.  But, if his name is William and he has Bill on the card I doubt that would raise an eyebrow.

It might be interesting to hear just how closely they're looked at.  I would think a simple explanation by your husband would suffice, especially if all his other info matches what's on the card. 

AV8rix - my middle name is fully written out on some cards and my middle initial is on others, I've never had a problem.  Some applications don't even ask for your full middle name.  

• Thanks 1

Common nicknames or short forms of names, like the Bill/William that @Cruise NH mentioned, are generally acceptable. (I've had a couple different jobs where I had to verify IDs) However, someone named Jonathan that goes by Skip could be problematic.

@AV8rix you should be okay with just the middle initial since it matches your full middle name. If you're flying out of SeaTac they will scan your ID and your flight info, etc. is all encoded. 

@tsxgray1, if your DH has another form of ID like a driver's license that uses the name he goes by, I'd suggest bringing that along with the passport.  

• Thanks 1

My husband uses Steven instead of his legal name Stephen.  His cruise was booked under Steven, but his passport and driver's license said Steven.  Once before 9/11 when we were cruising and checking in it caused a problem.  They did let it pass, however after looking at both.  We made sure we didn't make that mistake again.  I am sure after 9/11 it would of caused quite a problem.  

We are sailing within the next 2 weeks and my DW's passport has her middle name.  Her driver's license has her maiden name for her middle name.  She has had issues in the past when traveling internationally so we always take both ID's.  Her Vaccine Card has just a middle initial but it matches her driver's license and not her Passport.  Worried that it might cause issues but hoping that taking both ID's will resolve any questions at boarding. I will be happy to report back once we get to embarkation.

I don't know if other states do this, but here in California we have the ability to download a QR code from the state vaccination registry.  They won't send you the QR code unless your identity is matched up via phone number or email address.

It's just another way to bring the loose threads together, FWIW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I don't know if other states do this, but here in California we have the ability to download a QR code from the state vaccination registry.  They won't send you the QR code unless your identity is matched up via phone number or email address.

It's just another way to bring the loose threads together, FWIW.

I don't see a way to get an electronic copy where we live.  I have just requested a replacement card with the correct initial so we will see if that results in a copy with her middle initial matching her passport.

My last name is legally hypenated on my passport and driver's license but not ony covid vaccination card.  Also I finally got my name corrected in the CA data base with my pharmacy but they had to leave off one letter of my first name as there was not room.  Odd my name isn't as long as some.  Anyway I went to Hawaii recently and no problem with all the documentation.  

I think if the name is close and you have the photo I'd etc you should be good to go.  Hopefully won't be an issue on Sunday when I board.

Now if the name is way off like the Skip example above not sure how that will go.

• Like 1

I was first alerted to this problem when boarding a domestic flight in September.  My ticket was booked in the name that appears on my passport, which shows a different middle name than on my driver's license.  Fortunately, the gate agent accepted my military ID, which matches my passport, as identification.

However, my covid vax card is in the name that appears on my DL, not on my passport, and that has ramifications for international travel.  It is one thing to carry extra documentation when facing an actual agent, but quite another when uploading info online without that option to explain discrepancies.

After considering all the possible solutions to the problem, I developed a three step plan.  First, I returned to the clinic that issued the covid vax card to obtain a replacement card in the name on my passport.  No problem there.  Secondly, I tackled the most difficult obstacle, assembling the documentation for Form SSA-5 to apply for a SS name change.  Since all SS offices are now closed, this info must be mailed.  When (or if) I receive the new SSA card, I can then apply for a new DL.

Cross your fingers!

I had a similar problem with my Global Entry application years ago. I have a "Mc" last name and couldn't find my online account. Turns out, the government inserts a space after the Mc and before the next portion of the name, for example Mc Farland instead of McFarland. While booking an international airline ticket, I failed to enter the space on the ticket and a sharp eyed agent caught it while I was checking in for the flight (giving me a hard time). To add to the name complications, my husband goes by his middle name, and sometimes places his first initial in front of it. There is a lesson here for new parents naming babies to consider this and to keep it simple and straightforward.

I had a smilar concern.  My vaccine proof of inoculations is in the right name as is my passport and all my other id.

Years ago, when I got married, because I use both last names, I was advised to drop my middle name from all of my id which I did.

My NB medicare card is correct but when I logged into MyHealth nb to register (that should be where our vaccination passports come from) I saw my middle name was still there and feared this could cause an issue.

I emailed them and of course, they told me to email another department saying they suspect they will have a lot of requests.  I never heard back but when I logged in yesterday, I saw my middle name was now off and and my name matches everything, thankfully. 🙂 

This is especially important since the CDC requires all vaccinated US travelers returning from abroad to document their vax status.  That is the reason that I put that alignment as step 1; I definitely was not going to try and amend my passport !

We live in Georgia and our Vaccination Record Cards are all hand written and easily modified.  In fact, I filled in our booster information to make sure our records are complete.  Perhaps a simple solution is to write the correct formal name immediately above the "goes by" name?  We have traveled quite extensively since receiving our vaccinations, and nobody has asked to see our Vaccination Record Cards (even though I always have them with me)...

• Like 1