Norway in August.....?

Babylou44

We are looking at the possibility of booking a cruise on the Sky Princess next August (20th) for 14 nights on the 'Land of the Midnight Sun' cruise to Norway.

The scenery looks beautiful but I'm just concerned about the weather at that time of year and also whether there is any likelihood of choppy waters. My wife and daughter specifically wanted to avoid the Bay of Biscay for the same reason and so, having decided to change 'location' I didn't want to find that there was potential for worse on this trip.

Any advice from anybody that has travelled on that trip, or on that boat, and to that location, would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Firstly, I'll suggest it really is a stretch for Princess to name the cruise "Land of the Midnight Sun". The Summer Solstice, when sun is at maximum declination, was more than 2 months ago on Jun 21/22. You will be cruising when the sun is less than a month from crossing the equator at the Fall Equinox.

No way, at that time of year will you see the Midnight Sun.

As for all oceans, wind is an unknown. If you are concerned with heavy weather, Jun/July has less likelihood than late August/Sept. Not saying you will experience heavy weather, but you definitely have the potential that far north and that late in the season.  

As @Heidi13is saying "No way, at that time of year will you see the Midnight Sun"

Scheduled for Honningsvåg (North Cape) August 27 - sunrise 4:00 am and sunset 8:30pm.

You'll have midnight sun in June and July - but not August.

Sailing along the coast of Norway and into the deep fjords will be calm but you also have to cross the North Sea from Southampton to the coast of Norway. Might be calm - might be rough.

Anyway - the itinerary does include two deep fjords (Oden and Skjolden) with scenic cruising and view points - North Cape, Lofoten (Gravdal) as well as the two beautiful cities of Honningsvåg and Bergen - all in all a fine itinerary but no Midnight Sun.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

Along the coast, there isn’t a marked difference between August and earlier in the summer. Aside from the crossing, rough seas will typically be localized weather conditions that can happen regardless of the month. But when you’re sailing within the fjords, you are extremely protected and have consistently smooth sailing. On the flip side, sailing over from Southampton can and often is choppy any time.

I did a similar cruise in June 2018. I have to say Skjolden is really not prepared for large ships. That was probably the only port I did enjoy. Tours offered through the ship were minimal. The area is not conducive to buses. We booked with the only local tour company which usually doesn't book tours in advance (walk up only). 

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2021 at 6:10 AM, Coral said:

I did a similar cruise in June 2018. I have to say Skjolden is really not prepared for large ships. That was probably the only port I did enjoy. Tours offered through the ship were minimal. The area is not conducive to buses. We booked with the only local tour company which usually doesn't book tours in advance (walk up only). 

We are booked on a Carnival cruise in June 2022 and have a stop in Skjolden. What tour did you take? I am trying to gather information about the ports.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

We are booked on a Carnival cruise in June 2022 and have a stop in Skjolden. What tour did you take? I am trying to gather information about the ports.

Thanks!

We did Tour F here: https://skjolden.com/en/visit-skjolden-bussturar/

I liked the Jotunheiman National Park better than the Urnes Stave Church. The roads were very narrow - one of the Princess's buses got in an accident backing up. The port really isn't meant for large buses.

The Jotunheiman National Park had snow in June and cross country skiers from other European countries there as they could practice.

This was my least favorite port on the trip. Not sure if I would recommend the tour. Though not sure what I would recommend either.

-------- 

Here is a description we were given:

"Tour F - Sognefjell mountain pass / Jotunheimen & Urnes stave church - 4.5 hours. Includes: English speaking guide + entrance with guide in church. Not included: Meals. Toilets available on tour: Mefjellet, Oscarshaug, Vassbakken, Ornes. Possible to eat a snack: Farm house cafè by the church.
Departure Skjolden 09.00
Arr Sognefjellet 09.45
Stop at highest point 1434 masl. View towards mountain peaks and glacier. Summer skiing center. Return with several stops: Mefjellet, Oscarshaug (5 min hike up to a viewing point). When good weather you have a breathtaking view of the landscape on top of Norway, many peaks over 2000 m, water magazines, several glaciers. 
Arr Fortun 11.15
Drive by the power plant. Short stop at the Åsafossen waterfall by Vassbakken Cafè. The romantic road Skjolden - Ornes
Arr church 12.00
Guided tour outside and inside the church. Exhibition in the service center, deer farm (not included), cafèteria, toilets.
Dep Ornes 12.45
Short stop at the Feigum waterfall (218 m)
Arr. Skjolden 13.30" 

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:10 AM, Coral said:

I did a similar cruise in June 2018. I have to say Skjolden is really not prepared for large ships. That was probably the only port I did not enjoy. Tours offered through the ship were minimal. The area is not conducive to buses. We booked with the only local tour company which usually doesn't book tours in advance (walk up only). 

Sorry for typo.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, Babylou44 said:

We are looking at the possibility of booking a cruise on the Sky Princess next August (20th) for 14 nights on the 'Land of the Midnight Sun' cruise to Norway.

The scenery looks beautiful but I'm just concerned about the weather at that time of year and also whether there is any likelihood of choppy waters. My wife and daughter specifically wanted to avoid the Bay of Biscay for the same reason and so, having decided to change 'location' I didn't want to find that there was potential for worse on this trip.

Any advice from anybody that has travelled on that trip, or on that boat, and to that location, would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

The seas can get rough up at that latitude as well as the N. Sea, so best to go for a mid ship cabin, but all chance of course. 

Fred Olsen has always taken his ships up the inside passage going up the coast of Norway, so a sea day in what may be choppy waters, becomes a very pleasant scenic cruise day, with little wind across the decks.  I am not sure if his newly  acquired (bigger) ships will still be able to do that and his cruises would be more expensive than Princess, so probably not an alternative for you.