Generic Fresh Market Seafood listed on MDR menu

MisterBill99

On 10/31/2021 at 9:35 AM, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm also wondering if on a given night they might have a mix of fish.  Let's say they have 100 pieces if sole and 50 of cod.  The first 100 people get sole the rest get cod.  There has to be a reason for it.

To me this makes a lot of sense.  With provisioning being more difficult these days, it would actually be a good idea.  Even if they say t'ain't so, might be so.  And no big deal, as far as I'm concerned.  The fish is always very good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

To me this makes a lot of sense.  With provisioning being more difficult these days, it would actually be a good idea.  Even if they say t'ain't so, might be so.  And no big deal, as far as I'm concerned.  The fish is always very good.

It made sense to me as well but I’ve been told I was wrong.  At least I offered a suggestion. The fish was pretty darn tasty on the koningsdam in November although I found the halibut at night in the pinnacle to be  so so.  It was a little overcooked for my taste.  

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

So if they print them once a week why don’t they know what the fish is then?  Surely they don’t provision at the last minute. I would take anything I’d hear onboard with a huge scoop of salt.  It’s like a toy doll where they have a pull string.  Seattle programs the staff to say certain things to a wide array of questions.  Pull the string and you get a canned answer.  By the way not once did I say for sure that’s why they they had menus done the way they did.  It was a guess.  You offered  no guess so I guess my guess was closer than yours.

I have no idea why they are doing it, just wanted to say that it wasn't because they reuse menus, and you had said "I’m pretty sure they were reused".

BTW, tonight's mystery seafood was a combination of mussels, calamari, shrimp and scallops. Leftovers on the last night of the cruise.

I'll guess that close to 100% of the fish and seafood onboard these large cruise ships is frozen.  That is a good thing in my opinion when sourcing for thousands of people!  If that is true, then why couldn't the weekly menu list the frozen fish offered that week?  Not a big deal but it just seems like an easy thing to do if it's all coming from the freezer anyway!

~Nancy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I'll guess that close to 100% of the fish and seafood onboard these large cruise ships is frozen.  That is a good thing in my opinion when sourcing for thousands of people!  If that is true, then why couldn't the weekly menu list the frozen fish offered that week?  Not a big deal but it just seems like an easy thing to do if it's all coming from the freezer anyway!

~Nancy

That has been my point from the start! They're not reusing menus, they're not getting fresh fish on these Caribbean runs. It makes no sense.

10 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I have no idea why they are doing it, just wanted to say that it wasn't because they reuse menus, and you had said "I’m pretty sure they were reused".

BTW, tonight's mystery seafood was a combination of mussels, calamari, shrimp and scallops. Leftovers on the last night of the cruise.

I know for a fact that they were reusing menus in club orange on the koningsdam.  If they are printing menus once a week they are reusing menus.  They probably told you whatever you want to appease you.

Time to update my ignore users.

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know for a fact that they were reusing menus in club orange on the koningsdam.  If they are printing menus once a week they are reusing menus.  They probably told you whatever you want to appease you.

Time to update my ignore users.

They do not reuse printed copies of the menus from week to week because the menus change (i.e., the menu from day one of a cruise will be a newly printed copy the second week). Some items changed from one week to the next, so they could not reuse the menus from the previous cruise.

I will try not to get too upset about being added to your ignore list.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

"Seafood" and "leftovers" -- two words that, when used together, are not very appealing. 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Leftover seafood.  What’s even more comical than that is the fact that they print around 800 menus each night for everyone that eats in the mdr 😂.  That’s really logical.

No one said that they print 800 each night. I'm sure that they reuse them for people the same night. Apparently that was not obvious when I said that they do not reuse them on the following cruise.