Woe With O ---Marina 12/1 Changes

Hlitner

So our first experience booking O is turning out to be awful.  Just today we were notified by O that they have completely revamped the 2nd half of our 12/1 cruise and eliminated the stops in both Ecuador and Peru (Lima was the final disembarkation port).  Now they have changed the debarkation port to Santiago Chile and added another Chile port.  O is essentially leaving those of us who have booked our own air (from Lima) on our own.  Since we booked our own air with Delta miles we are going to see if Delta can work some magic (we doubt it) rather then just refund our miles.  But this would leave us with awful air options from Santiago.

So, what does O say about folks who want to cancel.  They have given us 1 week to decide and if we cancel they will only grant a FCC (equal to what was paid) which must be used for a new booking within the next year for cruises.   O is not offering to refund the fare for cancelations.  Apparently they figure that if they change the end port to a different country and port it is just too bad.  I guess this will also cause problems for folks that were planning to join the cruise in Lima and have booked their own air.  They would now have to find a way to get to Santiago Chile and ultimately the port (which is at least a $100 cab fare).  What a mess.

Hank

P.S.  Msg to Flatbush Flyer.....we are not impressed by O customer service.  They were useless other then to tell us to call our cruise agency.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Apparently they figure that if they change the end port to a different country and port it is just too bad.

I imagine you think Oceania did this just to spite you and that there is no other reason for this change.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you use a TA  then most cruise lines will not talk to you either

I would have thought with all your cruises that would be  a no brainer

Am well aware :(.  When we booked this cruise it was done through what had previously been a decent cruise agency.  But it appears that COVID has taken its toll and this particular agency got rid of a few folks and now wants several business days to even return calls.  I guess the good news is that they are still in business :).  Those of us who have done travel during COVID are getting very used to dealing with "challenges."   But "O" laid out two options today, which is within a month of the cruise.  Option 1 is to keep the booking in which case we must rearrange our air.  No problem dealing with Delta as they quickly refunded all of our miles plus the taxes.  But getting air home from Santiago is a pain (but doable) although not as good a deal as we had from Lima.  

But the question here is that "O" not only eliminated two countries (and 4 ports) but then changed the final port.  This actually will be a bigger problem for those on that cruise that intended to go to Machu Picu either post cruise or those who made their own plans to go to Machu Picu before the cruise departing from Lima.  So with less then an month's notice "O" has really messed up the plans of many folks.    As to us, we could still take the cruise and book air from Santigo.  or....we could cancel the cruise in which case "O" is saying we would only get a FCC with no additional compensation.  

But the plot thickens.  Compared to many we are in pretty good shape because we have a few options.  Those with plans to Machu Pico are royally screwed.  And since "O" has made so many darn changes I guess we could simply file a "charge back" request with our credit card company  claiming we are not getting the cruise for which we paid  (this would be our last resort).  

The issue we have with "O" is that they waited until today (less then one month before the cruise) to notify their customers of all these changes.  And "O" is not offering a full refund to folks who want to cancel.  So here is my dilemma.  I could book air from Santiago tonight...but should I have any faith in "O" that they will not completely change this cruise itinerary tomorrow, next week, or even cancel!  When I talked to "O" 4 days ago (I called about another issue) they assured me that there were no indications of any changes (which now appears to be a big laugh).  

In our cruise experience (with 16 cruise other cruise lines) we have never dealt with such a situation and awful customer service.  In "O's" e-mail about the changes they clearly said if we had questions to contact either your cruise agent or Oceania's Customer Service.  Since O is a "Premium Line" (or so some say) we expected that customer service to be helpful.  They were not!  In fact, even MSC's Customer Service is a lot more responsive and they are considered one of the worst.  

My issue with "O" is quite simple.  Since they have made such a massive change to this cruise itinerary (including changing the final disembarkation country!) they should offer a refund of the cruise fare.  Offering a FCC that is limited by time (only one year to book another cruise) on a line where many of their future cruises are sold out...is not a particularly good option.  Perhaps O is a Premium Cruise Line but their policies and customer service are bush league.  I would be remiss in not giving a real complement to Delta and their customer service.  When we called them about the problem with our return air from Lima the Delta folks could not have been nicer and more helpful (unlike O).  Delta tried to find a way to change our Lima booking to a Santiago booking but could not come up with any reasonable option.  Unlike "O" Delta quickly agreed to refund all our miles and taxes.  These days few folks have anything good to say about our airlines but now I must admit that Delta's Customer Service makes O look very bad.

Hank

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I imagine you think Oceania did this just to spite you and that there is no other reason for this change.

Paul, you and I agree on lots of things but I have to disagree with you here.  I'm guessing Hank understands all the reasons for the changes, but is having a tough time trying to redo international flights with less than four weeks until departure. I understand his frustration with the whole situation and sympathize. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, tgg said:

Paul, you and I agree on lots of things but I have to disagree with you here.  I'm guessing Hank understands all the reasons for the changes, but is having a tough time trying to redo international flights with less than four weeks until departure. I understand his frustration with the whole situation and sympathize. 

Thank you Paul :).  If you read my recent "too wordy" post I am actually having less problem with the airlines then with "O."  I am appalled that "O" would make these kind of last minute changes (and they are major changes) and then try to dump the responsibility onto the already overworked and understaffed cruise agencies.  When I asked the "O" folks for a refund option (of the paid cruise fare) the comment was "ask your cruise agent to write a letter to somebody in senior management at "O."  FDR should be ashamed!  

That process (of dealing with senior management) would likely take weeks or even months which is time we do not have given that this cruise is less than 30 days from now!  It appears that "O" is using an all too common strategy of running out the clock and giving their customers few good options.  Shame on them and FDR.  

Hank

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Am well aware :(.  When we booked this cruise it was done through what had previously been a decent cruise agency.  But it appears that COVID has taken its toll and this particular agency got rid of a few folks and now wants several business days to even return calls.  I guess the good news is that they are still in business :).  Those of us who have done travel during COVID are getting very used to dealing with "challenges."   But "O" laid out two options today, which is within a month of the cruise.  Option 1 is to keep the booking in which case we must rearrange our air.  No problem dealing with Delta as they quickly refunded all of our miles plus the taxes.  But getting air home from Santiago is a pain (but doable) although not as good a deal as we had from Lima.  

But the question here is that "O" not only eliminated two countries (and 4 ports) but then changed the final port.  This actually will be a bigger problem for those on that cruise that intended to go to Machu Picu either post cruise or those who made their own plans to go to Machu Picu before the cruise departing from Lima.  So with less then an month's notice "O" has really messed up the plans of many folks.    As to us, we could still take the cruise and book air from Santigo.  or....we could cancel the cruise in which case "O" is saying we would only get a FCC with no additional compensation.  

But the plot thickens.  Compared to many we are in pretty good shape because we have a few options.  Those with plans to Machu Pico are royally screwed.  And since "O" has made so many darn changes I guess we could simply file a "charge back" request with our credit card company  claiming we are not getting the cruise for which we paid  (this would be our last resort).  

The issue we have with "O" is that they waited until today (less then one month before the cruise) to notify their customers of all these changes.  And "O" is not offering a full refund to folks who want to cancel.  So here is my dilemma.  I could book air from Santiago tonight...but should I have any faith in "O" that they will not completely change this cruise itinerary tomorrow, next week, or even cancel!  When I talked to "O" 4 days ago (I called about another issue) they assured me that there were no indications of any changes (which now appears to be a big laugh).  

In our cruise experience (with 16 cruise other cruise lines) we have never dealt with such a situation and awful customer service.  In "O's" e-mail about the changes they clearly said if we had questions to contact either your cruise agent or Oceania's Customer Service.  Since O is a "Premium Line" (or so some say) we expected that customer service to be helpful.  They were not!  In fact, even MSC's Customer Service is a lot more responsive and they are considered one of the worst.  

My issue with "O" is quite simple.  Since they have made such a massive change to this cruise itinerary (including changing the final disembarkation country!) they should offer a refund of the cruise fare.  Offering a FCC that is limited by time (only one year to book another cruise) on a line where many of their future cruises are sold out...is not a particularly good option.  Perhaps O is a Premium Cruise Line but their policies and customer service are bush league.

Hank

Per Oceania's Guest Ticket Contract https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf , Section 4 Carriers Discretion paragraph c. due to the change in final destination Oceania is supposed to arrange for transportation from the new port to the originally scheduled port. You should be able to hold their feet to the fire on this, which would allow you to maintain your original airline reservation assuming there's enough time for you to make your original flight.

4. CARRIER’S DISCRETION As the Carrier, We reserve the right at any time, without notice or liability for refund, payment or compensation of any kind or credit, except as otherwise required by law, to cancel any Cruise or CruiseTour, change or postpone the date or time of sailing or arrival, change the port of embarkation or final destination, shorten the Cruise or substitute the Ship, change or substitute any component of the CruiseTour including but not limited to aircraft, other transportation or any hotel at which You are scheduled to stay. If We make any of the changes described above, We will be responsible to You as follows in full and final settlement of all claims and liabilities of Carrier in connection with such actions, unless otherwise required by law:

c. If the scheduled port of embarkation or final destination is changed, We will arrange transportation to the new port from the originally scheduled port. 

Edited by njhorseman

So I’m assuming that the next cruise is picking up perhaps 3 Sea Days as they now become Santiago to BA instead of Lima BA! Wonder if those on that holiday cruise has gotten the message?

We’ve already picked up an extra SeaDay with The Falklands being shutdown. That will likewise become another sea day for the next cruise. 

Wonder what the new plan will be?

Hank;

Did you read 4c of NJHorseman’s post?

Did any of the numbskull telephone clerks you called at O read that to you?

I’m sick and tired of continuously reading people proclaiming how brilliant and self sufficient they are and how they don’t need a Travel Agent. This is exactly the reason I have a Travel Agent and know how to use her. I’d never consider calling a minimum wage Oceania phone clerk on any issue like this! What does one think their response will be???? 

My quite knowledgeable professional TA would have immediately quoted section 4c to her O Rep, and demand an answer on how Oceania was going to get you to Santiago. But you know what, they are professionals on both sides and the reps our TAs deal with would have known better than to mouth such horse manure to start with. 

It’s all good now though, you’re happy, you spent time on the phone with a Oceania phone clerk. Your decision, regardless of the hundreds of posts on this Forum alluding to the fact that it’s a bad idea that rarely renders good results.

I have a TA and know how to use her!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

So I’m assuming that the next cruise is picking up perhaps 3 Sea Days as they now become Santiago to BA instead of Lima BA! Wonder if those on that holiday cruise has gotten the message?

We’ve already picked up an extra SeaDay with The Falklands being shutdown. That will likewise become another sea day for the next cruise. 

Wonder what the new plan will be?

Yes, we are on the Marina cruise departing 12/19, and received the email of the itinerary change this afternoon.

I don't like the change at all.  We had made independent plans to tour Lima, Cusco, Ollantaytambo, and Machu Picchu before our cruise which we aren't going to cancel.  So, we now have to book an additional flight from Lima to Santiago, and purchase transfer from Santiago to Valparaiso cruise terminal.  Both of these are pricey and not covered by the $300/person change in flight that Oceania is offering.

The revised itinerary does not include extra sea days.  We spend an additional day in Santiago, Ushuaia, Montevideo, and Buenos Aires.

I am curious why Peru was eliminated especially since they were relaxing their entry requirements.  Now you either have to be fully vaccinated or show a negative Covid PCR test to enter.

Regardless, we have booked another flight from Lima to Santiago.  Now looking for a reasonable transfer from Santiago to the cruise terminal.  I just hope that no other further changes or cancellation occurs.  After 7 Oceania cancellations due to Covid, we are ready to start the New Year on Marina!!

Just now, Hlitner said:

Thank you Paul :).  If you read my recent "too wordy" post I am actually having less problem with the airlines then with "O."  I am appalled that "O" would make these kind of last minute changes (and they are major changes) and then try to dump the responsibility onto the already overworked and understaffed cruise agencies.  When I asked the "O" folks for a refund option (of the paid cruise fare) the comment was "ask your cruise agent to write a letter to somebody in senior management at "O."  FDR should be ashamed!

Hank

Since you used a TA, O is very strict about Cruise changes being made that way. You (like us and most O regulars) chose to use a TA and DIY air.

In any case, O’s T&Cs (like any cruise line) allow THEIR changes for health & safety. That they’re waiving any penalty fee AND offering an FCC should you cancel now seems pretty reasonable given constant Covid uncertainties.

As for “only a month to go,” O has done its best to keep your itinerary intact AND to not make multiple premature itinerary changes. (“Damned if you do and damned if you don’t”).

Even if your Travel Agency is not an O’s Connoisseurs Club member or Preferred Partner, the best strategy now (if you want to cancel) is to identify a SPECIFIC future cruise (of equal or greater cost whether or not the same itinerary) and have your TA request transferring the current cruise (even if the date is beyond the FCC “cruise by” deadline). These types of transfers tend to experience significant flexibility when it comes to extending “cruise by” deadlines. (NB: asking for an open ended FCC will not work.)

Good luck.

PS: we got an O email today with port changes for our upcoming January cruise. C’est la vie.  

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Since you used a TA, O is very strict about Cruise changes being made that way. You (like us and most O regulars) chose to use a TA and DIY air.

In any case, O’s T&Cs (like any cruise line) allow THEIR changes for health & safety. That they’re waiving any penalty fee AND offering an FCC should you cancel now seems pretty reasonable given constant Covid uncertainties.

As for “only a month to go,” O has done its best to keep your itinerary intact AND to not make multiple premature itinerary changes. (“Damned if you do and damned if you don’t”).

Even if your Travel Agency is not an O’s Connoisseurs Club member or Preferred Partner, the best strategy now (if you want to cancel) is to identify a SPECIFIC future cruise (of equal or greater cost whether or not the same itinerary) and have your TA request transferring the current cruise (even if the date is beyond the FCC “cruise by” deadline). These types of transfers tend to experience significant flexibility when it comes to extending “cruise by” deadlines. (NB: asking for an open ended FCC will not work.)

Good luck.

PS: we got an O email today with port changes for our upcoming January cruise. C’est la vie.  

I think we have both been around the block with various cruise/travel situations and I suspect we both look at it as a challenge and eventually find solutions.  But in this case I can find little excuse for "O."  We have had 5 cruises cancelled because of COVID related issues and never blamed the particular cruise lines.  While we both know the norm is to bum folks off on their cruise agencies (all cruise lines follow this practice) with cancelations we have never had an issue dealing with specific lines customer service folks like the folks at O.  The situation here is that "O" is giving folks 7 calendar days to deal with some major decisions.  Since our particular cruise agency seems to no longer be up to the task (we might not even get to a human in a week) it falls on "O."  I can certainly call "O" back and try to tactfully elevate the situation to a level at which there is the ability to actually make decisions (as opposed to the lower levels where they are limited to scripts).   But I honestly hate playing that game and with a "Premium" Cruise line I should not need to make "noise."

To be very honest, DW and I will sleep on this situation and decide whether we should stick with the cruise and deal with the air situation.  If I trusted "O" not to make further changes in the next few weeks prior to the cruise then that would be an easy decision.  But based on what we have experienced with "O" I am having a tough time trusting them to do anything in the customers best interests.  For example, today O tells us they have changed disembarkation to Santiago, Chile.  That is not even a port.  So we must assume that they will actually port at Valparaiso but I must guess since we have no info from "O."  How does one get from that port to the airport in Santiago?  It is at least a $100 taxi ride (80 miles) and "O" has not come forth with any information (or not even mentioned that they are using that port) or sent us any information about possible transfers.  I believe it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Valpariso to Santiago's Airport but "O" has not seen fit to even mention that minor issue.  The least they could do is inform cruisers that "O" will provide complementary transportation to the airport and what time we could expect to be at that airport (which sure helps for booking flights).  But we no nothing, have no information about disembarkation (other then a projected 8am arrival) and have been essentially told to figure it out or rely on cruise agencies that are generally not expert on this kind of situation.  

So here is the bottom line.  With over fifty years of extensive travel and 45 years of cruise experience we will work it out!  But we will have to do this despite the near worthless e-mail we got from "O."  This does not make me a happy guy.  I think I understand that you are very loyal to "O" (and respect that) but in this situation they have dropped the ball in a big way.  I cannot help but wonder about other folks who are booked on the same voyage who may not have the experience to deal with this kind of problem.   As I mentioned in the other post, we do know of some that coordinated this cruise with visits to Machu Picchu and those folks may really be up the creek without a paddle (or a boat).  For us it comes down to canceling the cruise (if we can figure out how to even accomplish this task) and running the risk of losing a lot of money...or throwing more money into the pot to handle the air situation and possibly having to find our own way more then 75 miles from port to airport in Santiago Chile.  "O" has provided zero information or guidance on this situation.   This is not my idea of fun.   

Hank

• Like 1

No matter where one plans to go and no matter what cruise line on which one plans to sail, in these times it is essential to be both patient & flexible. If you cannot, reconsider travel until the world gets back to normal ….

• Like 7

The port in San Antonio , which is NW of Valparaiso is the current port used for Santiago.

Under the circumstances, I’d have my TA talk to O about providing transfers.

Lots of ads on private transfers between the airport and the cruise terminal. Google is your friend.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think we have both been around the block with various cruise/travel situations and I suspect we both look at it as a challenge and eventually find solutions.  But in this case I can find little excuse for "O."  We have had 5 cruises cancelled because of COVID related issues and never blamed the particular cruise lines.  While we both know the norm is to bum folks off on their cruise agencies (all cruise lines follow this practice) with cancelations we have never had an issue dealing with specific lines customer service folks like the folks at O.  The situation here is that "O" is giving folks 7 calendar days to deal with some major decisions.  Since our particular cruise agency seems to no longer be up to the task (we might not even get to a human in a week) it falls on "O."  I can certainly call "O" back and try to tactfully elevate the situation to a level at which there is the ability to actually make decisions (as opposed to the lower levels where they are limited to scripts).   But I honestly hate playing that game and with a "Premium" Cruise line I should not need to make "noise."

To be very honest, DW and I will sleep on this situation and decide whether we should stick with the cruise and deal with the air situation.  If I trusted "O" not to make further changes in the next few weeks prior to the cruise then that would be an easy decision.  But based on what we have experienced with "O" I am having a tough time trusting them to do anything in the customers best interests.  For example, today O tells us they have changed disembarkation to Santiago, Chile.  That is not even a port.  So we must assume that they will actually port at Valparaiso but I must guess since we have no info from "O."  How does one get from that port to the airport in Santiago?  It is at least a $100 taxi ride (80 miles) and "O" has not come forth with any information (or not even mentioned that they are using that port) or sent us any information about possible transfers.  I believe it is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Valpariso to Santiago's Airport but "O" has not seen fit to even mention that minor issue.  The least they could do is inform cruisers that "O" will provide complementary transportation to the airport and what time we could expect to be at that airport (which sure helps for booking flights).  But we no nothing, have no information about disembarkation (other then a projected 8am arrival) and have been essentially told to figure it out or rely on cruise agencies that are generally not expert on this kind of situation.  

So here is the bottom line.  With over fifty years of extensive travel and 45 years of cruise experience we will work it out!  But we will have to do this despite the near worthless e-mail we got from "O."  This does not make me a happy guy.  I think I understand that you are very loyal to "O" (and respect that) but in this situation they have dropped the ball in a big way.  I cannot help but wonder about other folks who are booked on the same voyage who may not have the experience to deal with this kind of problem.   As I mentioned in the other post, we do know of some that coordinated this cruise with visits to Machu Picchu and those folks may really be up the creek without a paddle (or a boat).  For us it comes down to canceling the cruise (if we can figure out how to even accomplish this task) and running the risk of losing a lot of money...or throwing more money into the pot to handle the air situation and possibly having to find our own way more then 75 miles from port to airport in Santiago Chile.  "O" has provided zero information or guidance on this situation.   This is not my idea of fun.   

Hank

Please know that I am “loyal” to NO vendor of any goods or services. I do currently “prefer” a particular cruise line because their goods and services exactly fit my needs, preferences, expectations and do so within my means. 

That said, in my experience with Oceania over more than a decade, they have always treated us fairly and in a very accommodating way - particularly over the past two years. Our careful choice of TAs has certainly helped when necessary. Yet,  I am convinced that my professional lifetime of “getting to yes” (including within the larger maritime community) also has eased any challenges of interpersonal communication/negotiation with all sorts of decision makers at Oceania.

It may not ease your angst at the moment but... Suffice to say that O will communicate with passengers when there is something to communicate.  What they find out at the end of this 7 day “decision” window will help them determine how best to address the new port transfer question perhaps even as it affects air DIYers. 

FWIW: When, in March 2020,  Nautica needed to disembark in Dubai rather than Singapore “air DIYers” needing to rebook were provided no cost satellite phone service and coverage of air change fees. Technically, O owed them zip. But, O did the “right thing.”

I have other stories regarding O’s flexibility and willingness to consider reasonable requests on a case by case basis. Perhaps some day over a cocktail on a future O cruise, I’ll share the story of how a Saturday night/Sunday morning email exchange reversed a terrible decision about O’s smoking policy.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Please know that I am “loyal” to NO vendor of any goods or services. I do currently “prefer” a particular cruise line because their goods and services exactly fit my needs, preferences, expectations and do so within my means. 

That said, in my experience with Oceania over more than a decade, they have always treated us fairly and in a very accommodating way - particularly over the past two years. Our careful choice of TAs has certainly helped when necessary. Yet,  I am convinced that my professional lifetime of “getting to yes” (including within the larger maritime community) also has eased any challenges of interpersonal communication/negotiation with all sorts of decision makers at Oceania.

It may not ease your angst at the moment but... Suffice to say that O will communicate with passengers when there is something to communicate.  What they find out at the end of this 7 day “decision” window will help them determine how best to address the new port transfer question perhaps even as it affects air DIYers. 

FWIW: When, in March 2020,  Nautica needed to disembark in Dubai rather than Singapore “air DIYers” needing to rebook were provided no cost satellite phone service and coverage of air change fees. Technically, O owed them zip. But, O did the “right thing.”

I have other stories regarding O’s flexibility and willingness to consider reasonable requests on a case by case. Perhaps some day over a cocktail on a future O cruise, I’ll share the story of how a Saturday night/Sunday morning email exchange reversed a terrible decision about O’s smoking policy.

Trust me that we are trying to find the light at the end of this dark tunnel.  I have looked at other blogs (primarily on the following cruise) and folks are pretty upset with the change.  Some are looking at additional air cost of nearly $2000 and others are trying to figure out how to deal with their previous Machu Picchu arrangements.  All are unhappy that "O" has made this change at the last minute and not offered a refund to those who want to cancel.  The problem here is that none of us have the luxury of time since O has given us less then 1 month of notice.  My goodness, their itinerary does not even tell us the actual port (just a city 70 miles from the nearest port).  

I do not doubt that you have had a good past with this company.  In fact we know several folks who had nothing but good experiences prior to COVID.  But we are now in a very tough COVID world where even the best travel providers are being severely challenged.  When we went on Seabourn in July (soon after they resumed operations) they had every venue on the ship (including new options) operating at 100%.  Even if only 2 people went to a particular dining venue it was open and operating in the normal manner.  We read about the early Mariner cruises where venues were closed on a rotating basis (not sure if this is a fact).  The cruise lines are not giving us a discount because they are not operating at 100% so we expect 100%!  We also expect Customer Service that can answer basic questions instead of "call your cruise agent" who would then have to make a call and likely get a non answer.  

Under normal circumstances, with adequate notice, there would be time to evaluate the situation, talk to professionals and make informed decisions.  What O has done is not give us all the information necessary to make a good decision and their customer service folks seem to be in the dark as much as we passengers.   Based on your advice we should spend another $2000 on air with the expectation that eventually (perhaps in 7 days) they will get it right?  

So here is the bottom line.  I can accept that O has done the best they can do given the world situation.  But they should at least offer passengers a complete refund as an option.  Even the airlines (as awful as they can be) are required to refund fares when they make major changes.  And from where I am sitting changing an embarkation port to a completely different country (with less than 30 days notice) is a major change.

Hank

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The port in San Antonio , which is NW of Valparaiso is the current port used for Santiago.

Under the circumstances, I’d have my TA talk to O about providing transfers.

Lots of ads on private transfers between the airport and the cruise terminal. Google is your friend.

The port of San Antonio, Chile is about 60 miles SOUTH of Valpo. 

I would think that everyone would realize that cruising during Covid can be and most likely will be frustrating.  Not to dismiss your frustrations as they are warranted.....but....if you're sailing during Covid you should expect disruptions no doubt.  I'm not cruising until 2023.  Not worth it at all to me now.  Masked cruises?!  No thanks.

• Like 2

I took a cruise that started in Valparaiso in 2017. I thought it was a given that you flew into Santiago when cruising from there. Pretty much like Rome and Civitavecchia. I guess the real sticking point is the last minute change and not what you originally planned on. 

While you are a wealth of experience and information here on CC I also find it odd that you are kicking so much about the cruise line not dealing with you and pointing you toward your TA. Completely common practice.  I'm really surprised you would use a TA that can't handle the issue. I realize you're not happy with Oceania right not but I see that part more on you than Oceania. Good luck with all of it. 

• Like 3

Just to let everyone know that are switching plans I spoke to Oceania this morning and there is a possibility that they may go back to original Dec1

Itinerary.  They heard from Ecuador and Peru overnight and will know Monday which Itinerary they are doing!

Edited by Lorna Doone
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

I took a cruise that started in Valparaiso in 2017. I thought it was a given that you flew into Santiago when cruising from there. Pretty much like Rome and Civitavecchia. I guess the real sticking point is the last minute change and not what you originally planned on. 

While you are a wealth of experience and information here on CC I also find it odd that you are kicking so much about the cruise line not dealing with you and pointing you toward your TA. Completely common practice.  I'm really surprised you would use a TA that can't handle the issue. I realize you're not happy with Oceania right not but I see that part more on you than Oceania. Good luck with all of it. 

Agreed.

Using the air hub city as the name for embarkation makes sense on many obvious fronts.

As for TAs. They are paid commissions by cruise lines to do what amounts to outsourced tasks.

We are booked on this cruise as well. And yes, this is very frustrating. But I'm not sure I would blame O. I'm sure they wouldn't make the change if they had a choice, and I'm sure they completely understand how frustrating inconvenient it is. But they offer a compensation of $1,500 in credits, and $300 per person to cover any flight change fees, which I think is fair.

The latest update: my TA called O to change this cruise to another one in December (Miami to Miami, which looks safer at this point), and was told that they are holding on any changes till Monday because they except another update on Monday. I have no idea what does it mean, maybe they will reverse the decision, who knows, or change the conditions.

So everyone who is booked on this cruise, we have no choice but wait 4 more days for more certainty.

9 minutes ago, Lorna Doone said:

Just to let everyone know that are switching plans I spoke to Oceania this morning and there is a possibility that they may go back to original Dec1

Itinerary.  They heard from Ecuador and Peru overnight and will know Monday which Itinerary they are doing!

And THIS is why O is “damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”

People pi*sed off if O delays final itinerary decisions until they are as sure as they can be while still allowing time to change air routing. And then, when breaking news is “original embarkation is ok,” the same people will complain that O had made the change too soon.

I hate to have to say it but: You’d think that folks who consider themselves “seasoned travelers” would have a clue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1