Covid Testing & Carnival

pitmindi

Hello.  My cruise leaves from Tampa on Sunday 11/14.  Carnival's website you must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test at checkin, taken between 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date.  My friend said we can not get the results of a PCR test back on time for Sunday because the labs don't operate on weekends.  We plan to do the rapid result covid test from Minute-Clinic scheduled through CVS website.  The Carnival person said we need to test between 48-24 hours before the cruise so I should schedule it for Friday 11/12 and that would be acceptable, correct?  Thanks for helping me.  

Yes that is correct.  We sail 10/31, and just did our test at CVS at got our results. We did the rapid Antigen test, which is valid for cruising IF you are vaccinated.  If you are not vaccinated then I can't help with that.  This is what we did in August as well when we sailed (although it was 3 days before the cruise, now it is two days before the cruise)

• Like 2

As the above poster said…..IF you are vaccinated you can get either a PCR or Rapid test done but it must be no more than two days before sailing.

For example if you sail on Sunday you can get tested starting Friday…

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 1

And the OP should have a backup testing plan because CVS is frequently canceling these appointments at the last minute due to a shortage of the supplies.  Look thru the various testing threads on this site to see some of the challenges.   Check into the kind of home test you order ahead of time  and do with a video proctoring service.  

• Like 1

We sail on Sunday and are fully vaccinated. Had our rapid antigen test this morning with the results emailed to us in 15 minutes. Printed out the results and we are ready to sail. There is a local site open 8am-6pm  every day sponsored by our local county health dept. and it was free. I was leary of CVS since I read so many people were having their appts. cancelled. Other states may have similar set ups with the health depts. if people are looking for alternatives to CVS.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

And the OP should have a backup testing plan because CVS is frequently canceling these appointments at the last minute due to a shortage of the supplies.  Look thru the various testing threads on this site to see some of the challenges.   Check into the kind of home test you order ahead of time  and do with a video proctoring service.  

That’s exactly what happened to us….CVS cancelled at the last minute but fortunately we had the at home telehealth tests to fall back on.

We are cruising again next month and already have our home test kits.  We are not dealing with appointment cancellations anymore….too stressful!!

15 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

We sail on Sunday and are fully vaccinated. Had our rapid antigen test this morning with the results emailed to us in 15 minutes. Printed out the results and we are ready to sail. There is a local site open 8am-6pm  every day sponsored by our local county health dept. and it was free. I was leary of CVS since I read so many people were having their appts. cancelled. Other states may have similar set ups with the health depts. if people are looking for alternatives to CVS.

We also are sailing Sunday on Magic. We scheduled our rapid test thru Walgreens. They do the IDNow which is acceptable. Our appointments (there were 3 of us) starting at 9:45 this morning. Since we all had appointments, we could all do it at the same time. We were done and on the road back home at 10:00.  My DH got his results email at 11:30, my friend got hers at 11:36 and I got mine at 11:55. This was our second time using Walgreens, and it’s free.

our backup plan is the MedEx clinic nearby which is open every day and do testing every day. We used them first time in August. Only thing with them is they charge $50 per person. They did our tests, sent us back to wait in the car and we had our results in 15 minutes.

Edited by Bostwick girl
Additional info
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, pitmindi said:

Thanks everyone.  I will get a back up.  There are 5 of traveling in 2 staterooms.  Does  anyone know the name of the home tests that carnival accepts.  

They accept the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth if you are fully vaccinated  Be sure it is the Home Test and not the Self Test.  I got mine on eMed but I think they are out.  I believe Optum has them.  Here is a link: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pitmindi said:

Hello.  My cruise leaves from Tampa on Sunday 11/14.  Carnival's website you must present a negative PCR COVID-19 test at checkin, taken between 72 and 24 hours prior to the sailing date.  My friend said we can not get the results of a PCR test back on time for Sunday because the labs don't operate on weekends.  We plan to do the rapid result covid test from Minute-Clinic scheduled through CVS website.  The Carnival person said we need to test between 48-24 hours before the cruise so I should schedule it for Friday 11/12 and that would be acceptable, correct?  Thanks for helping me.  

That information is incorrect for VACCINATED cruisers.

Are you vaccinated? If so you need a rapid antigen test within 48 hours.

You are not reading the website correctly and I would probably go back and re read that information as you may have read other information incorrectly.

The website clearly explains information for VACCINATED guests and then goes on to explain what those UNVACCINATED guests with an EXEMPTION must do.

Edited by K_e_short
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone for your help. I read it again, correctly this time (I hope) and since we are all vaccinated we need to have a test within 2 Days before our cruise so we will schedule Friday appointments for the 24hour tests through the  CVS website for our Sunday cruise and also either schedule through Walgreens or buy the home tests just in case.  I really don’t want to miss our cruise because we botched the Covid testing requirement.   

• Like 2

On 10/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, AK2CA said:

They accept the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth if you are fully vaccinated  Be sure it is the Home Test and not the Self Test.  I got mine on eMed but I think they are out.  I believe Optum has them.  Here is a link: https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack/

I clicked on the Optum test link ON THE CARNIVAL SITE and after answering their stupid questions, I was told that I'm not eligible.  Holy Hell.  And there's no way to get answers from Carnival because their contact phone numbers only connect to bookings, managing reservations, tech problems and post cruise comments.

1 hour ago, alexmom said:

I clicked on the Optum test link ON THE CARNIVAL SITE and after answering their stupid questions, I was told that I'm not eligible.  Holy Hell.  And there's no way to get answers from Carnival because their contact phone numbers only connect to bookings, managing reservations, tech problems and post cruise comments.

What reason did you receive for not being eligible?

On 10/29/2021 at 9:16 PM, AK2CA said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I bought this multipack can both myself and my boyfriend use tests out of the same pack?

1 hour ago, going to see the world said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I bought this multipack can both myself and my boyfriend use tests out of the same pack?

Yes.  I've read others that have done this.  But, they have reported that you each need to have your own Navica app and/or eMed account.  You cannot be logged into the same account for the test for both of you.  Hopefully someone that has shared the packs will report more details for you.

4 hours ago, alexmom said:

I was told that I'm not eligible.

I just went through the questions and was told I am not eligible as well🤔

When it asks if you are buying for yourself or someone else if you select someone else you become not eligible. Actually I would be buying the 3 pack for myself and someone else so both answers are accurate. When I closed out then attempted to purchase again I checked that I was buying for myself and I am eligible.

To be honest I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I am still leaning toward Walgreens as my test option with a CVS appointment as a backup.

Ok this Covid testing business is stressing me out. If I get the Rapid Antigen test from my doctor am I good for travel?  What do I need? a doctors note?  If I can't get this Binax now for Christmas Eve( our cruise leaves Pt. Canaveral Dec 26)  then I don't know what else to do! 

This is getting ridiculous and just another money maker for Carnival. They now offer a limited number of rapid testing for 100.00 a person. They say to get the at home test, no one has those. This is ridiculous. They give unvaccinated people 72 hrs to before boarding to get the test but those of us vaccinated only 48 hrs and no one can guarantee test back by then.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cingroomer said:

This is getting ridiculous and just another money maker for Carnival. They now offer a limited number of rapid testing for 100.00 a person. They say to get the at home test, no one has those. This is ridiculous. They give unvaccinated people 72 hrs to before boarding to get the test but those of us vaccinated only 48 hrs and no one can guarantee test back by then.

The reason why non-vax get 72 hrs are they are doing PCR tests- which generally come back 24-72 hours later, vaxxed can do rapid which come back in about 1 hour.

I was able to order the proctored home tests online without issue. I haven’t heard anyone in my cruise group say they had a problem getting those. I’m keeping it as a backup though, because I also made appointments at CVS and Walgreens for the free rapid tests. CVS cancelled mine so the second site was a good call. 

its a little work and a little more stress but it’s really not that Herculean a task.

Edited by gnocchi_mommy
  • Like 4

If you live in the U.S. the at home tests would be your best bet.

I'm cruising out of Port Canaveral Dec 26th as well (Mardi Gras).

I would also think that if Carnival can arrange testing for Thanksgiving they will do the same for Christmas.

42 minutes ago, cingroomer said:

I don't think it's a money maker at all.

Carnival is a cheap cruise line so you get what you pay for. The cruiselines that offer testing are WAY MORE then $100 per person. 

And Americans have the luxury of getting free tests to cruise. I have to pay $40 CAD X 2 and $179 USD X2 to cruise as I'm Canadian. 

I would think that testing costs should be expected and part of your travel budget.

• Like 2