Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

Aboard the Journey: slight correction to my previous info on the Exploring Senegal excursion from Banjul Gambia: 

"By the way, onboard accounts are charged USD50 for the Gambia visa and USD56 for the Ghana visa (for most nationalities)."

I got them backwards - it was USD56 for the Gambia visa (for citizens of Bulgaria, Czechia, Iceland, Portugal, South Africa, Switzerland, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine, US - presumably other nationalities are either free or weren't represented on our tour). Note the Gambia visa is multiple entry, allowing you to get back to the ship after entering Senegal! Ghana visa was USD50, no nationalities indicated so presumably all nationalities represented needed. 

For the future, we are told that Namibia visas will be done through the ship for those needing (only Bulgaria, Czechia, Poland, Turkey listed) for USD135.

Visa fees are charged directly to your onboard account. It's nice that Azamara does not seem to charge an extra fee for its part in the visas.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, uktog said:

Due to sea conditions Onward will not call at Virgin Gorda on Friday where tendering would be a challenge but fair play we are going to dock in Tortola a new island for us 

Tortola is a lovely island. I hope you enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ithikan said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with a visit to Tortola.  We spent a delightful week at the Sugar Mill Hotel on Tortola - fabulous restaurants, beaches.  Reservations at the Rum House mean dining within the 400 year stone walls of the restaurant - an unbeatable ambiance.  I hope you enjoy the island!

Thanks. We sure will but we are only there until 1330 so plans have to reflect that. 

Just for those on future itineraries having the Azamazing evening in St Kitts it really is a lovely event with pretty strong rum punches!  I’d possibly take an umbrella as we had sprinkles but they came to nothing. 

Last night they could not do the new show due to technical issues. Martin did one show I hear was good. As it was at 2015 we were still dining then so unfortunately missed it. 

Tonight is White Night. It’s breezy but dry. Unfortunately the menu in the MDR is much reduced from how it used to be on White Night - three courses limited choice nothing special. Still trying to decide what to do as I struggle to cope in a buffet crowds these days. Also I will

not be wearing white and whilst I know it’s not required the whole voyage we’ve had marketing everywhere doing promotional stuff and I fear I’d muck it up for them! 

• Haha 1

A question for someone currently aboard:

We're sailing in a CC suite next week and will probably eat several meals in the specialty restaurants. Has Azamara figured out table shares for the specialties the way they're done in the main dining room? Oceania has no trouble doing this.

We love meeting new people and sharing a meal.

Thanks for your input.

23 minutes ago, tgg said:

A question for someone currently aboard:

We're sailing in a CC suite next week and will probably eat several meals in the specialty restaurants. Has Azamara figured out table shares for the specialties the way they're done in the main dining room? Oceania has no trouble doing this.

We love meeting new people and sharing a meal.

Thanks for your input.

No they haven’t. If you meet another couple who plan to eat at the same time as you, you can ask to change your table from 2 to 4.

14 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

No they haven’t. If you meet another couple who plan to eat at the same time as you, you can ask to change your table from 2 to 4.

Thanks for your quick response. Perhaps we can find others on our roll call.

We ate part of the meal in the MDR then moved to the deck 

9445A819-AC6A-41F8-BE46-E6AC6935D706.thumb.jpeg.110763ca603ad7cbf43beb7bc9e94cca.jpeg

Iwans crepe Suzette were the best we’ve ever had. I heard mixed views on the other food. Certainly I’d planned to indulge in cheese but there wasn’t the usual display of special cheeses and I’m pretty sure there were no lobsters. 

62C8B467-863B-43E3-B0EB-8D1416FBC9B8.thumb.jpeg.3ea70c4768210a411504763a0668b612.jpeg

Party was using the old playlist- they did as best they could we no Eric and no signature singers as they are new onboard. The Hotel Director was helping out with some of the numbers. We left port before the end so it got a bit breezy. Despite a few sprinkles I felt most folks enjoyed. And it was good to see those without white gear felt able to be there. I wasn’t the only one not in a white top 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tony did a great job singing about five numbers, The other four songsabout none stop on stage,dance floor was very busy.  I did not eat  as I really can dance much if full. 

it was windy in deck 10 but prefer in 9 s we were dancing.

also in case someone does not use social media Eric’s did now home.

the new Atlas bar been busy when I am there. The slow time seems to be around 8 at night.

2 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

Any word on Eric returning?  Will Iwan stay on for the next cruise?

As far as I know Eric will be  back Dec 12th. This is per Martin, His Dad out  of hospital now.

Iwan here for a  while. Not sure weeks or months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For those on 12/12 Onward Captain G has just announced we are returning to Terminal C not J that we departed from. 

Unfortunately we will experience 3-5m swell and 45knots winds on the way back starting in a few hours. 

Tortola was an absolute delight. We took an island tour 2 hours (it was nearer 2.5) with the local scoutmaster as driver. Delightful guy took 16 walk ups in a safari type bus all around sharing his hopes for the future and his desire to prepare the next generation to make the best of the island and all it offered. 

Internet is playing up (it’s been absolutely appalling all cruise) so can’t post photos but will do when I can 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, uktog said:

For those on 12/12 Onward Captain G has just announced we are returning to Terminal C not J that we departed from. 

Unfortunately we will experience 3-5m swell and 45knots winds on the way back starting in a few hours. 

Tortola was an absolute delight. We took an island tour 2 hours (it was nearer 2.5) with the local scoutmaster as driver. Delightful guy took 16 walk ups in a safari type bus all around sharing his hopes for the future and his desire to prepare the next generation to make the best of the island and all it offered. 

Internet is playing up (it’s been absolutely appalling all cruise) so can’t post photos but will do when I can 

Glad you had a good time in Tortola.

On our last cruise from MIami, we parked at Terminal J and came back to Terminal C.  There was a free shuttle that quickly took us to the Terminal J garage.  You might want to mention this to Tony so it can be communicated in written form to passengers.

We look forward to boarding on Monday.

• Like 1

Weird..best internet for me  on any ship in 2022. I posted pictures on social media whenever I can. Guess I use the less busy times of days. Been on several sites today.  

In general this ship has rock since leaving Miami and we changed ports twice. Meanwhile at home lots of rain.

I cannot work at all on Onward. Tried different devices, locations and times of day. My connection to our work remote server is too weak to allow me to clear security protocols. I’m not the only one having this issue which I did not have in the summer on Journey or Quest. 

It’s a big deal for me, it’s not about social chit chat it’s about remote working. I can do it on other lines I’ve done it on other ships in the Azamara family but having tested the download speeds they are very low indeed. 

13 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Has the patio been open on this Onward Caribbean cruise most every night for dinner?  And lunch?

Always open for lunch open some evenings but not all. Might try it tonight as the MDR hasn’t been great in terms of the temperature of the food 

• Thanks 1

Tortola really was so lovely and colourful.
89829692-CBEC-406F-B991-1F015EDC6312.thumb.jpeg.6e236d106f36f029b1ba526c17a0fb26.jpeg

28F9C413-8EE2-4D2A-A938-3EE6CC641C39.thumb.jpeg.cb2166118e35f9bbe637dea862eecc71.jpeg

Best trip from a walk up booking

9DBF94F4-FF64-482F-9918-99CC30EA1C4E.thumb.jpeg.995dd731a5c306378f2500a9373d36fc.jpeg

Beautiful Sugarcane beach 

Lovely views 

786063CF-4F21-47E6-8A8E-E4C586CF8381.thumb.jpeg.e7954780b54337350f3b550b97fd261e.jpeg

An old rum distillery 

736E657A-8F50-403C-9232-56DAF71B5FD1.thumb.jpeg.537aaa8d282765349a24128baab182af.jpeg

And Happy Christmas decorations 

7061680F-8D70-4D90-B81B-C5660AD1C60F.thumb.jpeg.f0757c070112a5117c53e98d91d34048.jpeg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Any word on Eric returning?  Will Iwan stay on for the next cruise?

Confirmed last night Eric is now making arrangements to rejoin on 12th in Miami. 

Last night second of the new production shows - Wanderlust- a nice collection of songs and dancing though the “story” was a little hard to work out. Cast did well. None of them have worked on ships before so they had to adapt to the movement- especially the two dancers. 

Got our first 100% correct meal properly cooked and served at the right temperature in the MDR last night - yippee- unfortunately others around had made different choices and were less lucky. I’d say generally avoid duck, quail, pheasant onboard they can’t get that right. Pork and chicken works in our experience fish is hit or miss. But it’s inconsistent a couple can order identical dishes one gets a good offering the others is inedible. They know they have issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1