Steal of a deal for Grandeur of the Seas in the Carribbean in April 2022

Hi there,

Regular cruiser in a travel loving couple (38m/39m) and we're just back from a week on Regal Princess and already gagging for the next cruise.

Of the main lines, I've never sailed Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and have seen a fantastic deal, including flights from the UK, for eight days on the Grandeur of the Seas with a fantastic port-a-day itinerary in early April. 

I know she's the oldest in the fleet but should I be worried about this sailing or this ship (suddenly leaving the fleet etc.)

We enjoy cruises for the ships and the exploration of places and ports fairly equally but don't need massive ships or waterslides etc. to unwind.

We're not really worried about clientele being older than us as keep to ourselves but equally enjoy most people's company. 

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the ship, past trips you've taken on her and Royal sailings on ships of this vintage. 

Worth it for the itinerary… and it’s a bargain!

I think you’ll find a lot of Brits on board as it’s been heavily promoted as a package here. 
Have never been in her, but have been on 3 of her sisters… old ship, nice ambiance without the flashy stuff.

Edited by little britain

4 hours ago, RemyLeBeau said:

I know she's the oldest in the fleet but should I be worried about this sailing or this ship (suddenly leaving the fleet etc.)

The latter part could be a worry, though one would hope RCI would provide enough warning.

We are BIG fans of Grandeur.  I have sailed on her 5 times with one more booked. 

She used to be home porting in Baltimore, about 30 minutes from my house. 😄

Smaller ship, but more ship like.  You can see the water from just about anywhere.

If you want a floating amusement park, she is not the ship for you.

But historically, the crew has been FABULOUS.

Yeah - we've never been on a ship with rollercoasters or even a waterslide, having sailed so far on:

Ms Ryndam (the one from 1993) but we took our voyage in 2013

Celebrity Constellation (2016)

Cunard Queen Mary 2 (2017)

Celebrity Equinox (2018)

Majestic Princess (2019)

Regal Princess (2021)

So I think the port heavy itinerary might suit us well, especially at those prices.

Edited by RemyLeBeau

23 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I've sailed on Grandeur 7 times (from Baltimore) and would sail on her again.  Will be sailing on her [stretched] sister (Enchantment) in March.

We are Grandeur from Barbados to Galveston in April.  Then on Enchantment out of Baltimore in November.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:03 AM, RemyLeBeau said:

We're not really worried about clientele being older than us as keep to ourselves but equally enjoy most people's company.

April is a prime time for many schools' spring break here in the States, so there should be plenty of kids onboard any RCI ships. However, I see that it sails from Barbados, so chances are - not many US or Canadian kids on board.

Granny of the Seas may have fewer kids if it doesn't have any bells and whistles.

Granted, we've never sailed on Granny, but we have sailed on Regal Princess. After sailing on a relatively new Regal Princess with its superb food (and a grand buffet), you may find Granny a bit old.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 11/3/2021 at 4:22 AM, Kbonner said:

There will be a chair hogger competition between the Brits and the Germans. Grandeur also heavily promoted from Germany with direct flights.

Anyone else see a beer shortage on the horizon for this cruise:)

• Haha 1

I have heard thru other posts and live reviews that Grandeur has been going in and out of St Maarten port as they are doing work on her to get ready for her restart in December.

We have sailed on her many times and the food and crew have always been very good.  Always like the relaxed vibe as I dont need all the bells and whistles that are on newer ships.

We were booked for a b2b in february but cancelled as Barbados had some strict covid protocols with flying in for  pre cruise stay.  And we dont call to wear a mask in airport and plane for 8+ hours.

Absolutely loved the itinerary for our b2b and it was a tough call to cancel but we switched to cruise port we can drive to for now.

• Like 1