Cruising out of New York/New Jersey

mfs2k

19 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I've lived in the suburbs of New York for my whole life and my wife has lived here for 25 years.

We've taken 2 cruises (out of about 14) from NY/NJ together and we just booked another for next year.  ("Beyond" repositioning 9 night 10/26/22 from Cape Liberty, NJ to Fort Lauderdale with stops in Bermuda, Aruba and Curacao)

My wife:  "I love the convenience of sailing out of the NY area but the problem is we're sailing with a boatload of intense, super wired, and obnoxious New Yorkers and New Jerseyites.  People sailing out of Florida or New Orleans are so much nicer! " 

Me:  [thinking]  "Yeah, they're all intense like us."

LOL!  Sailing out of Bayonne attracts cruisers from NY, NJ, PA, MD and parts of New England.  In general, northeasterners that would like to drive to the cruise port and not fly.  In these days a COVID, a great plus for many people.  There are many nice folks from these areas that cruise in my experience in cruising out of Bayonne.  I am in the Philly suburbs but grew up in the Boston suburbs.  Maybe some cruisers are wired and intense and obnoxious too as your wife states.  But I have seen these folks from FL ports too.  Where do the snow birds come from?  Or the many permanent residents of FL that came from the northeast states.  People are people.  Just avoid the obnoxious ones wherever you are on land or at sea.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

My parents and sister and her family are on LI so we visit each month. The traffic getting to and from LI is evidence of the popularity of Nassau and Suffolk counties despite the high taxes. 

To the topic of this thread yes it's full of generalizations and stereotypes and the truth as always is somewhere in the middle. 

As someone already mentioned you'll find good and not so good people everywhere you go. So try to seek out and interact with the good people and learn to minimize friction with those who are problematic. 

Well said ....Amen!

Long Island,,..high taxes, congestion and a new wave of semi hi rise over development. Plus some of the not so nice people have come into our area with the dangers they bring with them....

But we have great schools,  excellent medical facilities, lovely parks, beaches, wineries and neighborhoods... great people overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LGW59 said:

agree, but your blanket comments re NY and Texans, quite harsh.  Much can be said of Philly, or any other big US city.  Enjoy your brownie.

I can't speak to the NY  comments, but I'm quite comfortable doing so with regard to the comments made about Texans on Galveston sailings. 

It wasn't that harsh of a statement. Believe me. 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

This thread making generalizations about people from different states and areas is highly subjective and will likely degenerate at best.  Maybe a quick end to it would be the best. 

You are so right, some nasty stuff here.  We took 2 repos from Boston to southern Florida on Royal.  There may have been some bad folks but they were from all over the place including Canada and the Midwest.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

With all due respect, wife and I are both retired LEOs and that is so far from the truth.

I’ll clarify… if you go looking to find the worst in people, you’ll be sure to find it.  But what would I know, I’m an intense, super wired, and obnoxious Jerseyite.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DenGNNJ said:

I’ll clarify… if you go looking to find the worst in people, you’ll be sure to find it.  But what would I know, I’m an intense, super wired, and obnoxious Jerseyite.

I’m also from Jersey, spent 60 years in North Jersey and South Jersey.  I’m sure you are not obnoxious.

I've cruised from ports all over the world and I can honestly say that I've found it relatively easy to find some common ground with almost any cruiser.  Sure, there may be regional differences but isn't that one of the reasons we travel?  I think meeting different people of different backgrounds has been one of my favorite aspects of cruising.

I just returned from a cruise out of Bayonne (Oasis o/t Seas) and we had fabulous time.  I did see one guy wearing an intentionally provocative tshirt, but there was certainly no reason that anyone would need to engage with him on that particular issue.   Mostly I met people who simply wanted to relax and enjoy all the ammenities a beautiful ship can provide.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:41 PM, kwokpot said:

There's truth in what you're saying. 

On the other hand the same can be said sailing out of Galveston with Texans on board all telling you about about their flag and that they can secede from the Union. In many respects Texans are very much like NY'ers. 

I cannot believe people have said these things.  I find obnoxious people all over the world- not in one specific state.  A little narrow minded.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oville said:

To outer Long Island?

We usually refer to the " East end ", north and south fork, and western LI .  Geographically, parts of NYC incl  Bklyn and  Queens are part of LI too, but are part of NYC gov. 

There is crime pretty much all over..spurred by NYs change in bail laws.

In "regular" LI there is gang activity.  We also have human trafficking, gun crimes, robbery, break ins,  assaults, school violence  homeless camps, etc as population shifts out here.  Brentwood in Islip was/is?  ground zero for gangs and MS 13 and other gangs in  Nassau too. And yes, no neigjborhoods or areas are immune.

Still nice but  increasingly congested as dev  bring urban style developments to our Towns  .  Mineola my  orig " home town,"  has def undergone a fair amt of urbanization.

Long Island  .... not the sleepy suburbs anymore! Just need to be aware and careful..

45 minutes ago, hcat said:

We usually refer to the " East end ", north and south fork, and western LI .  Geographically, parts of NYC incl  Bklyn and  Queens are part of LI too, but are part of NYC gov. 

There is crime pretty much all over..spurred by NYs change in bail laws.

In "regular" LI there is gang activity.  We also have human trafficking, gun crimes, robbery, break ins,  assaults, school violence  homeless camps, etc as population shifts out here.  Brentwood in Islip was/is?  ground zero for gangs and MS 13 and other gangs in  Nassau too. And yes, no neigjborhoods or areas are immune.

Still nice but  increasingly congested as dev  bring urban style developments to our Towns  .  Mineola my  orig " home town,"  has def undergone a fair amt of urbanization.

Long Island  .... not the sleepy suburbs anymore! Just need to be aware and careful..

Ha..just got a Ring alert..  Shots Fired ..two miles from our home! Not so uncommon!

But to clarify..we are nowhere's near NY or NJ ports...and we are either in Fl or fly down to Board our cruises!

Edited by hcat

14 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I remember one cruise when everyone was still boarding.  People crowded around the bar on the pool deck to get their first drink. I’m from NY and I know those NY and New Jersey accents. These two poor bartenders were doing their best to pour drinks while being shouted at “Over here!” “Can I have my drinks now!” “ Hey bartender!”  
it was a moment to remember. 
By day 2 of the 8 night cruise people calmed down. 

General  comments were ok but  ridiculing regional accents is a bit much.. substitute other accents and you might see this is not nice.

Time to report and " block,"

On 11/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, mfs2k said:

I've lived in the suburbs of New York for my whole life and my wife has lived here for 25 years.

We've taken 2 cruises (out of about 14) from NY/NJ together and we just booked another for next year.  ("Beyond" repositioning 9 night 10/26/22 from Cape Liberty, NJ to Fort Lauderdale with stops in Bermuda, Aruba and Curacao)

My wife:  "I love the convenience of sailing out of the NY area but the problem is we're sailing with a boatload of intense, super wired, and obnoxious New Yorkers and New Jerseyites.  People sailing out of Florida or New Orleans are so much nicer! " 

Me:  [thinking]  "Yeah, they're all intense like us."

That's the Snowbird cruise. Many snowbirds migrating back to Florida for the winter. That's a great itinerary.  I have done Reposition cruises in reverse on Celebrity and Princess from Puerto Rico to NY NJ. The New Yorkers and Jerseyites aren't has intense on those two lines like they are on Carnival and NCL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

General  comments were ok but  ridiculing regional accents is a bit much.. substitute other accents and you might see this is not nice.

Time to report and " block,"

I’m not ridiculing. That’s silly. If I said “ southern accent” would you be offended 

On 11/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, hcat said:

We live on Long Island NY.. We have no issues cruising out of Red Hook, NYC or Bayonne,.  We do find it easier to fly to Fla.. no traffic to the  port..instant warm weather, no snow on the car upon return to Bayonne.

We did an 9 day cruise on Royal from Cape Liberty which meant it left on a Thursday.  It took us close to 3 hours to get to Bayonne from Nassau County during morning rush hour traffic. I told my wife we could flown to Florida and been at the port in that time.

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, 808lady said:

I sailed on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Bayonne and it was the first cruise I have taken where almost everyone on board was from near the home port.  Other cruises the passengers have been from everywhere.

I find this to be true as well. If you have to fly anyway why would anyone want to fly to NY NJ to sail to the Caribbean.  The only logical itineraries for someone who has to fly would be Bermuda or Canada New England.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Oville said:

I did. Maybe I missed it but nothing in the Hamptons or Islip.  Brooklyn and Queens some.

During his term, President Trump came to Long Island to address issue with the MS 13 gangs. The Hamptons are not a representation of Long Island. It's the summer playground for the rich and famous with private beaches and high security.