Lost my room

Sevedog

Just got off the phone with MSC. Not only was the itinerary changed for our Jan 8th Seashore cruise (which I am fine with) the cabin we always book in Yacht Club was changed to guarantee. Of course, we were not notified of either. They said the cruise line is juggling all of the cabins due to CDC guidelines and they will let us know what they assign us. As mentioned on this forum, great product on board but not sure they are worth the hassle to deal with 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sevedog said:

Just got off the phone with MSC. Not only was the itinerary changed for our Jan 8th Seashore cruise (which I am fine with) the cabin we always book in Yacht Club was changed to guarantee. Of course, we were not notified of either. They said the cruise line is juggling all of the cabins due to CDC guidelines and they will let us know what they assign us. As mentioned on this forum, great product on board but not sure they are worth the hassle to deal with 

I can see this is your first post, but if you just scroll down a little you'll see a thread about this already.

3 minutes ago, Sevedog said:

Thanks. I guess I’m not the only one then. 

No, you’re not.   Both ourselves and our friends have had their YC cabins changed to guarantee for our March sailing.

Just off Seashore yesterday.  Came off on a high to now discover more MSC nonsense for our next sailing.  It’s leaving a nasty taste, being robbed of the chance to look forward in anticipation to the cruise.

All the uncertainty caused great stress right up to embarkation last week.  Really not looking forward to the next 4 months of arbitrary changes that don’t make sense. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if I cancel now, will I get my money back? Not very clear with MSC, so I thought I'd ask the expert CC members.

It will state on your booking confirmation. Some deposits are non-refundable, and, of course, if you are within X days you get penalized, where X varies based on YC and non-YC.

But your booking conf will tell you for sure...

57 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

It will state on your booking confirmation. Some deposits are non-refundable, and, of course, if you are within X days you get penalized, where X varies based on YC and non-YC.

But your booking conf will tell you for sure...

Still not sure.

CRUISES FROM 5−14 NIGHTS: • •

Cancel 89−61 days prior to departure: Deposit Non−Refundable •

Cancel 60−46 days prior to departure: 50% of the total fare •

Cancel 45−16 days prior to departure: 75% of the total fare

Cancel 15−00 days prior to departure: 100% Penalty

Please note that certain MSC Cruises USA promotions now include a new NON−REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT requirement. These promotions are identified with 'NON−REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT' in the promotion name. For bookings with a NON−REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT designation, a 100% cancellation penalty will be imposed on the applicable deposit amount charged at time of booking for cancellation and/or changes made at any time beyond 24 hours after initial booking.

Other than that - nothing. Not a word "Promotion", or refundable or non-refundable deposit anywhere. I guess since it's not mentioned, it's probably refundable before 90 days.

On 10/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, Sevedog said:

I lost my Seaview YC cabin for March and now a guarantee as well.  Whats worse?  I am no longer on a March sailing but a February sailing from a different port. They moved the ship to Sint Martin.🙄

• Haha 2

It is crazy. My travel agent called MSC today and was told rooms will be randomly assigned 4 DAYS prior to departure. No changes will be allowed and documentation cannot be printed until that time. My travel agent said that is definitely NOT how she likes to service her clients and based on the bad customer service to both clients and travel agents she will not be recommending and discouraging MSC to any clients. This will definitely be our last MSC cruise. We were on Celebrity a few weeks ago and no issues at all so I find it hard to believe this is a CDC issue 

• Like 2

If anyone is not getting what is expected, and you are still within the free cancellation window, I'd recommend cancellation.  Bummer for sure, but better than having your money held hostage and not getting what you paid for.

• Like 3

Totally agree, Sevedog.   I’ve posted something similar on the other thread on the subject.  MSC is getting away with this ‘Guarantee’ nonsense without offering a reduced Guarantee rate, nor compensating anyone for this. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If anyone is not getting what is expected, and you are still within the free cancellation window, I'd recommend cancellation.  Bummer for sure, but better than having your money held hostage and not getting what you paid for.

Not that easy to just cancel and why would I want to give up a great deal? I have 2 weeks in a YC deluxe for what everyone else is paying for 1 week.

I have a large amount of airfare that must be used by a certain date. Not FFC, but free companion certs.

If its an NCL sailing, I am usually the one who is doing the M&G and I plan most of the excursions up to a year in advance.

As a rule I don't care to sail the Caribbean and I don't like this one or two week thing, its more like 30-60 day trips with land portions. So there are many plans that are/were made and many involve 3-6 flights.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Not that easy to just cancel and why would I want to give up a great deal? I have 2 weeks in a YC deluxe for what everyone else is paying for 1 week.

I have a large amount of airfare that must be used by a certain date. Not FFC, but free companion certs.

If its an NCL sailing, I am usually the one who is doing the M&G and I plan most of the excursions up to a year in advance.

As a rule I don't care to sail the Caribbean and I don't like this one or two week thing, its more like 30-60 day trips with land portions. So there are many plans that are/were made and many involve 3-6 flights.

Obviously, for some, there may be complications.  I cancelled a Rome cruise just before final payment  (veranda not YC).  Fortunately, I was able to unwind all aspects of the trip without cost, but of course that may factor in.

Edited by Stockjock

With MSC I’ll stick to 7 day cruises.  Anything longer, and especially a WV like we’re starting to look into now, I wouldn’t even consider booking with them. It’s way too risky. 

The main reason is I’m not comfortable handing over thousands of dollars to a company that isn’t consistently delivering what people are booking and paying for. 

A guarantee booking is less expensive and you all should be given a refund of the price difference for having your assigned room changed to a guarantee. I wouldn’t accept that. 

I’m looking forward to my upcoming Divina cruise and I’m grateful so far I haven’t had any negative incidents with this booking but I can see I may be in the minority around here. 

I don’t know how some of you are comfortable having 3 or 4 cruises booked and paid for with them. 
They’re probably the last company I would let hold that much of my $$$$. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

A guarantee booking is less expensive and you all should be given a refund of the price difference for having your assigned room changed to a guarantee. I wouldn’t accept that. 

I don’t know how some of you are comfortable having 3 or 4 cruises booked and paid for with them. 
They’re probably the last company I would let hold that much of my $$$$. 

Financially MSC is the most stable due to them being privately held and they are huge in the shipping industry. I have 5 booked and paid in full.

So what would you do with the guarantee thing you mentioned above?  I called them today because this is the second time they took my corner balcony away when I originally paid more to get from Bella to Fantastica. Now if I don't get that corner balcony cabin I don't want fantastica again.  They told me that with current rates?????? I would get a $38 refund when I paid $170 more per person for the better cabin. What do current rates have to do with the known number of $170?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Financially MSC is the most stable due to them being privately held and they are huge in the shipping industry. I have 5 booked and paid in full.

So what would you do with the guarantee thing you mentioned above?  I called them today because this is the second time they took my corner balcony away when I originally paid more to get from Bella to Fantastica. Now if I don't get that corner balcony cabin I don't want fantastica again.  They told me that with current rates?????? I would get a $38 refund when I paid $170 more per person for the better cabin. What do current rates have to do with the known number of $170?

I would cancel if I was in the “no penalty window” especially if I chose a specific room and was told my room is now a guarantee and won’t be assigned until 4 days prior to cruising. At that point I would have zero recourse so better to get out now.  
If I couldn’t cancel without penalty I surely would cancel future sailings with them. 

MSC may be stable financially (according to you I have not investigated that) but nothing about their customer service on land is the most stable and you are the last person that needs me to tell you that. 

You have had a problem with just about every booked cruise you currently have correct?  Why do that to yourself?  There’s a lot of other choices. Especially since I remember you saying you live in FL. You can drive to any cruise port you want. 

You know that saying fool me once shame on you fool me twice (or thrice or four or five times) shame on me!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I would cancel if I was in the “no penalty window” especially if I chose a specific room and was told my room is now a guarantee and won’t be assigned until 4 days prior to cruising. At that point I would have zero recourse so better to get out now.  
If I couldn’t cancel without penalty I surely would cancel future sailings with them. 

MSC may be stable financially (according to you I have not investigated that) but nothing about their customer service on land is the most stable and you are the last person that needs me to tell you that. 

You have had a problem with just about every booked cruise you currently have correct?  Why do that to yourself?  There’s a lot of other choices. Especially since I remember you saying you live in FL. You can drive to any cruise port you want. 

You know that saying fool me once shame on you fool me twice (or thrice or four or five times) shame on me!

I prefer sailings in other countries but I have $40,000+ in FCC between lines.  My next cruise is December 4th so I am stuck sailing with them otherwise I get FCC back again.

$40,000 in FFC is huge.  I've never done a FCC, as I don't trust the cruise lines to look out for my interest.  The last thing I want to do is take a fully refundable deposit and turn it into a potentially non-refundable deposit.

For those who do decide to cancel a cruise before final payment, remember that you can still revisit it later.  We cancelled our November 16th cruise about 10 days before final payment was due, but initially kept all flights and hotels in place.  We were going to consider a rebook in October or November, but ultimately decided to instead do a trip to Europe in 2022.

When you cancel before final payment you have several options:

1. Take the money and don't look back.

2. Rebook at a higher price.

3. Rebook at a lower price.

4. Perhaps the cruise is closed or sold out.

5. Book something else with a more favorable price close to the sail date.

Yesterday was the last day to back out on a Celebrity cruise.  They pulled some late inning shenanigans, changing it 2 weeks ago from 5 nights to 4 nights, getting rid of Cozumel and substituting Bimini, getting rid of Key West and substituting Nassau.  And they offered us $50 per person for our inconvenience.  

After a bunch of us griped (mostly me, probably), they changed everything back but Key West, and added the lost night back bringing it once again to a 5 night sailing.  But it was nice to have the option to cancel and I came a whisker away from doing so.  Since they fixed the problem within a week, I feel comfortable going forward.  Unfortunately, I haven't generally found MSC to be very responsive.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, styles27 said:

The main reason is I’m not comfortable handing over thousands of dollars to a company that isn’t consistently delivering what people are booking and paying for. 

If there is one thing I am not concerned thinking about MSC then it is financial stability. If all others gone broke, they will still sailing ...

Nowadays is it difficult. On one hand I am happy that MSC is trying to offer something in these extremely challenging times for all. I wanted to visit the EXPO in Dubai and combine it with a cruise and "swimming hotel". To my surprise they managed to offer it and - as usual with them - for a unbeatable price.

On the other hand I know this will maybe not work out as expected. With changing cabins last minute being my last concern. I am also OK if the boat stays the whole week in Dubai and really works as a swimming EXPO hotel, I just want don´t to discuss anything with them after my booking looks OK and even the on board credit for voyagers selection is in it 😄

I really hope this comes back to bite MSC where it hurts - in the pocket.  If we didn’t have flights paid for I’d be seriously considering cancelling this one and losing the deposit (which is hefty).  Unfortunately the only other cruise I can see that sails on the same date is too expensive for us. 

How many people have been impacted by this??!!    It’s not just one sailing - or one ship.   If MSC is serious about growing its market share in the US this is not the way to go.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I really hope this comes back to bite MSC where it hurts - in the pocket.  If we didn’t have flights paid for I’d be seriously considering cancelling this one and losing the deposit (which is hefty).  Unfortunately the only other cruise I can see that sails on the same date is too expensive for us. 

How many people have been impacted by this??!!    It’s not just one sailing - or one ship.   If MSC is serious about growing its market share in the US this is not the way to go.  

Obviously, call it as you see it, but many customer-cancelled flights can have the value credited towards the account's wallet for future use.  Typically, those credits expire in 12 or 24 months.  If you consider this option, check with your airline to be sure.

I'm considering booking a great airfare rate for a 2022 cruise.  I'd estimate a 75% chance we'll do the cruise at this point.  But if I cancel, the airfare can only be credited to the wallet (Canadian airline, but European flight).  If we did that, we'd have 24 months, in this case, to use the credit, which could be tricky.  If we don't use it, we lose it.  If we fly, then of course there's no problem.  If I wait to book the flight until after the 1st of the year, I may lose some of that Covid-related flexibility.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1