Group "Live" thread: Majestic 11/6 - 11/13 Mexican Riviera

CineGraphic

I've really appreciated all of the live threads since cruising restarted, so I'm inviting everyone on our roll call to contribute their insights, experiences, and photos for our upcoming cruise on the Majestic.

We have not been on a Royal Class ship since the Regal's inaugural  season almost 6 years ago, as we prefer the smaller, older ships.

Our last cruise was on the Crown in February of 2020, just before the shutdown.

Today, Pam & I will drop off our Wheaten Terrier, Woodley at the dog sitters and then head to CVS for our Covid tests. We made our appointments 2 weeks ago.

I've stopped counting how many times my schnoz has been swabbed over the past year, as on some of the shows I've worked on have required daily tests.

Holy Moly! While I was typing this, we both received emails from CVS cancelling our appointments!

For some unexplained reason, the location we booked has been temporarily closed.

I jumped on the phone immediately, and thankfully, I was able to re-book at another location.

This is not how I like to start of my day. I want to relax, not panic about everything, so Pam & I have decided to just find the humor in everything.

Nothing is going to ruin our vacation.

Tomorrow, we have to get up at the ungodly hour of 3:00am to be at the airport by 4:30 for a 6:30 flight.

Hopefully, the plane will be void of any whackos and everyone will behave themselves, as I'd like to use the time to catch up on some of that sleep I'll miss by getting up so early. (reminding myself right now that nothing will ruin our vacation)

We'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro, just 3 blocks from the port.

The sedan service we booked over a month ago to pick us up at the airport cancelled on us last week, and the competitors he referred us to were all double the price, so it's Uber to the rescue....that, or a taxi. (time to remind myself yet again, nothing will ruin our vacation)

Well, that's it for now....time to pack, and hopefully not forget anything.

• Like 16

.... "I want to relax, not panic about everything, so Pam & I have decided to just find the humor in everything.

Nothing is going to ruin our vacation."  

My money is on you, wonderful attitude !

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We drove to CVS, took our test in the parking lot (it was empty by the way) and as we walked in the door at home, we had our Negative test results!

Now to start packing!

LA Cruiser which CVA?  We are in Pasadena and do this cruise on the 27th so I am just beginning to search for a test on Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

LA Cruiser which CVA?  We are in Pasadena and do this cruise on the 27th so I am just beginning to search for a test on Thanksgiving!

We went to CVS, 5623 Kanan Road, Agoura Hills. 

We made our appt 2 weeks ago (online), the 1st day that appts opened for today.  I commented how empty the location was and the testing person said that they were booked for today and that appts are scheduled so as to not have many people there at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PasadenaDave said:

Hi @PasadenaDave, I believe CVS has only select locations that do the Rapid antigen tests, when you are on their website, it will ask you to input your zip code. For Pasadena, I think the closest location that does the Rapid test is the Arcadia location on Baldwin, just south of the Racetrack and Mall. I have had 2 test done there previously and results were back within an hour. CVS must have had issues this last October, as no SoCal locations showed Rapid testing availability, but they did have PCR. I did the PCR for my Oct 16 cruise and got the results in about 30 hours.

I have booked CVS for rapid test for my Nov 10 cruise, so hoping I do not get a cancellation notice as a few have posted can happen, have a backup just in case.

With the 25th being Thanksgiving, I do not know if CVS will be open, you should be fine scheduling for morning of the 26th, but you have to decide if this will stress you out.

17 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Hi @PasadenaDave, I believe CVS has only select locations that do the Rapid antigen tests, when you are on their website, it will ask you to input your zip code. For Pasadena, I think the closest location that does the Rapid test is the Arcadia location on Baldwin, just south of the Racetrack and Mall. I have had 2 test done there previously and results were back within an hour. CVS must have had issues this last October, as no SoCal locations showed Rapid testing availability, but they did have PCR. I did the PCR for my Oct 16 cruise and got the results in about 30 hours.

I have booked CVS for rapid test for my Nov 10 cruise, so hoping I do not get a cancellation notice as a few have posted can happen, have a backup just in case.

With the 25th being Thanksgiving, I do not know if CVS will be open, you should be fine scheduling for morning of the 26th, but you have to decide if this will stress you out.

We used the kit through E-MED https://www.emed.com/  it was sent to the house in a couple of days and it took about 25 minutes with instant results this morning.  I believe they work 24/7  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pkt1976 said:

I took my at home test this morning and passed yay! Thanks for starting this, I was going to do a live as well. Will be great to have several contributors! 

Looking forward to reading your posts...once again! I enjoyed your previous cruise notes. Welcome back!

• Like 1

Well….CVS just threw us another curveball.

When they rescheduled our tests for this afternoon, they scheduled me for a rapid test, and Pam for a regular, non-rapid test. We didn’t find this out until we arrived and they claimed that there was nothing they could do, so we rushed to our local urgent care clinic who were more than happy to test us right away. 

We’re trying to laugh about it, but it gets harder with each screw-up. I don’t think we’ve ever had so many things go wrong before a vacation……let’s hope that this is the end of all this nonsense. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

Looking forward to reading your posts...once again! I enjoyed your previous cruise notes. Welcome back!

Thank you! Hopefully the internet and Cruise critic sign in work better for me this time 😁

31 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We’re trying to laugh about it, but it gets harder with each screw-up. I don’t think we’ve ever had so many things go wrong before a vacation……let’s hope that this is the end of all this nonsense.

Hopefully everything else goes smoothly for you. 🤞

Our 10/23 Majestic boarding process went smoothly and dropped off our luggage at 1015, parked our car and quickly went through security & check-in to the Elite lounge. Despite arriving early we were in the 2nd group of Elites to board in plenty of time for noon lunch in Concerto. Rooms weren’t ready & we could have put our carryons in the hallway but instead took them to the dining room where they were kept inside the entrance. After 2 years away from cruising it was great to be at sea again. 😁

• Like 4

@CineGraphic.  I am so sorry to hear about your CVS issues.  I don't trust them anymore and have found other venues to get my testing done at.  I am glad some were able to schedule 2 weeks out.  I scheduled a regular post cruise free PCR test with Walgreens for Friday...just to be on the safe side.  

A bit of warning for those arriving into LAX.  They have changed how you pick up a shared ride.  

https://www.flylax.com/lax-it

You will need to walk or get a shuttle bus to the ride share parking lot pick up.  This is the main reason I am now avoiding LAX like the plague.  I use Long Beach as my home airport now.  There are other reasons for staying away from LAX...but won't go there (literally) now.

Enjoy your pre-cruise night and let the fun begin.

PS...on my way back from Cabo, The Majestic passed us going south last weekend.  Fun to watch two ships pass in the ...day.. Lots of people were out photographing Princess' return to cruising.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

We are flying in & out of LGB.....we used LAX for our 2018 sailing, and I said to myself then, "there must be a better way".

Excellent choice!  If it weren't for COVID, I'd offer you a free ride.  Sorry...I am overly cautious these days.  I know, you are vaccinated and recently took a COVID test....but...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wallyj said:

Thanks I plan to hit the phone tomorrow to find availability close by.  Just returned from getting booster 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Thanks I plan to hit the phone tomorrow to find availability close by.  Just returned from getting booster 

It is a useless cycle trying to contact CVS by phone (been there/done that).  Sameday Health in Brea is the easiest way to get you test.

https://app.samedayhealth.com/booking/california--orange-county--brea-plaza?wmode=opaque

36 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Excellent choice!  If it weren't for COVID, I'd offer you a free ride.  Sorry...I am overly cautious these days.  I know, you are vaccinated and recently took a COVID test....but...

What a lovely offer.....we're actually looking forward to the taxi rodeo. Let the adventure begin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here I go again for some sun, fun and vitamin sea. I’ve been having issues posting etc on Cruise Critic, but I’ll do my best. Worst case I’ll write posts and post them  as I can. 

This will be my 2nd time on the Majestic, both this year, and I’ll go for a triple play in a few weeks. 

Between credits I had and the very inexpensive pricing, I got amazing deals on this cruise and the next one, so good I feel a bit guilty so I’ll be doing things on these cruises I usually do not, so it will be new adventures and experiences for me as well. 

I did my Binax at home covid test this morning. I couldn’t sleep so did it at about 5:45 am 😆 I had watched a YouTube video so I knew what to expect. I have another test for my cruise later this month. 

• I bought an Enclave Pass 
  • I’m going to try to sign up for either Chefs table or Winemakers dinner. I have a shellfish allergy so have never tried but others have posted they were able to participate and the chef made accommodations, so I’m going to try. 
  • I’m planning on trying one or two of the specialty dinner restaurants, depending on if I get to do one of the other dinners. 
  • I may do something I have never done, stay on the ship I’m Cabo and just Enjoy the ship. We will see how it goes. 
  • I’m planning to take the public ferry to Stone Island, find a beach restaurant, get a chair and umbrella and just chill 
  • In PV I’m doing the Las Caletas excursion. I’ve gone a few times and loved it. Very peaceful and beautiful place to spend a day. 
  •  

It will be so fun to read different perspectives and experiences.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, pkt1976 said:

Here I go again for some sun, fun and vitamin sea. I’ve been having issues posting etc on Cruise Critic, but I’ll do my best. Worst case I’ll write posts and post them  as I can. 

This will be my 2nd time on the Majestic, both this year, and I’ll go for a triple play in a few weeks. 

Between credits I had and the very inexpensive pricing, I got amazing deals on this cruise and the next one, so good I feel a bit guilty so I’ll be doing things on these cruises I usually do not, so it will be new adventures and experiences for me as well. 

I did my Binax at home covid test this morning. I couldn’t sleep so did it at about 5:45 am 😆 I had watched a YouTube video so I knew what to expect. I have another test for my cruise later this month. 

• I bought an Enclave Pass 
  • I’m going to try to sign up for either Chefs table or Winemakers dinner. I have a shellfish allergy so have never tried but others have posted they were able to participate and the chef made accommodations, so I’m going to try. 
  • I’m planning on trying one or two of the specialty dinner restaurants, depending on if I get to do one of the other dinners. 
  • I may do something I have never done, stay on the ship I’m Cabo and just Enjoy the ship. We will see how it goes. 
  • I’m planning to take the public ferry to Stone Island, find a beach restaurant, get a chair and umbrella and just chill 
  • In PV I’m doing the Las Caletas excursion. I’ve gone a few times and loved it. Very peaceful and beautiful place to spend a day. 
  •  

It will be so fun to read different perspectives and experiences.

Have fun my friend!  I might stay onboard the whole time.  My wife knew all the "flea market" vendors by name and they her name.  She is curious to see how many are still around?

She is trying to talk me into going to our favorite restaurant in PV, "Pipi's."  They have the best coconut margaritas, guacamole and grilled lobster in town!

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 2