Do I need a paper printout of edocs?

herbanrenewal

I leave home this weekend for a month in Europe before a TA cruise, and staying at Airbnb's. So no access to a printer. I've completed check-in paperwork.  

Can I just show up at port without printout? I assume I can just download to my phone. Will that be sufficient?

• Like 1

I don't know if it's required but the agents at the pier always mention to us how happy they are seeing paper docs rather than waiting for the ones by phone.  Also, I always print out a backup of everything in case the phone goes missing or stops working for some reason.

• Thanks 1

I print out everything.  I put a copy in my suitcase, backpack, and my purse.  With it, I have copies of all my flight and hotel accommodations, plus emergency contact information back home.  You never know when you might need it or someone may need it for you.  Everything goes right on the very top where it is easily seen.

• Like 1

To answer your question:

Download eDocs

After Online Check-In is completed for each guest, eDocs should be available to download (approx 21 days prior to sailing). Complete Check-in and download eDocs early. eDocs are your boarding pass. Each guest will need a printed or digital copy to enter the port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I leave home this weekend for a month in Europe before a TA cruise, and staying at Airbnb's. So no access to a printer. I've completed check-in paperwork.  

Can I just show up at port without printout? I assume I can just download to my phone. Will that be sufficient?

Print them out. On our last cruise the couple next to us didn't have paper prints. Their one phone was also not working. I turned into a big hassle for them. Myself on the other hand print out two copies of everything. One goes in my backpack I can to check in the other goes in my wife backpack.

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 2

I didn't need anything printed for check-in during our cruise on the Encore; had the edocs saved to my phone along with a digital copy of my Eurofins registration for testing. The only hard-copy documentation I had was my original vaccination cards (and passport, of course). There were no issues with NCL staff scanning the barcodes off my phone.

• Like 1

I'll add, anytime I have any type document on my phone, I save it as a .pdf and put a link on my home screen.  That way even if I do not have wi-fi and cell coverage I can still access the docs I need and I'm not clicking 5 level deep into my phone to display it.

• Like 4

On the one hand, I checked in for my two 2021 cruises using the phone. On the other hand, I had the printed eDocs on hand as backup. 

For the phone version, take a screenshot of the eDocs screen as a backup to your backup. 

Good point on having a backup plan that doesn't require cell coverage. I save copies of any important docs to my Dropbox account and set them as 'available offline.' And always have a small external battery pack in my carry-on just in case my cellphone needs a quick charge.

• Like 1

Edit: Agree with "Have PDF copies of all your travel docs on your phone as well as print outs." I also take pictures of my photo IDs, prescriptions, and any other information I need handy... just in case.

I heard another passenger comment that a port agent was fumbling with her phone trying to examine her electronic documents so now she insists on printouts.

Why chance it with the agent when you can just hand over a full sized printout?  Without printouts, you're hoping the agent won't ask to take a closer look at your documents, then relying on them to know how to manipulate your brand of phone, ios vs android, different screen sizes and button orientations, not accidentally touching the wrong button if they want to take a closer look at your edoc to determine which line you go on or verification of other travel documents or test results. Why risk it.

Edited by kylenyc

Not related to Norwegian but a couple of years ago I went to attend CES in Las Vegas with a colleague.  I had printed out both our confirmations.   At check in they could not find their info and were going to be adamant in not allowing entry.   The printed docs had something on them that allowed them to find the registration.   So I always have a printed docs as backup.   Even with no access to printer I'd probably find some location that would allow me to print out docs.

12 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

Having a hardcopy of your ticket (first page(s) of edocs), testing docs, vaccination docs is the best. 

Pre-pandemic and especially now, I would never hand my phone over to an agent who handled dozens of people in front of you. Many agents just grab the phone out your hand trying to read the tiny print. 

Same reason that we use paper plane tickets vs. placing our phones on scanners touched by hundreds. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Having a hardcopy of your ticket (first page(s) of edocs), testing docs, vaccination docs is the best. 

Pre-pandemic and especially now, I would never hand my phone over to an agent who handled dozens of people in front of you. Many agents just grab the phone out your hand trying to read the tiny print. 

Same reason that we use paper plane tickets vs. placing our phones on scanners touched by hundreds. 

You hand your papers over to an agent who handled dozens of people before you.  Many agents just grab the papers out your hand trying to read the tiny print.

You don't "place your phone on scanners" at the airport gate, you hold them about an inch away and they are read quite easily.  Instead of handing the ticket to an agent who handled dozens of people before you.

Paper is less foolproof than digital.