I am confused. Can you use cruise next OBC for service charges still?

Married90

6 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You do not need to "spend" it.  It is applied to the cost of the certificates.  There is noting to "lose".

That is how it used to be - but not now, according to people who have come off the ship only to find out that they left their non-refundable credits from CN certificates behind. Apparently you can no longer use NR OBC to purchase certificates - and the OBC from a certificate purchase is listed as Non-refundable.  Whether or not this is a glitch or intentional, I can't say.  So bottom line is make sure you check your account before you leave the ship (and everything is electronic now - no final invoice under your door at 3am.  You'll get an email after you get home.

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

That is how it used to be - but not now, according to people who have come off the ship only to find out that they left their non-refundable credits from CN certificates behind. Apparently you can no longer use NR OBC to purchase certificates - and the OBC from a certificate purchase is listed as Non-refundable.  Whether or not this is a glitch or intentional, I can't say.  So bottom line is make sure you check your account before you leave the ship (and everything is electronic now - no final invoice under your door at 3am.  You'll get an email after you get home.

If this is true across the board, is it essentially "Pay $500 all non-refundable and get $500 non-refundable future cruise credit plus $250 non-refundable OBC?"  Somebody may have to flow chart this thing...  😃

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, julig22 said:

So bottom line is make sure you check your account before you leave the ship (and everything is electronic now - no final invoice under your door at 3am.  You'll get an email after you get home.

This morning on the Breakaway my wife and I each received those emails well before disembarkation.  YMMV.

But for sure if you haven't received that email, it's important to check your account before you disembark.  And don't wait until the last minute, just in case there's a problem.  We try to check ours daily.  

1 hour ago, Heather1972 said:

Got off breakaway last Sunday. I purchased 2 cruise nexts and as like in the past, I only paid $250 for them after the $250 OBC was applied to them.

Of course you only pay $250.  The question is whether or not the NR OBC was automatically applied against that purchase or did you have enough other expenditures to use up the OBC.  Those details might be why different reports from current cruisers.

In my case, I told them that I didn't want OBC - so they took care of it for me. Others have said they got it "refunded" at the end of the cruise by going to Customer services when they saw a balance on their account. And others found that it was left in their account.

1 hour ago, Heather1972 said:

Got off breakaway last Sunday. I purchased 2 cruise nexts and as like in the past, I only paid $250 for them after the $250 OBC was applied to them.

Did you have enough other charges to offset it and other credits?  I didn’t.  I’ve been emailing back and forth with NCL guest services.  Even asked them to highlight any charges that the credits were applied to.  I have been told point blank that the credits cannot be applied to CNs or DSCs.  Period.  I lost $193 and they say the case is closed.  I’m going to take it higher, but two levels of supervisors have told me the same thing.  They applied to credits to everything else - shore excursions, Starbucks, even the taxes on drinks in port. But not against the cost of the CruiseNexts or the DSC.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Of course you only pay $250.  The question is whether or not the NR OBC was automatically applied against that purchase or did you have enough other expenditures to use up the OBC.  Those details might be why different reports from current cruisers.

In my case, I told them that I didn't want OBC - so they took care of it for me. Others have said they got it "refunded" at the end of the cruise by going to Customer services when they saw a balance on their account. And others found that it was left in their account.

Like I said, my OBC from buying the cruise nexts was applied to the cruise nexts. I had no other purchases. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Heather1972 said:

Like I said, my OBC from buying the cruise nexts was applied to the cruise nexts. I had no other purchases. 

Thanks  @Heather1972Heather that's exactly as it has been every time I've purchased the Cruise Next Certs.  IMO, if they changed the policy for purchasing these, there'd be no point to making the purchase.  

Happy cruising

27 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Thanks  @Heather1972Heather that's exactly as it has been every time I've purchased the Cruise Next Certs.  IMO, if they changed the policy for purchasing these, there'd be no point to making the purchase.  

Happy cruising

Exactly.  We buy them for the half off.  Why else would someone lend money toNCL interest free for up to four years?  

• Like 1

This can get very confusing, as everyone has different OBC types and spending patterns

I’ve not cruised since covid, but always bought vouchers with little other spend. If you couldn’t use the ONC against the purchase then I wouldn’t be buying them again.

As some people are reporting getting the credit against the purchase price, I wonder whether it is other OBC that is the problem.

For example, you buy $500 and get $250 off. What if you were going to pay the remaining £250 using OBC from

another source which now can’t be used for that purpose. That would potentially result in some OBC being lost.

Ive no idea if that is the case, and am not disputing others reports, but out of interest, those people who did lose OBC, did any not have any other type of OBC on their account before the purchase?

just got off the getaway on the 25th, bought 2 vouchers and total cost was $250, only other thing on my bill was a charge of $2 in cagneys.

Also i went to the latitudes meeting where they were promoting the Prima, they even said in that meeting you can use the credit they give you to offset the cost of the vouchers 

• Thanks 1

I talked to the CruiseNext folks today.  She said the guest relations people were confused - the OBC could be used for the CNs.  I’d they couldn’t, what was the point? She asked me to summarize the emails I got from them in an email and she will look into it further.  I will do that when I’m back from this current trip.  I told her they really to make this clear - both internally and in external communications.  I pointed her to this thread.  She agreed.  I’ll let you know how it turns out and if I get my $193 back!

On 10/31/2021 at 1:13 AM, julig22 said:

Not what others are reporting - there are several posts about this on various threads.  I was able to get my credits returned on my recent cruise but I asked before I bought - not sure that it's standard protocol anymore.  And it you don't check, you could walk away, leaving OBC behind.

Apples and oranges.  Using non-refundable OBC to buy CN is not the topic of discussion.  It is what you can use the OBC you get from buying CN.  The point is still valid that it will automatically be deducted from the CN purchase resulting in a net transaction of buy one get one free.

Edited by MoCruiseFan